PDA

View Full Version : Swirls w/ Z-5?

7a7SS
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello all,

I have a black silverado with some light/moderate swirls. I picked up a Lowes PC last night. Would a orange pad with the Z5 be enough to remove my swirls?

TIA,

Duan

tripper_11
03-09-2005, 10:04 AM
I doubt it. Z5 is designed to fill the swirls not cut the paint. So, if ever, the swirls disappeared, it may have been filled, but any moderate to heavy swirls will remain.

Or if it happean to remove light swirls, it could not have been because of the fillers, but rather the action of the polishing pad alone.

dternst
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Z5 is a filler and will only hide spider webbing, light marring, etc. Z5 does not contain any abrasives and therefore will not remove any imperfections.

Pepboys and AutoZone carry 3M products (3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Cars & 3M Fine Cut) if you need something for this weekend.

Mirror Images
03-09-2005, 10:15 AM
I talked to Sal yesterday and he told me exactly what the other guys said. Z-5 has no cutting properties. It just fills. If you apply 2 coats of Z-5 and still see swirls....you`ll need a product with cutting capabilities. On my car I used the SSR2.5 with the lakewood orange pad and came back with a glaze then applied Z-1, Z-5, and Z-2. It turned out better than I could ever imagine. Especially for a stock Ford paint job.

RedondoV6
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
What everyoen else said .. Z5 will only fill the most minor of swirls ... look for an abrasive polish to perfect the paint before applying Zaino for the best finish.