PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Car Prep for auto body

solarafied
03-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Well I am finally getting around to getting my car`s body repaired after the damaged it sustained back in January. Unfortunately I have been unable to clean it thoroughly due to snowstorms and it just being to cold to use to use the outside water hose. Up until now I have been just rinsing my car off at the coin-op and blasting the rims. I know it`s not entirely sufficient but better than leaving all that salt on. I need to figure out how to get my car clean because I am afraid if I take it to the auto body it will become swirled and scratched up when they attempt to wash it.

My car appears too dirty for Qew. Any suggestions?

MongooseGA
03-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Wash it normally.

Polish in the Spring.

MorBid
03-05-2005, 05:03 PM
I wouldn`t worry about it too much. You didn`t say if they are repainting the whole car or just one or two panels.

In any case they will both wash the car and clean the panels (Prep-Sol or something similar) before starting any work. It`s a standard practice.

The whole process would fail otherwise because of contaminates and they would have to do it all over at their expense.

As for the swirls and scratches, a good body shop shouldn`t leave any. If they are only repairing panels and not repainting the whole car, they really only need to focus on those panels.

They may, as a courtesy or value add, wax the entire car for you (if they are not painting the entire car, I don`t see them polishing and waxing it cause that takes time and time is money) but you can tell them not to or not to if they`re not going to guarentee a swirl/mar free finish.