PDA

View Full Version : Rotor damage due to wheel cleaners?

David703
03-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I cleaned my friends wheels on his SVT Focus with a wheel cleaner, don`t remember which brand. Spray and rinse. Very strong stuff i bought at KMart. My friend had problems with his brakes and took his car in for service. The Ford dealer told him it was due to the acid in the wheel cleaner. Can this happen? If so, what do you do to not damage brakes??

SSQ
03-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Well, I think most of them have a high pH level: base, instead of acid. They shoudn`t damage the rotors, but they can get a soapy feeling on the rotors and I think it may effect the rotors if you don`t get them off well enough.

I haven`t used wheel cleaners because I am afraid they might not be too good. I usually use Wheel Wax, or I`ll just use a brush and car wash soap.

Black240SX
03-07-2005, 12:24 AM
It`s best to avoid the wheel cleaners that have strong acids.

jfox03cobra
03-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Knowing ford, it was probably a manufacturing error but they just tell you anything to keep from paying for it. They`ll void your warranty if they see you drive up with your windows down.

togwt
03-07-2005, 01:25 AM
A wheel cleaner with a low pH (acidic) can damage the wheel surface (the same goes for a high pH (strong alkaline) or a jet of cold water on a hot rotor can cause it to warp.

An acidic wheel cleaner causing a rotor to warp...Unlikely

Cleaning Clear Coated Wheels:

â€Â¢Ensure wheels and rotors are cool before applying cold water as this may cause them to warp. Hose off as much initial grime as you can. Rinse up into the wheel well to wash away road kill, mud and other debris.

â€Â¢Use detailing clay to remove any imbedded contaminants

â€Â¢Use a solvent based cleaner to remove any road tar

â€Â¢Apply a solution of P21S Total Auto Wash to wheel-wells and tyres, and let soak in, agitate with a long-handled boars haired brush before rinsing

â€Â¢Spray P21S Wheel Cleaner, this cleaner is 100% acid-free and will not damage any type of wheel finish. (Gel for badly soiled and regular for normal soil) onto wheel rims and lat soak in.

â€Â¢Before finally removing cleaner, agitate with a soft brush and then rinse off

â€Â¢Rinse wheel surface thoroughly with clean water (to avoid splashing paint surface rise by pouring a bucket of water over each wheel from the top down

â€Â¢Remove any surface imperfections with a suitable clear coat polish (dependant upon extent of damage)

â€Â¢Dry wheels with a towel, apply a sealant to the surface of the wheels themselves will protect the finish from brake dust and the elements and also making them easier to keep clean.

â€Â¢Wax has a low melting point and will not withstand the sustained temperatures

â€Â¢ Clean tyres with a rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner -39036) or a citrus-based APC (P21S Total Auto Wash)

â€Â¢Apply a polymer-based tyre dressing (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Glossâ„¢)

â€Â¢Thoroughly hose off tyres and wheel-wells, apply a (UVR) protection to the tyres.

Acidic wheel cleaners- should be avoided as these cleaners usually contain a solution of oxalic, phosphoric and hydrochloric acids and they may permanently stain or damage wheel surfaces. The use instructions usually state to spray on and rinse off immediately.

100% acid free wheel cleaners-these usually contain a mild solution of an alkaline (Ethylene Glycol) and a surfactant, the best known is P21S Wheel Cleaner, a 100% acid free cleaner with a 7.0 pH

JonM

benpocock
03-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Sonax R2000 is pH neutral as well as far as I`m aware.

Ben.

RedondoV6
03-07-2005, 04:10 AM
Very good wheel cleaning instructions from Jon, especially about working on cool rims! :xyxthumbs

Substitute in the name of your favorite PH neutral cleaner (or just car wash soap) and your favorite water based tire dressing as required. Save wheel cleaners like A2Z(high PH) and PB`s S&R (low PH) for occasional use, when normal cleaning methods fail.

As for Ford rotors ..... just LOOKING at my old Taurus rotors in a funny way would make them warp! I forget how many times I had them resurfaced/exchanged. Driving in my Taurus in rain I`d even drive around puddles after braking incase I warped the rotors... kinda sad!

l33
03-07-2005, 06:03 AM
I don`t think it has anything to do with them warping, but i`ve definitly heard for several techs that tire shine products will do damage to the rotors. One of the reasons i stopped using spray products on the wheels. I`m not sure of the exact reason but i think it has to do with corrosion.

stevet
03-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by jfox03cobra

Knowing ford, it was probably a manufacturing error but they just tell you anything to keep from paying for it. They`ll void your warranty if they see you drive up with your windows down. :rofl

David703
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
thanks everyone for the comments and directions!!:D

Setec Astronomy
03-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Any wheel cleaner should be thoroughly rinsed off the brake parts to avoid any unwanted reactions, but I doubt that a single application of acid wheel cleaner would result in "problems"...I would tend to agree with the above opinion about ducking a warranty claim. GM years ago used to reimburse the dealers for warranty work at a fixed rate, which was less than many prevailing dealer shop rates...disincentivizing the dealers from doing warranty repairs (i.e., telling you it wasn`t covered by warranty).

foxtrapper
03-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I personally would be interested in hearing more about this problem and what the dealer said they found. Otherwise, it`s just a very vague story.

wannafbody
03-08-2005, 12:03 PM
IMO the rust that forms on rotors from the car sitting for days at a time or longer is probably more damaging than the wheel cleaners-if they could damage rotors they`d eat the clear i`d think:nixweiss