PDA

View Full Version : Buffer suggestions

Stratous
03-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Been a long time since I`ve been here, but now that summer is coming I am making a come back.

This wee (maybe tonight) I plan on ordering two kits by Pinnacle.

-Pinnacle Swirl Remover Kit

-Pinnacle Souveran Concours Wax Kit

The plan is to take a 2000 (?) Ford Explorer Sport-Trac (Red), that hasn`t been touched in years and make it shine like new. It has very minor scratches, but major swirls.

The chemical plan:

1. Bodywork Shampoo

2. Advanced Swirl Remover (machine apply)

3. Swirl Remover (machine apply)

4. Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (machine apply)

5. Liquid Souveran Wax (hand apply)

6. Terry Cloth Bonnet (machine)

7. Microfiber Bonnet (machine)

But, should I splurg and get the PC 7424, or should I still with the Makita orbital buffer and get new pads?

I`ve been really considering getting the PorterCable, but wonder if it`s truly worth it.

And please comment on the procedure I have listed above...Let me know anything that you would change.

03COBRA
03-09-2005, 01:04 AM
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan going there. Personally, I would remove the Souveran by hand with an MF towel, but that`s just me.

As far as getting a PC, I think for a lot of us it is/was the best investment in our detailing travels. I give the PC a lot of credit for where I`ve come from, and where I`m going!

As far as the Makita orbital, couldn`t really tell you much there. But if you already have it, I don`t know of the advantages over the PC!

Stratous
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
The Makita does a great job, but it`s so heavy that I have to stop about every hour to rest my arms...And it goes through pads like a mad horse (but maybe thats me).

BTW: I will be doing the Souveran by hand. Then fallowing the hand wax with a dry bonnet, to be sure I elliminate all the left over wax.

03COBRA
03-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Well I think you may want to get the PC then. You can do curls with it all day long and not have anything to worry about. I didn`t know the Makita orbital was so heavy, if that`s the case get the PC. It`s very light, relative to what I don`t know. But I wouldn`t think of it as being heavy at all, very light IMO!

Stratous
03-09-2005, 01:45 AM
I think I will use the Makita with the Advanced Swirl Remover to get the deep stuff. Then the rest with the PC. I just filled my shopping cart at Autogeek.net with $350 worth of stuff, including the PC 7424. I am going to make sure I am not missing any coupons before I order.

EnduroExpertFSR
03-09-2005, 03:48 AM
i dont guess nows the time to tell you but u can get the PC at lowes for $99.00 USD

def use the rotary for the heavy stuff then follow and clean up with the PC becuase the rotary may still leave some marring from the rotary itself the PC will fix that up

Alfisti
03-09-2005, 04:45 AM
The Makita Stratous has is a RO machine.

Which pads did you get from Autogeek?

Stratous
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Havn`t ordered it yet, but you get:

-PC 7424

-5" Velcro Backing Plate

-1 orange light cutting

-2 white foam polishing

-1 black finishing foam

-2 microfiber towels

Then I am ordering the Pinnacle scratch kit, and the Wax kit, and terry cloth bonnets, and microfiber bonnets.