PDA

View Full Version : Help a Newbie detail please...

mystickid
03-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi guys,

I am totally new to detailing but I`d just have some basic questions,

1) I used Meguirs Gold Class Liquid wax on my black car after wash but there was absolutely no difference before and after, will the paint cleaner really make the difference?--I read that you got to do alot of steps like paint cleaner, then clay then wash, then wax or somethinglike that.

I don`t have the money for stuff like Zaino so can you please give me a how-to using common prodcuts in common stores like the new Meguiars NXT wax, a good common paint cleaner

2) What common big-name stores such as Target, Walmart, True-Value etc., sell a good pre- or paint cleaner such as AIO or Laisse?

3) Do I wash my car first and then put the paint Cleaner or Vice-versa?

I know there are many how-to`s on the site but I am just looking for some tips with common products.

Thank you so much for any of your efforts.

Best Regards.:)

Neo62381
03-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey mystickid welcome to the boards, whoa, at the questions:-). The best advice I could give to anyone is to read the free e-book on this site, print it out and and worship it, it has helped me soo much, and I`ve learned more from just it alone then I could ever have anywhere else. Black shows swirls and scratches more than any other color, I don`t really know what to tell you about the wax other than it may not have fillers in it....(anyone)?.......2. There arent any big-name stores that will carry the klasse twins as they are more centered for the enthusiast detailer, Wall-Mart, Target, places like that pretty much just sells wax and thats it, which I think is plain crazy because in order to get a car to look good, there are plenty of other steps between the wash/wax process. 3. Wash...Clay....Polish....Protect.....Wait.....Wax

mystickid
03-06-2005, 07:51 PM
I gues I`ll download the E-book and give it a try. Thanx anyway.

If anyone else can answer my questions that`ll be greatly appreciated too.

wannafbody
03-06-2005, 09:13 PM
for products available locally at PepBoys, Advance or Autozone try

Mothers Power Polish and Reflections wax

Meguiars step 2 polish and NXT or #26

salty
03-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Welcome mystickid! Read Read and read more. Your ride is black so you have your work cut out for you. The best thing would be to start with a PC.

imported_Burlyq
03-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Isn`t NXT about the same price as Zaino, I guess ZFX pushes it up? I think to get the best polishes and paint cleaners on-line is your best shot. I have seen some products out there but I get better deals on line. A paint cleaner like AIO will make your car pop. AIO and a wax like s100 that`s 15 bucks at any harley dealer will give you a outstanding shine. As for a cheapo clay, Autopia sells a clay package that includes two lubes which is a nice option, and eventhough ClayMagic is inexpensive many people think it`s the best clay including me. The cheapest option would be to use AIO as a stand alone product, it will clean and protect, and when you get extra cash try something like Zaino that can be used over AIO. Another option would be clay and #16 and that would be all you need for a great shine, and many people say #16 has good durabilty. 12 bucks each for #16 and clay, not bad.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/awc-88256.html

Process- wash- clay- paint cleaner- sealant

...If you use a true polish that would be before paint cleaner.

imported_dpeezy415
03-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Well, if the Gold Class didn`t do much then you`re going to have to do some prep work on the paint.

You have to determine the condition of your paint and address it accordingly. For example, if you`ve got swirls then you`ll need to polish them out or FILL them, and if you`ve got some oxidation, then you`ll need a good paint cleaner, water spots, distilled vinegar.

Wax only amplifies the beautiful finish of your car. It isn`t a cure all.

If you want the perfect finish, you`re going to have to spend a little money to get it. If I were you, I`d read up on proper detailing techniques and invest in some quality products. Then, you`ll have enough to do other people`s cars and you`ll be able to do your car for free.

You took the first step and that was coming to this site. The next step is to decide what you want out of it and how far you want to go.

Do you want to protect your finish so that you can resell at a better price?

Or do you want to have your car looking straight off the lot everytime you drive it?

It`s all up to you.

And we`re all here to help you out along the way. Welcome to AUTOPIA!!!

mystickid
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome a great advice.

I got some quick questions, what is PC and What is #16, I have no clue. Lastly do any coomon store sell AIO or only Online?

Thanx again guys.