PDA

View Full Version : Good locally available swirl-remover

GlossyTundra
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
I desperatly need a good swirl remover, that is available locally, at somewhere like PB or AA or Wal-mart. I have a black denali truck to detail tomorrow and its the first truck that has really bad swirls that I cant get out with my DC-2.

Thanks

travisdecpn
03-06-2005, 08:28 PM
If you are working by hand scratchx is probably your best bet.

GlossyTundra
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Naw, I have a PC with the DA pad kit from autopia.com

94BlkStang
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Brandon1

Naw, I have a PC with the DA pad kit from autopia.com

Many body shop supply places or auto parts stores carry Meguiars #9. It`s a good swirl remover and in most cases you can go straight to an LSP. If you want an in between step for a little more depth, then Meguiars Hand Polish or Meguiars #7 can help. #7 can be a little finicky to work with though. They should all be able to be found locally. You can go to Meguiars website and look up local stores that there products are available at.:D

Sorry for the mix up. I meant to say #9 swirl remover and have edited my post.:o

travisdecpn
03-06-2005, 08:40 PM
If you can find your local PBE store you should be able to pick up some #83 and #80. AA should have #9 which is okay, but you would be better off with #80 or #83. I don`t think you will achieve optimal results with #2 via PC being that it was designed to be used with a rotary. You can use this tool to find a dealer close to you, just type in your zip code and click on the professional products box. http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocator/DealerLocator_template.cfm

a.k.a. Patrick
03-06-2005, 08:55 PM
80- Bah-da-bing.

JeffM
03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
DC-2 isnt a swirl remover polish. It is a polishing oil type of polish, like #7.

You need more experience before you work on other peoples vehicles, especially on a 50k Danali.

But anyhoo, NAPA ask them to get you DACP and #80. Use a light cutting polish type of pad. Not the typical yellow balls to the walls cutting pad. You will mess up a black finish with DACP, and you may not be able to correct it.

wannafbody
03-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Mothers Power Polish is available at PepBoys-Megs #80 is also a good choice-stay away from Megs #2 fine cut-it was designed for rotary use

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by wannafbody

..Megs #80 is also a good choice-stay away from Megs #2 fine cut-it was designed for rotary use

Yeah, and I don`t even like #2 on b/c paint *with* a rotary. I used lots of #2 on ss paint back in the day, so it`s not like I just dislike the product. But NO WAY should somebody without a lot of experience use it on b/c. Using #3/#5/#7/#81/DC#2 after such a product will *hide* some of the #2`s micromarring but it won`t remove it (those are all nonabrasive "pure polishes").

#2 + PC + black Denali = Serious trouble ;)

It`s unfortunate that #2 and #9 are the two most common Meg`s polishes in many areas.

Stick with the #80 or Scratch-X or get some 3M or Pro stuff from the autopaint/body supply places.

jetskie
03-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Power polish from mothers is probably the easiest to get and I`m told that its about equal to #80. I never used it, but seen it a Pepboys for $10. DACP is more of a compound to remove deeper defects.

JasonD
03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
My vote is for Meg`s #83 and #80 or 3M RC and MG, can`t go wrong

salty
03-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Well it`s almost two weeks since the orig. post. I hope it went all right Brandon1. My vote will always go for the filler less products.

GlossyTundra
03-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Well my dads denali truck came out ok considering that I am still in the learining process. Got out most of the swirls with 3m smr and sealed with WET polish/wax. Looks alot better than before.