PDA

View Full Version : Boars hair brush gentle enough??

RCK
03-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I have an H2 and it`s a PITA to wash. I was looking at the Griots Boars hair brush that allows water to pass. I think this will be much faster but want to be sure it won`t be a recipe for swirl marks.

Thanks,

J.

togwt
03-08-2005, 10:46 PM
My (5`-1")GF uses one to wash her Lexus SUV, works well and does not scratch surface

Boarâ€â„¢s Hair Brush & Flow Through Handle:

A boarâ€â„¢s hair brush with the benefit of non-surface marring and a constant stream of water flowing through it,

First pass-after connecting the on / off valve on the 40-inch handle to a water hose, gently pass the brush over the paint surface to rinse the vehicle. Turn off the water at the on/off valve and dip the boarâ€â„¢s hair brush into the bucket of car wash concentrate, lightly agitate and then rinse off the soap residue. This tool is a great help with larger vehicles (SUV, Hummer, Motor Homes, etc) the brush measures 10-inches long by 21/2-inches wide; the on/off valve fits a STD garden hose fitting.

FWIW- I use the BHB hand held for all my vehicle washing

JonM

Accumulator
03-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I`ve had three (!) of those :o

The first one was very soft, didn`t mar the finish of the C5 I had at the time. But the "slip joint" started to *really* leak so I sent it back for a replacement.

The second one (replacement) would lightly mar the paint of our Audis, which is some awfully hard clear. Eventually *it* started to leak too :rolleyes: I sent it back for another replacement. Heh heh, at this point Griot`s was probably getting fed up with me!

The third one doesn`t leak (yet ;) ) but I`m afraid to use it on my paint for fear of marring (everything`s currently too nice to experiment with :D ). I use it on undercarriages when I use it at all.

FWIW, I find these *much* more awkward to use than I expected them to be. Can`t say how you`ll like it, but hey, you can always return it to Griot`s and only be out shipping/etc. charges. I had high hopes for this item, only to see them dashed after I sent back the first one :(

I`d sure check the one they send you to make sure it won`t mar your paint. I`m 50:50 with the ones I`ve tested (makes it 1:2 with TOGWT`s input) so I don`t know what you should expect. If you get a good one it could be just *perfect* for your application.

Tips:

I`d often put the hose over my shoulder when using this, seemed to make for a better alignment of all the involved parts.

Be sure to fit it (and your hose) with a quick disconnect.

I`d use a fairly thick teflon pipe thread tape between the tube and the brush head, they tend to unscrew at the least convenient times ;)

Be prepared to wrap the "slip joint" (you`ll see what I mean by this when you get it) with leak-stop tape to keep from getting soaked.

opass
03-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I`ve had three (!) of those :o

The first one was very soft, didn`t mar the finish of the C5 I had at the time. But the "slip joint" started to *really* leak so I sent it back for a replacement.

The second one (replacement) would lightly mar the paint of our Audis, which is some awfully hard clear. Eventually *it* started to leak too :rolleyes: I sent it back for another replacement. Heh heh, at this point Griot`s was probably getting fed up with me!

The third one doesn`t leak (yet ;) ) but I`m afraid to use it on my paint for fear of marring (everything`s currently too nice to experiment with :D ). I use it on undercarriages when I use it at all.

FWIW, I find these *much* more awkward to use than I expected them to be. Can`t say how you`ll like it, but hey, you can always return it to Griot`s and only be out shipping/etc. charges. I had high hopes for this item, only to see them dashed after I sent back the first one :(

I`d sure check the one they send you to make sure it won`t mar your paint. I`m 50:50 with the ones I`ve tested (makes it 1:2 with TOGWT`s input) so I don`t know what you should expect. If you get a good one it could be just *perfect* for your application.

Tips:

I`d often put the hose over my shoulder when using this, seemed to make for a better alignment of all the involved parts.

Be sure to fit it (and your hose) with a quick disconnect.

I`d use a fairly thick teflon pipe thread tape between the tube and the brush head, they tend to unscrew at the least convenient times ;)

Be prepared to wrap the "slip joint" (you`ll see what I mean by this when you get it) with leak-stop tape to keep from getting soaked.

I had hand held type BHB from Griots and thinking to upgrade to the long handle. Does it really make improvement to reduce the chance of marring?

Want the best washing applicator. Have mf wash mitt, cotton wash mitt and sheep skin mitt.

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by opass

I had hand held type BHB from Griots and thinking to upgrade to the long handle. Does it really make improvement to reduce the chance of marring?

Want the best washing applicator. Have mf wash mitt, cotton wash mitt and sheep skin mitt.

IMO if you want the *best* (and already have all those mitts and a "regular BHB") I`d get a foamgun instead of the flow-through.

Experiences seem to vary with the flow-through, as noted above. While it might work well for something like a H2, IMHO *nothing* works better than a foamgun when used with the various cleaning tools already at your disposal.

