PDA

View Full Version : Wax car with PC?

gto400no1
03-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Is it a good idea to wax a car with the pc and a finishing pad or should it be hand applyed? i would think that using the pc would allow for a more even covering of wax.

Jngrbrdman
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I would suggest waxing by hand if you are using a paste wax, but I always use a PC when applying liquid waxes. It speeds up the process. There isn`t any other benefit to using a machine except that it is faster.

To use a PC with a paste wax you would have to remove the wax from the jar and then apply it directly to the pad. That, in my mind, would take longer than just doing it by hand. However, it does work if you operate the PC on a very low speed. Don`t go laying it out with a 5 or 6 or anything. lol

Accumulator
03-08-2005, 06:35 PM
I`ll provide the flip side; I like to apply paste waxes by PC/Cyclo. Seems to work especially well with Meg`s #16, really does the "turn it liquid" thing well (especially with the Cyclo). I *think* I get a better finish by PC than by hand, but it could just be that I`m not as thorough as the machine (all those orbits per minute, with the PC I use 4-4.5) and it might even be a case of seeing what I want to see ;) I also like to remove it by machine, using MF bonets.

Biggest difference is probably the ergonomics of it. I`d rather move the machine around than do the application/removal-by-hand motions. Just a personal preference.

I first tried it by machine when I had a shoulder injury; I couldn`t do it by hand but *could* do it by machine because of the different motion. Decided I liked it and stuck with it.

IMO it does take *longer* by machine. By the time you just get it out and put the pad on, you could`ve done much of a normal-size car by hand.

Note that even *I* apply Souveran by hand :D

JeffM
03-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I do AIO by PC, but i dont like to clean wax out of my PC`s pads, so i do the rest by hand, although i think it would be easier but take longer with the pc.

nailzer
03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

There isn`t any other benefit to using a machine except that it is faster.

I like waxing with a PC because

1. It puts down a more consistent, thin film of wax if you use 4*UPP, or other liquid wax.

2. Using a MF bonnet with a PC to remove the wax is much easier then rubbing by hand.

gav'spurplez
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
i use the CMA gray pad on setting 3 1/2 to 4 with WG and NXT

works great. you will always need to get hard to reach areas by hand, so why not be "fast and efficient" withthe PC on the larger surfaces :xyxthumbs

lbls1
03-08-2005, 11:47 PM
It depends on the wax. Many waxes you can, but some exotics will not allow an application via pc/rotary.