PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Regiment, What do you all think?

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-04-2005, 10:39 PM
This is for the Acura (Nighthawk Black, Highly Swirled)

Wash: 1. Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner

2. Dried w/Meguiars MF Clothes

Prep: 1. Clay Bar/Final Inspection (Lubricant)

2. 3M Compound (For Dark Colored Cars)

Polishing: 1. Menzerna Intensive Polish

2. Menzerna Final Polish ll

Wax: Perfect Shine Method

1. Help ?Sealant(Undecided)?

2. Topped with Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba

I Plan on attemping this with my PC 334 5" R/O

Lake County vs. Meguiars Polishing Pads? (What different pad types should i need for these steps?)

White95Max
03-04-2005, 11:57 PM
My favorite sealant is 4* UPP. So that`s what I would recommend.

I would top with Nattys on black, but it`s up to you. If you want to use GC, I`m sure it will still look great.

For compounding, you`ll probably want to use a light-cut or medium-cut pad.

For Intensive Polish, light-cut or polishing pad.

For Final Polish II, use a polishing or finishing pad.

Accumulator
03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BadSL65AMG

.. 2. 3M Compound (For Dark Colored Cars)..

Lake County vs. Meguiars Polishing Pads? (What different pad types should i need for these steps?)

Which 3M product is that?

Either brand of pads will work fine, but IIRC Lake pads hold up a bit better by PC (Meg`s used to be more for rotaries and their velcro would sometimes fail when used by PC, don`t know if they fixed this).

MorBid
03-05-2005, 01:13 PM
I think he meant 3M SMR for dark colored cars. As SMR is the only product I think 3M makes for both light and dark.

Accumulator
03-05-2005, 01:19 PM
MorBid- That`s what I was thinking too, but I figure there might be something I`m not aware of.

If the SMR (can`t remember the pn) *is* the product in question, I wouldn`t bother using it before the Menzerna twins.

For that matter, I dunno if I`d use GC over a sealant, doesn`t the GC contain mild cleaners?

MorBid
03-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Accumulator:

I think it`s 3009 or something like that and I totally agree that he should drop the 3M product from his routine if he`s going to use the Menzerna twins.

The Menzerna IP does a good job at removing swirls while 3M SMR (if that`s what he was talking about) hides them w/fillers. Totally redundant.

Accumulator
03-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MorBid

I think it`s 3009 or something like that ..

Yeah, that sounds right, maybe 30009 but it`s those two numbers separated by zeroes IIRC.

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Gotta love links...

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_GSHWDCK30Xgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/bgel_BFD5Q1J7M3bl/gvel_GS8V45YN4Pgl/theme_us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

That`s the 3M I have, I used it on another car that was a Dark Metallic Red, and the swirls disappeared for about a week, and then came back, but I thought maybe it was just due to the way the car was dried ("the absorber").

MorBid
03-05-2005, 02:54 PM
BadSL65AMG:

The swirls never really went away.

SMR uses fillers (which is the whole thing behind the dark and light car business) to hide the swirls as opposed to other polishes that will abrade them (or level off the edges) away.

Over time the fillers fade/wear away and the swirls are visable again.

I would follow Accumulator`s advice and ditch the SMR and just use the twins (specifically IP) to get rid of the swirls.

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-05-2005, 05:55 PM
What about the regular 3M rubbing compund (39002), the fine cut? I think I`ll just stick to the Menzerna but I`m curious about the other 3M as I still have a full bottle. Thats what I used on my last car before I bought the dark colored one.

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Ahh yes, I downloaded the Autopia Guide to Detailing. David if you read this, great job putting that together :xyxthumbs After looking at the perfect shine method, I`m curious.. Do I have to use the Klasse All-In-One, or can I just start with the Klasse sealant glaze, apply multiple coats (10-20) and then top it off with a carnauba?

imported_Sullybob
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
You should use AIO then SG for best results. AIO is a paint cleaner that will lay down some protection and help the SG bond. The AIO will prep your paint for the SG.

MS22
03-05-2005, 07:03 PM
The 3M fine-cut compound is just about as aggressive at Menzerna IP. The 3M SMR for dark colored cars is much less aggressive and is IMO a junk product. Give the IP a shot (or the fine-cut) with an aggressive pad and see what happens. Those products are pretty effective when it comes to removing swirls especially when used with a rotary. For heavy swirl removal I tend to stick with either orange or yellow Lake Country VC pads, 7.5".

As for a sealant you already have the Menzerna twins, ordering some FMJ would be a great move. EX is also great on dark colors.

MorBid
03-05-2005, 07:06 PM
BadSL65AMG:

A compound will take out the swirls for sure, but compounding usually leaves a haze that needs to be polished out. That being said, I have some of that 3M fine cut stuff and it`s not as aggressive as some other one`s.

Layering Klasse SG requires 24 hours between each and even the manufacturer doesn`t see the benefit of using more than 4 layers (or so I`ve read)