PDA

View Full Version : Terry Clothe Applicators; Won`t they scratch?

5DX
03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I have just finished applying my first "session" of the Klasse Twins (three coats of SG, etc), when I realized that the SG applicator is terry clothe (the one that comes with the kit).

Well, won`t that just scratch the newly "clayed" finish I just worked on? I actually did the "CD" test and they do scratch - some. Although, they don`t scratch as bad as the old car towels I was using until I was enlightened by this site! But, still ...

So, have I just wasted my time? :nixweiss

MongooseGA
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Well, the CD test can`t always be used to judge whether or not a towel will scratch your car. A CD will scracth pretty easily. If your car has a particularly hard clear coat, you should be fine there.

Plus, unless you were really scrubbing the SG onto the paint, I don`t think a clean terry applicator will do too much harm.

salty
03-07-2005, 01:25 AM
I still use terry cloth everday. I have done this since 1987. No real problems but i do have my dedicated towels.

As far as using terry for waxes and sealants i think that the chemical will have enough lubricant to not harm. Generally not much pressure is applied.

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 11:05 AM
5DX- Just depends on the paint, so I`d rather not take the chance myself. I apply with foam or MF and remove with MF.

Did you waste time? :nixweiss Look at it and see if you marred the finish.

medic159
03-07-2005, 11:07 AM
You shouldn`t have a problem as long as the terry is cotton and not some polyester or polyester blend.