PDA

View Full Version : general carwash dicsussion question...

wannafbody
03-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I have used Turtle Wax Gold car wash which seems to do a fairly good job at cleaning (just got some NXT wash for my car) but my beading died after about a week or so-i realized that the poblem wasn`t the wax dying but rather the car wash was causing hose water to sheet or pool on flat surfaces-so i assume some washes leave something behind-and i wonder if a lot of bad durability of products isn`t the wax but rather a soap issue-is this why some guys QD so often?

NozeBleedSpeed
03-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Of course the shampoos have an effect on longevity of waxes. Harsh shampoos can shorten the duration, as well as using some QDs.

By the same token, shampoos with added "shine" also alter peoples perception of the durability of waxes. I think thats why so many people that use a wash that contains wax, or even QEW which has added wax, think they are getting 3 months out of most carnaubas. Every wash replenishes the beading, and they think its the wax they put on there months ago.

TW85 HHI
03-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Are you sure QEW has wax in it?

stevet
03-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Are you sure QEW has wax in it?

Absolutely, my bottles of QEW have clumps of it floating around in them.

y33r
03-06-2005, 05:59 AM
I use the NXT soap and my water beeds off very well even though its been a while since my last wax application. My car doesnt really have any flat spots so I wouldnt know if it pools anywhere...

I like the NXT soap, lots of sudds and it has a good smell :)

imported_RIC
03-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I sent an email to QEW [Patrick Huber] and he responded that it did contain wax.

Bobsealant
03-06-2005, 09:38 AM
My take; I don`t buy the argument that soaps leave residue behind which causes sheeting/pooling, as opposed to beading. I think in your example of NXT, the problem is the NXT. When I used the stuff, it didn`t last much longer for me either.

As for QEW affecting waxes in a positive manner, I believe this to be very true. I`ve noticed that some people here measure the beading of a wax while they are washing their car with QEW. To me, this makes very little sense. Since QEW contains wax, does it not make sense that the wax in the QEW is what is causing the beading during the wash? Further to that, I have not seen, and cannot imagine any carnuba wax that lasts three months in any location with a decent amount of heat.

JJ_
03-06-2005, 09:48 AM
I find NXT to be good for removing hard spots on the car, but for a car that has been prep`d and wax`d properly! I use soft wash gel. Works really well and keeps a nice warm look and nice slickness.

imported_Mighty HD
03-06-2005, 10:42 AM
I use Turtle Wax Zip wash ....works fine for me.

SayNoToPistons
03-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Mighty HD

I use Turtle Wax Zip wash ....works fine for me.

yeah same here.

MorBid
03-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Absolutely, my bottles of QEW have clumps of it floating around in them.

Hmmm, I had two bottles of the stuff (one is still un-opened) and there are no clumps of anything in them.

Accumulator
03-06-2005, 11:43 AM
In my experience it pays to find a wash that is compatible with your LSP. The Griot`s Car Wash I use seems to work very well with my LSPs, for instance. It does not contain wax, and I don`t QD very often (never on most vehicles), yet I get pretty long-lived beading/slickness/etc. out of my LSPs. Even my Souveran lasts far longer than a week/a few washes, and I use it on the XJS (*lots* of heat from engine, very hard on wax).

FWIW, the MPV`s KSG is still slick and beading (just starting to sheet in places) on the roof after far longer than a year- never QDed, washed quite often. No, I usually don`t let anything go that long, but now that panel has turned into an experiment of sorts. Being washed dozens of times hasn`t affected it.

I wonder if you`re using too strong a soap mix? Maybe not rinsing it off soon/thoroughly enough? Maybe your soap and water (hard? soft?) aren`t compatible.

stevet
03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MorBid

Hmmm, I had two bottles of the stuff (one is still un-opened) and there are no clumps of anything in them.

I have three 1 gallon jugs and they all have little clumps of wax floating around in them. I`m sure I have read of others having a similar experience with QEW.

There is definitley wax in QEW. It`s one of the reasons I stopped using Klasse SG for my sealant. I wash with QEW all winter and whenever I added a coat of SG the durability was very poor. Bonding issues with the wax from QEW. I have since switched to Collinite Insulator Wax.

wannafbody
03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
in my case it could have to do with the hard water moreso than the soap but it would seem that in order for a soap to sheet water it would have to leave something on the surface of the wax