PDA

View Full Version : Another Leather Cleaning Question

boscobaby
03-05-2005, 07:36 AM
What would be the best leather cleaner and conditioner to use on my Acura Legend, 1995... the leather seems to be soft in soft areas and starting to be pretty rough in other areas. Should i use a brush, and what type? Is there anyway to get the rougher leather soft again? thanks

SayNoToPistons
03-05-2005, 01:22 PM
i clean my infiniti`s leather with a damp MF towel and then i spray the seats with Lexol leather conditioner then wipe it with a clothe and let it dry.

TW85 HHI
03-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you could use Leatherique, a leather restorer.

http://autogeek.net/lereoil.html

boscobaby
03-05-2005, 07:26 PM
has anyone tried the leatherique and had great success with it? do i scrub it in with my hand or a brush? does leather tend to become sticky if you use a conditioner and the leather wasn`t completely clean all the way?

togwt
03-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Renovating Leather:

Rejuvenator Oil - known for its ability to soften even cardboard hard leather, a complex blend of animal oils and proteins, Collagens and other beneficial ingredient, it will not stain or discolour leather. Simply massage into the leather with your hands, and let it be absorbed into the fibres, its` unique capillary action forces the oils and proteins into the leather and the dirt out.

Prestine Clean - does not contain any harsh chemicals or petroleum distillates to dry and destroy fine leathers, contains a conditioner that cleans and conditions vinyl, even rubber trim pieces. Use to clean leather after application of Rejuvenator Oil has done its job or as maintenance cleaner.

Application Methodology:

â€Â¢Apply cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 6:1 or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back).

â€Â¢Use a Microfiber waffle weave towel, rinse in warm, clean water and wring out as much moisture as possible, fold the towel in half and then half again

â€Â¢The oil will work better if you first warm it in a microwave, and also warm the leather surfaces (in the sun, with a hair dryer or with the vehicles heating system) this allows the oil to permeate deeper

â€Â¢Apply 3-4 ounces of the Rejuvenator Oil onto each of the seats with a light to medium pressure.

â€Â¢Ensure complete coverage of surfaces, especially the seams

â€Â¢Let the Rejuvenator Oil remain on surfaces 8-24 hours for best results. Avoid driving during cure period.

â€Â¢Once the Rejuvenator Oil has been on the surfaces for at least 8 hours, you will see the grime that has lifted come to the surface, it may be a whitish haze, and any tacky residue on the surface is dirt or pollutants that have been forced out of the fibres.

â€Â¢Put the Prestine Clean in a clean mist / spray bottle

â€Â¢Spray lightly onto a 100% cotton DF Microfiber towel, apply to leather surfaces with light to medium pressure, for tough dirt gently agitate the surface with a boar`s hair cleaning brush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather.

â€Â¢Wipe leather surfaces with a damp Microfiber cloth, turn towel to clean fold surface as necessary

â€Â¢Finally buff all leather surfaces with an Autopia Concourse Buffing Towel

â€Â¢If you require a softer finish, repeat the above Rejuvenator Oil process.

JonM

boscobaby
03-05-2005, 11:22 PM
wow, that was exactly what i was looking for.. thanks very much TOGWT. have you done this personally? what were your results? close to brand new leather?

togwt
03-06-2005, 12:11 PM
The first car I`d used leatherique on was a SL3000 MB the owner asked for a complete detail but not to worry about the leather seats as they were `too far gone` and he was going to replace them, they felt like hard plastic but not real damage (cracking, but they were faded)

An application of Leatherique Leather dye and Oil / Clean products and they looked amazing.

When he came to pick up the car he was amazed and said I must have misunderstood him, he hadn`t wanted me to replace the seats but said he was very pleased with the way the interior looked with the `new` leather seats and asked how much the replacement seats would cost. He remained a good client for many years until he passed away.

JonM

Steve530
03-06-2005, 12:37 PM
boscobaby,

I`ve used Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean on 3 of our cars. A BMW 530i with almost new leather, a BMW 323is with slight worn leather, and a Subaru Outback with leather that was stiff.

It made the leather on the 530i noticably more supple. The 323is had some wear and hardening. It also softened it, but, of course, did not replace the dye, so the wear is still obvious. The dye replacement is a seperate issue.

On the Subaru, it was more difficult, because, I believe, the leather was coated. But eventually after a couple of treatments and a day of sitting in the sun, you could tell that the Leatherique RO had soaked in, makeing the leather more supple.

Anyway, it`s definitely worth a try. leatherique is a good product, IMHO.

EnduroExpertFSR
04-05-2005, 04:17 AM
where can i buy this leathertique

jasonmac
04-05-2005, 06:54 AM
AutoGeek has it (among others):

http://www.autogeek.net/leleca.html

kompressornsc
04-05-2005, 07:10 AM
I`ll second (or third) the leatherique recommendation. I did my Mom`s `94 XJS with it, and the leather turned out amazing. It was starting to get stiff / cracks in it it, and the Leatherique completely took care of it. Looked like it was straight off the showroom.

As far as application, I just use a rubber glove and pour some on my hand and rub it in. How long you let it bake does make a difference-try to do it as long as you can.

danwatt
04-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah, Leatherique is the only way to go.

I usually apply a lot of it, put some plastic wrap over the seats soaked in Leatherique, and roll the windows up. Park somewhere in the sun so the inside temp of the car gets pretty hot. Leave it there for a few hours.

EnduroExpertFSR
04-05-2005, 02:10 PM
i dont personally have leather im going to be detailing a cadillac escalade with leather and i want to go the extra mile so i can do the other 3 vehicals also