PDA

View Full Version : safe to polish new paint?

imported_DARKSTI
03-06-2005, 01:15 AM
the body shop said to just wash it for 30days and not wax/seal it. but i can i still polish it? it will be 30 days next week, but the swirls are driving me nuts. i was going to wash tomorrow and was figuring since #80/82/83 said bodyshop safe it should be ok to polish them outm then next week do a sealent:confused:

Accumulator
03-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you can polish fresh paint, the shops often wetsand/compound/polish it before you even pick up the "freshly painted" car.

Note that fresh paint is often a bit softer than it will be after it`s finished curing. I`ve had, on rare occasions, fresh paint that was too soft for #80 (it left marring before breaking down that required a milder polish, a *very* mild polish). FWIW, the last time this happened was with RM brand b/c and it *is* uncommon. Still, it pays to be careful.

I wouldn`t go any stronger than #80 and I`d try a small area before doing a whole panel. You might need something a lot milder as a follow up.

I wait a lot longer than 30 days before I wax/seal fresh paint. I just use something like Meg`s #5 on it in the meantime.

imported_DARKSTI
03-06-2005, 04:12 PM
ok, i tried #80 w/ green pad @ speed 5 and 6, didnt make much of a difference. i also tried SSR2.5 w cutting pad @ speed 5 following with SSR 1 on blue pad @ speed 5, that made a bigger diffrence, but there are still tons of swirl marks, im using microfiber towels and using 2-3 dime size drops of solution per 2x2 area and working them in until dusting. im stumped, my paint looks better but the swirl marks are still there.

edit: im also going slow with about 3 back to fore strocks and 3 top to bottom strokes with the pc

imported_DARKSTI
03-06-2005, 05:44 PM
ok, i figured it out, i just tried #83 then used #82 after and that got rid of 95% of the swirls.

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Sounds like your paint is curing nice and hard. That`s good for a repaint, which will almost always be softer than factory paint.

opass
03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Is Glasurit product consider hard or soft paint?

The repaint was completed the end of September and garaged 90% of the time. It should be okay to wax or sealant NOW, right?

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by opass

Is Glasurit product consider hard or soft paint?

The repaint was completed the end of September and garaged 90% of the time. It should be okay to wax or sealant NOW, right?

I always considered Glasurit "medium" or "regular". Never seemed as hard as Spies Hecker but it isn`t ultra-fragile-soft either.

Heh heh, OH YEAH that September repaint is safe to wax/seal now :D

imported_DARKSTI
03-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Sounds like your paint is curing nice and hard. That`s good for a repaint, which will almost always be softer than factory paint.

yea, i was at wits end, i figured if i couldnt get them out with 83 id get it re-done.

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by LTHLBLU

yea, i was at wits end, i figured if i couldnt get them out with 83 id get it re-done.

Heh heh, I would`ve bought a rotary or at least a Cyclo before I went that far :D In fact, it was had paint that prompted me to get the Makita.

Next time, try 4" pads. They make the PC much more effective for marring-removal.

imported_DARKSTI
03-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Heh heh, I would`ve bought a rotary or at least a Cyclo before I went that far :D In fact, it was had paint that prompted me to get the Makita.

Next time, try 4" pads. They make the PC much more effective for marring-removal.

ok, thanks ill buy some next chance i get.:bounce