PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: SPC for removing swirl marks

Mike075
03-06-2005, 11:22 PM
A few days ago I had window tints done on my Maxima by a Nissan dealer (big, big, big mistake). When I picked up my car from their shop, I was told that they also washed it. I didn`t pay much attention to that until yesterday, when I noticed light swirl marks all over the car that were most likely created by poor quality drying towels.

The paint is in good condition - car is 8 months old it has just a few light scratches beside the swirl marks. The swirl marks are visible only in direct sunlight (dark grey metallic paint with clear coat), but the point is that not only the installers did lousy job with the tints, but they also damaged my paintwork. I was thinking of taking the car back to the dealer and asking them to redo the tints and to take care of the swirl marks, but maybe I would be much better off if I do the second thing by myself - at least I`ll have some control over it.

Next weekend, I`m planning to try the Perfect Shine method for the first time (wash, dry, clay, use ScratchX on the scratches, then polish with Sonus Paintwork Cleanser and then use the Klasse twins with 3 layers of SG), but I have some questions in regards to the swirl marks:

1. Will the SPC remove swirl marks or should I get something stronger (Sonus SFX2 or something else)?

2. Is it possible to get quite good results with hand application of SPC or should I rather get the Porter Cable Dual Action polisher?

Mike

Mike075
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Anybody?

jetskie
03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
The paint cleanser probably won`t remove the swirls you have. It probably will look reduced from the filling of the swirls, but you will still see them in the bright lights. You can use Sctratch x as a polish by hand and it will remove the swirls, but it will take a lot of elbow grease. Your best bet is to use a mechanical cleaner like SFX2 or #80 and a PC. (Sctratch X gums up with a PC) You can do it by hand, but its a lot of work. Remember to start with the least agressive product first then move up to obtain your results.

Accumulator
03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Mike 075- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, yeah, you really do have to watch that shops don`t mess up your ride. I`d make them do the tint to your satisfaction and I`d hold off on polishing/etc. until they won`t be touching it any more lest they do something *else* to mess it up. Then when it`s in for servicing insist that they *not* wash it (or otherwise mess it up). Do the polishing yourself. With the right stuff it`s not all *that* tricky, just time consuming.

I`m not familiar with the SPC so I can`t say what it`ll do for the marring they inflicted. If I *had* to guess, I`d say that Jetskie got it right.

Almost everyone who gets a PC considers it money well spent. I heartily recommend that you get one (or maybe a Cyclo, do a search and compare what people say about both machines).

If your paint got as marred up as it sounds like it did, I`d get the PC (and some pads) and some polishes (one sorta aggressive and one mild) and just polish the whole car before doing the AIO/topper. Save the Scratch-X approach for isolated spot-repairs.

FWIW, I like 3M`s recently discontinued (but still commonly available) PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937). These are quite easy to use and give good results by hand or PC. They work very well before AIO. I don`t recall anybody ever posting that the *regretted* using these two products. Meguiar`s #80 is sorta a "one step" approach to the same thing and it works well by hand or PC also, but when using AIO I prefer the 3M stuff.

JasonD
03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
You got great info so far, so all I can do is add to it.

SPC won`t remove swirls and/or major marring. I have it, like it, but don`t use it often because I am usually dealing with paint that either needs more or less than I would use SPC for. SPC is very similar to AIO but with a tiny bit more *polishing* ability to it. It *works* just like a regular polish does as far as effort goes, so it`s not a quick job. It takes time to effectively use SPC, vs. AIO which gives you almost the same results in half the effort and time.

If you are wanting to stick with the Sonus line, I`d go with the SFX polishes like you mentioned. If you want to venture away from the Sonus line, I`d recommend exactly what Accumulator has already recommended. Either 3M RC and MG or Meg`s #83 and #80. Depending on how bad your swirls are, you may only need 3M MG or #80, but if they are bad you will need both products from either manufacturer.

Once your defects are polished out, then go for your AIO and SG like you want, but not until ALL of your defects are gone.

EDIT: I almost forgot, do yourself a huge favor and get a PC. You won`t regret it.

Mike075
03-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

After reading all the answers, my plan is to start with less abrasive product (SFX-3) and if it doesn`t work, then I`ll switch to SFX-2.

By the way, what`s the difference between SFX-3 and SPC? Are these similar in terms of abrasiveness and can I try it before going to SFX-3?

Mike