PDA

View Full Version : What is the cause of streaks ?

Mochamanz1
03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
What causes a product to streak ? Is it the over abundance of polymer material, bad bonding, or just plain not curing. I had my first example of this using EXP this weekend. I am at a loss as to why it happened.

togwt
03-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Streaking:

(as in wax/sealants not what they do at Rugby games)

Ensure that you are not using too much wax; a thin layer of product is all that`s required. Be sure also that your applicator is clean and has not become saturated with product. Warm-up the paint film surface in the sun, but do not allow it to become hot (90°F<)

Wax is inherently hydroscopic, allowing the paint film surface to warm-up and then wipe off with 100% cotton, Alpine DF towel should elevate this natural reaction to water moisture or oil.

JonM

Alfisti
03-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Wax is inherently hydroscopic, allowing the paint film surface to warm-up and then wipe off with 100% cotton, Alpine DF towel should elevate this natural reaction to water moisture or oil.

JonM

I`m feeling a bit dumb today. Not sure what you mean by that. :nixweiss

wannafbody
03-07-2005, 11:12 PM
could it be oil content and the wax not being shaken enough?

SK2003TypeS
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

I`m feeling a bit dumb today. Not sure what you mean by that. :nixweiss

I think he`s saying that cold paint may be causing the streaking.

I get streaking if my paint and climate is too cold.

SK2003TypeS
03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by wannafbody

could it be oil content and the wax not being shaken enough?

I`ve had that with Zaino. I guess that`s why they say to shake vigorously for a couple of minutes, let it sit and then give it a final shake before application.

togwt
03-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Quote:Wax is inherently hydroscopic, allowing the paint film surface to warm-up and then wipe off with 100% cotton, Alpine DF towel should elevate this natural reaction to water moisture or oil.

Should be-allow the paint film surface to warm-up... (apologies)

You are correct, its always advisable to shake any product to ensure proper mixing of its contents

JonM

Glossequation
03-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Humidity

Alfisti
03-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Thanks. :bigups