Blasting the sudsy soap ("foam") through the BHB that you already have will work well for the worst dirt. Using the foamgun with your mitts will work for the rest.

I`d sure spend the money on a foamgun before spending it on the flow-through. Heh heh, I *never* wash without the foamgun but my flow-through gets used maybe once a month (for an undercarriage I don`t want to do "properly").

opass
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM

IMO if you want the *best* (and already have all those mitts and a "regular BHB") I`d get a foamgun instead of the flow-through.

Experiences seem to vary with the flow-through, as noted above. While it might work well for something like a H2, IMHO *nothing* works better than a foamgun when used with the various cleaning tools already at your disposal.

Blasting the sudsy soap ("foam") through the BHB that you already have will work well for the worst dirt. Using the foamgun with your mitts will work for the rest.

I`d sure spend the money on a foamgun before spending it on the flow-through. Heh heh, I *never* wash without the foamgun but my flow-through gets used maybe once a month (for an undercarriage I don`t want to do "properly").

I fully respect your opinions about BHB. Seems like you are one of few BHB users with long time experinment.

Forgot to mention that I also owned the $70 foamgun that you guys have.

Here are my questions: Cotton and sheepskin wash mittsthat I used were not that durable. They fell apart pretty soon. I just start using the Sonux mf wash mitt, but concerned about trap dirts may not be released away from the fiber.

Am i worry too much? :nixweiss

the other pc
03-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I have a TOL non-flowthrough BHB on a pole (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairtruc.html). I love it.

Never seen any evidence of marring.

PC.

opass
03-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

I have a TOL non-flowthrough BHB on a pole (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairtruc.html). I love it.

Never seen any evidence of marring.

PC.

That`s good to know the Non-flow type did not create any marring. However, the Griots flow through type may be better design to lower the risk of marring.

Did you have a chance to do comparsion between yours and Griots? Which one is softer?

imported_SHICKS
03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
I used to have a blue brush on a stick and it was extremly soft. It used to be my Dad`s, I think he got it at a marine supply store for washing his boat. This was perfect. No marring and held quite a bit of soapy water when washing. I would love to start using a brush again for washing, but have not found one I like at reasonable price.

Any suggestions, other than a $65 BHB?

Thanks,

Steve

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 01:16 PM

..Forgot to mention that I also owned the $70 foamgun ..Cotton and sheepskin wash mittsthat I used were not that durable. They fell apart pretty soon. I just start using the Sonux mf wash mitt, but concerned about trap dirts may not be released away from the fiber.

Am i worry too much?

If anything, IMO you`re just worrying about replacing the mitts more than I would. I consider them expendable, renewable resources, unlike paint (when paint`s gone, from polishing or marring, it`s gone).

Yeah, the cotton mitts do wear out sorta fast. Oddly enough, my sheepskin ones are holding up very well with virtually no proper car. Perhaps the Griot`s shampoo is gentle on them :nixweiss

I too worry about grit getting stuck to the MF mitts, which is why I only use them after I`ve used something else (BHB, cotton/wool mitt) first. I figure the pre-wash will get any significant debris off the panel and the MF will "trap" anything else (safely enough) as long as I use plenty of slick "foam".

the other pc
03-30-2005, 02:19 PM

... the Griots flow through type may be better design to lower the risk of marring.

Did you have a chance to do comparsion between yours and Griots? Which one is softer? My own theory, although I have no hard data to support it, is that a BHB and wash bucket should be safer than a flow-through BHB with plain water. The Shampoo is always needed for lubrication. If you feed the flow-through BHB with a water/soap mix then that should be fine.

I haven`t seen a Griot`s brush in person so I can`t comment on it.

Originally posted by SHICKS

... I would love to start using a brush again for washing, but have not found one I like at reasonable price.

Any suggestions, other than a $65 BHB?... Meguiar`s Versa-Angle Wide Body Brush (http://meguiars.com/newproducts05/accessoryproduct_page.cfm?SKU=X-1040) has gotten some good reviews. It`s much less expensive than a BHB. I haven`t seen it myself, just came out and isn`t in many stores yet.

PC.

Accumulator
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

My own theory, although I have no hard data to support it, is that a BHB and wash bucket should be safer than a flow-through BHB with plain water. The Shampoo is always needed for lubrication. If you feed the flow-through BHB with a water/soap mix then that should be fine....

I agree, water alone doesn`t provide much in the way of lubrication, encapsulation, *or* cleaning.

I tried running a shampoo mix through the flow-through but it was problematic at best and I quickly gave up on it. If anybody wants to try it, there are siphon feeds available in the garden dept. of most big-box stores.

[Edited for grammar :o ]

opass
03-30-2005, 04:20 PM

I agree, water alone doesn`t provide much in the way of either lubrication, encapsulation, *or* cleaning.

I tried running a shampoo mix through the flow-through but it was problematic at best and I quickly gave up on it. If anybody wants to try it, there are siphon feeds available in the garden dept. of most big-box stores.

Thanks for correction.