PDA

View Full Version : How best to use AIO

Pages : [1] 2

imported_The Uncle
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
For several weeks, I`ve been confused about the proper use of AIO. In one of his posts, DavidB commented that AIO has more protection than most users realize. Unless I misunderstood what he was saying, he went on to suggest that most users do not benifit from the protective capabilities of AIO because they do not leave it on their vehicles long enough.

So, that leads me to my next question: What is the best way to apply AIO? Is it not an WOWO product?

ZaneO
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
From my understanding, the most effective way to optimize the durability of AIO, it needs some time on the paint to setup.

05Sleeper
03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
How long? Does it matter how it is applied? By hand or PC?

imported_Burlyq
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Doesn`t matter how you apply unless you need extensive cleaning and then I`d use PC, but you can go by hand. I use WOWO and it leaves good protection, but I usually put a sealant on top.

togwt
03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Klasse AIO is primarily a polish, then a chemical cleaner. Wipe On, Wipe Off (WOWO) is not the normal application technique for applying a polish.

â€Â¢To test for results, wipe off product with a clean / dry Microfiber cloth. If the surface is still dull continue polishing, ensure that the product is worked in to obtain the best results.

â€Â¢Its primary catalyst is an aerobic process so for the acrylic to dry low air temperatures and/or humidity may effect the time requirement.

â€Â¢After sufficient drying time do a quick swipe test with your finger. If no smearing or drag is evident, the product is ready to be removed,

â€Â¢Remove AIO as soon as it starts to â€Ëœhazeâ€â„¢ (set-up) this makes residues easier to remove than to allow the product to completely dry ((this is a polish and there is no advantage in letting it dry completely)

and unlike wax, there is no benefit in doing so.

â€Â¢Residues should be slightly damp (not a dry powder) when you buff them. If the residues are still wet, you are using too much water on the applicator or too much product

JonM

05Sleeper
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
AH yes, so much to learn....

I want to uses my PC, but i am affraid of doing som on my first detail. maybe I will skip the FP on the first run...

imported_The Uncle
03-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

From my understanding, the most effective way to optimize the durability of AIO, it needs some time on the paint to setup.

I think that is what Davidb was saying. So, if I wanted to use AIO as a true "all-in-one" product (i.e., not apply any other product afterwards), how much time would it need to "setup."

Alfisti
03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Jon. I always look forward to your posts. :bigups

imported_The Uncle
03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Klasse AIO is primarily a polish, then a chemical cleaner. Wipe On, Wipe Off (WOWO) is not the normal application technique for applying a polish.

â€Â¢To test for results, wipe off product with a clean / dry Microfiber cloth. If the surface is still dull continue polishing, ensure that the product is worked in to obtain the best results.

â€Â¢Its primary catalyst is an aerobic process so for the acrylic to dry low air temperatures and/or humidity may effect the time requirement.

â€Â¢After sufficient drying time do a quick swipe test with your finger. If no smearing or drag is evident, the product is ready to be removed,

â€Â¢Remove AIO as soon as it starts to â€Ëœhazeâ€â„¢ (set-up) this makes residues easier to remove than to allow the product to completely dry ((this is a polish and there is no advantage in letting it dry completely)

and unlike wax, there is no benefit in doing so.

â€Â¢Residues should be slightly damp (not a dry powder) when you buff them. If the residues are still wet, you are using too much water on the applicator or too much product

JonM

Thanks, Jon. This answers my question completely.

foxtrapper
03-08-2005, 08:44 AM
AIO is an all in one product, oddly enough. This means, among other things, it`s a surface protectant. It`s advertised as such, and works as one.

There is the belief among many that for a polymer type sealant to adhere to the paint it must be left in place for x length of time. 24 hours is the most commonly claimed time, but I`ve seen some insist on a week. Then, and only then, are you supposed to take a towel to it, wipe off any residue (there shouldn`t be any btw), and apply a subsequent layer.

SK2003TypeS
03-08-2005, 09:56 AM
I do a car in sections (Usually break it up into 3 parts: front, middle, rear)

I`ll apply AIO on the 1st half of the hood, then the other half and then move on to the two front qtr panels. By the time I`m done applying it to the qtr panels, AIO is usually ready to be taken off the 1st half of the hood. Maybe 5 minutes or so ?:nixweiss ...I don`t know, never timed it. But if it passes the swipe test, I can buff it without any issues.

On it`s own, AIO will give a decent amount of protection. We talked about this not to long ago.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51137&highlight=aio

imported_The Uncle
03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
The thread you are talking about was interesting, but still left me confused about the protection issue and how best to apply AIO.

SK2003TypeS
03-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree with ZaneO`s understanding. It needs a little time to "setup". In my case, when I apply it to the hood and then qtrs, and then come back to the hood to buff it out, it has had time to "setup". I also do a few passes to "work it" in and let it do it`s job (get rid of water spots, oxidation, etc.)

I apply AIO with a PC and a white LC polishing pad. Everyone will have their own "best" way to apply AIO. For me, the PC does wonders. IMO it`s not a WOWO product.

Hope this helps

SilverLexus
03-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I apply AIO with the PC on "3" then "5.5" using a Lake Country finishing pad (blue or black). Works very well. I wipe off with one of ExcelDetail`s wax removal MFs (orange) after a slight haze.

It seems to produce great results for me.

Mochamanz1
03-09-2005, 12:52 AM
I like to go for optimum effect, so I used

1. IP

2.FP

3.AIO

4.Whatever else I decide to experiment with :)