PDA

View Full Version : Vinylex ok for leather seats?

thAviEtbOi 37
03-09-2005, 04:55 AM
is it ok if i use vinylex to clean my leather seats? the otherday, i accidently got some vinylex on my seats and when whiped off it seem t get rid of the dirt that I thought was the color of my seats. I usually use meguiars 2in1, but it seem uncomparable to the vinylex in cleaning. So is this ok?

Alfisti
03-09-2005, 05:14 AM
Are you talking about Vinylex cleaner or conditioner?

togwt
03-09-2005, 07:25 AM
Vinyl cleaners use a detergent cleaner and provide light oil to replace the plastizers and maintain its elasticity (to avoid cracking). Do not use- vinyl dressing on leather as it will clog the pores of the leather and not allow any essential oils to permeate to the fibre, which will cause the leather to dry out and crack

To clean leather one of the best ways is to use a 6:1 Wooliteâ„¢ /distilled water solution.

Vinyl conditioner oils are not suitable for leather; a vinyl surface doesnâ€â„¢t need oil that will permeate the material (unlike leather)

JonM

kartoon
03-09-2005, 08:32 AM
thAviEtbOi 37, Lexol had a dedicated Leather Cleeaner and Leather Conditioner. If you like to use their products, use those two.

Like Jon said, don`t use Vinylex on your leather. It`s OK to use leather products on vinyl or plastic but not the other way around.

thAviEtbOi 37
03-10-2005, 01:13 AM
thanks for the help guys:xyxthumbs Just to clear it up, I did not purposely use vinylex on my leather seats, just overspray when doing the vonyl. I think I will thry the lexol leather cleaner and conditionner next, hopefully it will be better then the meguiars for their price

gearhead
03-10-2005, 02:31 AM
If you`re using Meg`s GC, Lexol cleaner/conditioner will most certainly be an improvement. I prefer Woolite and Z10 though.:up

thAviEtbOi 37
03-10-2005, 07:28 PM
woolite as in the laundry detergent?

togwt
03-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by thAviEtbOi 37

woolite as in the laundry detergent?

The very same-

Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit`s Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar`s hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

JonM

salty
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
But aren`t MOST leather seats clear coated? Therefore it can be treated like your dash. But no solvent or silicone oil.

Steve530
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by salty

But aren`t MOST leather seats clear coated? Therefore it can be treated like your dash. But no solvent or silicone oil.

The seats in my car are not vinyl coated.

artm3
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

The very same-

Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit`s Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar`s hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

JonM

do you condition after?

the leather in my car (e46 M3) is black nappa, with a matte finish, this sounds like it would look good, not shiny...

salty
03-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Most would apply to the big 3.