PDA

View Full Version : Question about buffing

jac0b
03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I am a newbie to the buffing thing. I have a couple small scratches on a passenger door that I want to buff out, the question is when I do buff the car can I just buff the door it self or do I have to buff the entire car.

Thanks,

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
jac0b- Welcome to Autopia!

You can generally do "spot repairs" without having to do the whole car. Sometimes the polished area looks *so* much better than the rest of it that you *will* want to do more, but not always.

Do a little research on how to remove the marring so things go smoothly.

togwt
03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
:welcome to Autopia jac0b

This may help you to get started on your buffing project. There is a lot of good information on Autopia especially the e-detailing book e-Detailing DavidB (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=Books.htm&s=&menu=4)

Machine Polish (Compound) Application:

Depending on the types of surface abrasions you`re dealing with, increase speed and pressure as necessary. Just remember that more speed plus more pressure equals more aggressive, so be careful around ridges and raised surfaces

Maintain the same pressure and work the product in, it may take three or four passes to complete before the residue can be removed. Once you see the desired results move on to the next area, or repeat the process as necessary.

Methodology

·Evenly apply the product to the foam pad (not the paint surface) and then move the pad on the paint film surface to further distribute product.

·Evenly apply the product to the foam pad (not the paint surface) and then move the pad on the paint film surface to further distribute product.

·Use polishing foam (or cutting foam, but only if surface requires it) at speed# 5 or 6.

·Without lifting the machine from the paint film surface, adjust the speed wheel and turn the machine on.

·Draw an imaginary square two-foot by two foot (less on smaller panels)

·Start on the upper left hand side of the imaginary square

·Applying the product to the right, when you`ve reached the outer edge of the imaginary square, drop down and precede right to left, drop down and precede left to right, etc

·Work the polish until â€Ëœalmostâ€â„¢ dry or when it changes to a thin, clear liquid (its unnecessary to use until it becomes a powder or is completely dissipated)

·As with all car care products use very little product and keep foam pad well -lubricated (distilled water spray) Remember - when in doubt, use less.

·Apply Machine Polish at the rate of approximately 0.5 to 1.0-inch per second.

·When the `cross-hatched square` is completed then move to another area and proceed, overlapping the preceding square to ensure complete coverage.

·3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Rubbing Compound (05933) CAS-6/10 should remove most of the surface imperfections

·Follow with 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Machine Glaze (05937) CAS-4/10 once you are satisfied with the finish (or its as good as you think you can get it) this will remove any surface marring left by the (05933) polish.

·Turn off the machine while it`s still in contact with the paint film surface, if you worked in the product there should be little or no residue.

·Remove any remaining residue with 100% cotton Alpine DF Micro fibre towel and water

·Use an appropriate machine polish, 3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III has only been cited as an example.

CAS- comparative abrasion scale.

You should adopt a similar methodology with any areas that cannot be accessed by a 6.5-inch pad by using a 3-inch pad and 4-inch backing plate or by applying the product by hand with 100% cotton Alpine DF Microfiber towel

Application Stages:

1.Keep repeating these passes using progressive pressure (initial speed #3-5) You want to keep working the product into the panel until it `hazes` to an almost dry state.

2.Depending on the types of surface abrasions you`re dealing with, increase speed and pressure as necessary. Just remember that more speed plus more pressure equals more aggressive cutting, so be careful around ridges and raised surfaces.

3.Maintain the same pressure while working the product, it may take three or four passes to complete before the residue can be removed. Residue when itâ€â„¢s gone a little translucent (looks a bit like Vaseline) but it isn`t dry yet; that`s when you want to remove it, once you see the desired results move on to the next area, or repeat the process as necessary.

JonM