PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Business Idea

AutoNova
03-06-2005, 04:14 PM
For those of you that detail full-time what is the best business creating idea you ever had BESIDES word-of-mouth? What really works to bring in new business for you from a marketing standpoint?

MS22
03-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Due to a controversial thread over at DetailCity I just began talking with the owner of a local coin-op car wash in order to promote one anothers business. I feel that his automatic is the best available locally from an Autopian point of view when considering overall care and minimum swirling from an auto. Most of my customers, probably 90%, are too busy/lazy/unmotivated/careless to actually spend the time to properly maintain their finish in terms of weekly washings. Most people will not do the minuimum: 2 bucket method, invest in good products, have multiple mitts, microfiber drying towels, etc. So the business idea is that when I finish with a detail I casually bring up routine maintainance (because I am a full-detail only person due to time constrictions, with a few exceptions for the right people) and if they have always used and still plan to use the local automatic I will sell them wash passes to my "associate" at a discounted rate. In turn the owner, when asked, promotes me as "the best" detailer in the area and hands out my business cards, which are good for a 10% discount. Also the owner and his wife recieve twice yearly details free of charge as an incentive to go along with my plan. I hope to be booked 5-6 days a week (one car per day) once the semester is over. The customers also like the idea because they are getting percentages off for repeated use of both of our services.

AutoNova
03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
That is a very inavative idea, you don`t usually think of an auto car wash as a way to help business but that could work.

detailedcars
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
I began simply by detailing friends and family cars. As word spread about my details I thought I might be able to make alot more money at. I talked to many auto body shops, spent countless hours on the internet researching, and then practicing my skills on my cars. After I set up the business, I started advertising. I began at all the tire and lube shops. In my area that was about 40 shops. I hit these because people have to go there, and its usually to take care of their cars. I also made flyers and hung wherever there was alot of foot traffic, and bulletin boards. I always leave plenty of cards in customers cars, and offer them a discount if they get me more business. I also drive around almost everywhere towing my trailer (its a moving billboard), and I try to detail cars where the public can see me, and my rig. I also hit the car washes on days after it rains, these ppl want their car clean, (and what better market to target) I simply hand them my card, and ask them to keep me in mind. I average 6 full details a week, from the public, and 3-5 a week from a dealer. Needless to say I have plenty of business. I do this as a hobby, and a second source of income, I work at my full time job one day out of three.