PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique Leather Dye

pingable
03-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Has Anyone used the Leatherique Leather Dye.

I`m thinking about using it on the bolster area of my 2 year old leather. Just some minor wear. I won`t be applying it like the pros with a air compressor setup - just good ole fashion brush or cotten cloth.

I don`t know by NOT using a air compressor, will the results look blotchy since I won`t be able to blend it into the surrounding areas.

The toughest part IMO is that while I have beige seats, the stitching is chocolate brown so I just need to be careful on that area.

togwt
03-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I don`t use an air compressor to apply leather dye, just a brush and lots of patience.

Upholstery Leather Restoration:

a) Surface Preparation:

Leatherique Prepping Agent will remove silicone, wax, dirt, oil, mould, toxins, perspiration and residue from the surfaces to enable proper adherence of the applied product (repairing cuts, cracks or leather surface restoration dye) non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable, the formulation safely cleans and prepares all leather surfaces. Ensure a dirt and dust free environment, with adequate ventilation, preferably indoors.

Methodology

ÂÂClean leather surfaces with a 6:1 solution of Water / WooliteÂÂ

ÂÂScrub surface with synthetic steel wool #0 and a medium drying lacquer thinner (Recochem`s Lacquer Thinner (Recochem Inc) this is a flammable product but with an active ingredient of toluene which is slightly less flammable then other lacquer thinners, ensure the use of adequate ventilation

ÂÂWet-sand surfaces with 240 and 400-grit abrasive papers and a 5:1 lubricant solution (distilled water/WooliteÂÂ) to remove existing dye.

ÂÂUse a soft horse hair brush (Groit`s Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any abrasive dust

ÂÂWipe all surfaces with a clean, damp100% cotton Microfiber towel

ÂÂPut prepping agent into a fine-mist spray bottle or flask

ÂÂLiberally spray a 100% cotton terry towel

ÂÂApply to surfaces with a gentle scrubbing motion to remove any silicone, oils or other contaminants

ÂÂRinse the towel frequently with clean warm water

ÂÂWhen complete wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry 100% cotton Microfiber towel

Surfaces are now ready for leather restoration repairs or the application of a leather dye

(Brush) Application Methodology:

ÂÂClean and prepare the leather surfaces as in 10a above:

ÂÂPour the dye into a suitable container so it can be stirred and mixed properly with a wide paint stirrer. Some pigments are heavier than others and settle (thin dye if necessary to prevent heavy build-up of colour, stir in a small quantity of water to reach workable consistency)

ÂÂStart with a small, inconspicuous area to get a feel for the product. It is normal that the colour may appear more vibrant than the faded hue you have become accustomed to.

ÂÂBegin with the seams, piping and edges and allow them to dry (usually by the time you are finished, they will be dry)

ÂÂApply several very thin coats, brushing in all directions rather than back and forth.

ÂÂDo not stop in the middle of a panel, consistency will be rewarded with an as good as if not better than new finish.

ÂÂAllow each piece to dry thoroughly. Apply second coat as necessary (if you are re-dying to change the colour of your leather, further coats will be necessary)

ÂÂClean brushes and all equipment immediately with soap and hot water.

ÂÂAllow project to remain untouched for 48 hours, as dye will be fragile.

ÂÂUse a very soft, lint free cloth, you may buff the Leather Surface to a natural lustre and remove excess pigment.

ÂÂIf you have any brush strokes or imperfections, they can be buffed out with fine 600 grit dry sandpaper and a sanding block

JonM

pingable
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Have you used the Klear Kote.

I just placed an order for this last week.

I was advised it does give a slight sheen to the leather but it will not make it slippery...as I do tend to take the curves hard at times.

togwt
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I`ve used it on uncoated (JAG) leather, worked out real well, but check its compatability with coated leather

Leather Glaze:

Maintain and protect new upholstery leather with the application of a leather glaze (Leatherique Ãâ‚Å“OriginalÃâ‚Â Klear Kote, or Swissol Leather Glaze) so that the signs of wear can be drastically reduced. Provides extra UVR protection against fading for convertibles, newly dyed leather and the dashboard, for use on leather, vinyl, MB-TEX and hard plastic trim.

Use where the leather receives the most noticeable wear, like the driverÃâ‚â„s seat and other high wear areas, like the steering wheel, arm rests, driverÃâ‚â„s bolsters and door panels. And for the driverÃâ‚â„s seat where the leather receives the most noticeable wear and should be protected.

JonM