PDA

View Full Version : removing grease from paint

III
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Sometimes after I wash my vehicles I`ll notice grease that has kicked up from day to day driving in certain areas usually on the lower rocker panels. What I usually do is take a wet microfiber with my gold class shampoo and wash the area until the grease is gone. My question is this: Do you think it`s better to use this approach with the microfiber being wet with soap, or would it be better if the microfiber was used dry to remove the grease? I thought leaving it wet with soap would provide extra lubrication so the surface wouldn`t get marred. Any thoughts?

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
The lubrication *is* a good idea. If you`re not gonna do a full wash, anything you can do to keep things wet and lubricated while cleaning will go a long way towards preventing marring.

I`d first spray the area with a QD so that *all* the contact happens with a lubricated surface. Try to clean with minimum pressure/contact. Consider using clay if the [stuff] is really stubborn rather than scrubbing more/harder. "Rinse" the area in question with more QD when you`re finished and dry by blotting as opposed to wiping.

EBPcivicsi
03-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I would rather use a slovent like 3M tar and wax remover. That way I could soak the MF and gently blot the stain avoiding the need to vigorously rub. I guess then you would have to rewax/seal, but IMO it is worth it.

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
ebpcivicsi - I think III`s talking about a "spot-cleaning", sorta a "super-QD" approach in between regular/major jobs. Not the sort of job where he`s gonna redo his LSP or anything like that. I could be wrong though...

EBPcivicsi
03-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

ebpcivicsi - I think III`s talking about a "spot-cleaning", sorta a "super-QD" approach in between regular/major jobs. Not the sort of job where he`s gonna redo his LSP or anything like that. I could be wrong though...

Yeah, I would still rather use the solvent for *my* paint. I can`t tell you how bad rubbing vigorously with a wet, soap filled MF against grease would mar my paint. Though I am sure *you* can imagine. ;) I would just rather do a spot touch up with my LSP as opposed to a spot polish + my LSP later. Does that make sense at all?

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
ebpcivicsi - Heh heh, yeah, given my usual washing techniques I *do* understand why you`d rather let the solvent do the work with a lot less rubbing. FWIW I never touch the paint unless I`m doing one of my full washes (except for the occasional bird-bomb/etc.).

Funny, I suppose, how I always use clay instead of solvents. It does seem to contradict my "no scrubbing" dictum, huh? I will say I`ve never run into any trouble by doing it this way, but then I always have a *lot* of LSP on there and I probably don`t clay the way most people do. To be honest, I just don`t like doing stuff that compromises my LSP, especially when I`ve worked to build up layers and/or to otherwise get things just the way I want them.

I think we`ll agree that if III is gonna do the "super QD" thing he`s a lot better off using a *wet* MF than a dry one. Wet always beats dry when it comes to marring.

III
03-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

I would rather use a slovent like 3M tar and wax remover. That way I could soak the MF and gently blot the stain avoiding the need to vigorously rub. I guess then you would have to rewax/seal, but IMO it is worth it.

I have used turtle wax bug and tar remover in the past which has also worked, however I usually do the microfiber thing when it comes to grease. If I have tar spots I use the turtle wax product forsure.

Yeah, I guess you could call my approach spot cleaning. AFTER the vehicle is washed and rinsed I go over the vehicle and look for grease spots. I can`t always see these spots before hand as the vehicle is dirty and hides the grease.

EBPcivicsi
03-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

ebpcivicsi - Heh heh, yeah, given my usual washing techniques I *do* understand why you`d rather let the solvent do the work with a lot less rubbing. FWIW I never touch the paint unless I`m doing one of my full washes (except for the occasional bird-bomb/etc.).

Funny, I suppose, how I always use clay instead of solvents. It does seem to contradict my "no scrubbing" dictum, huh? I will say I`ve never run into any trouble by doing it this way, but then I always have a *lot* of LSP on there and I probably don`t clay the way most people do. To be honest, I just don`t like doing stuff that compromises my LSP, especially when I`ve worked to build up layers and/or to otherwise get things just the way I want them.

I think we`ll agree that if III is gonna do the "super QD" thing he`s a lot better off using a *wet* MF than a dry one. Wet always beats dry when it comes to marring.

Absolutely!!

I doubt my paint is prepped to the level of yours so compromising my LSP is not as big of a deal.

IMO, your wash techniques are unbelievable and certainly provide excellent results.

FWIW, once my SO thought I was crazy for detailing too much, I simply printed a version of your extreme wash technique post for her to read. She smiled and said "now that IS crazy." I know for a true autopian such as yourself that is a compliment. :D

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ebpcivicsi

... printed a version of your extreme wash technique post for her to read. She smiled and said "now that IS crazy." I know for a true autopian such as yourself that is a compliment. :D

Well, on the S8 and the Jag it`s a compliment, on the minivan it`s a diagnosis :D