PDA

View Full Version : Polishing/Cleaning Brown Stainless Steel Exhaust *pics. no 56k!*

Pages : [1] 2

dc5
03-04-2005, 06:47 PM
i have an aftermarket stainless steel full catback exhaust for my car. however, i got it last year and this year, thanks to the snow/salt/everything, it`s in a horrible condition.

i found these photos and my exhaust system is pretty much in the same condition.

my midpipe is BROWN, and my tip is BROWN.

is there any miracle solution on getting it back to its originial or near condition? ie nice shiney stainless steel colour ESPECIALLY the tip!!!

will Eagle One Nev-r Dull work on this? any suggestions?!?

"Original Condition"

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODExMDgwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Tip Photo

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODExMDc0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Resonator

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODExMDcyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

mickg
03-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Autosol metal polish. And, as I found out this morning, THE best thing for cleaning BMW wheels with heavy brake dust that claying and other metal polishes won`t remove. I`m a happy autopian!

imported_fireberd350
03-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Yep hit it with a mild wire wheel and some polish! FOllow with a metal polish wheel, then by hand....will look good as new, that is until it gets ruined again....exhausts are a PITA!!!!

dc5
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
you think it`d work on this? this is pretty heavy stuff.

i don`t know if i can find it in canada either. :(

Bill D
03-04-2005, 07:37 PM
It looks a little too heavy for what I have on tap but from what I read, I`d say http://www.heavymetalpolish.com is the thing for you. You`d probably need all 3 grades of polish.

With exhausts, I like to polish using a PC or probably, in your case, a rotary with a 4" wool pad. In this situation you might want to follow up using a drill with a cotton polishing wheel and some rouge ( Lowes sells it last time I checked). Understanding this is a bit of project taking time, once it`s done, I seal with the Klasse twins although a product like Zoopseal or similar offering from POR 15 is interesting.

C. Charles Hahn
03-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I`ve heard of people using wenol before with some success...

hftw Audi 6
03-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I would give AIO a try! If you got it. :up

Bill D
03-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I have both Wenols and they will be the first thing I reach for next time I do a project like this. Judging by those close ups,I`m fairly certain AIO by itself isn`t going to make huge progress.

dc5
03-05-2005, 09:38 AM
darn it. i can`t find any of these products locally here in Toronto. Seems like everything has to be shipped up here.

Eagle Nevr-Dull won`t penetrate through this will it? That tip is really bad.

Bill D
03-05-2005, 10:06 AM
I doubt the Nevr-Dull is strong enough. It` couldn`t do much on much milder stuff for me. May be go to a hardware store and see what kinds of metal polishes they have there.

Blazern00b
03-05-2005, 10:18 AM
That heavy metal stuff is awsome stuff. I have a brother who uses it on things and it can clean like nothing else.

In the past to polish stainless and chrome I have used a die grinder with a buffer wheel attached and some polishing compound that comes in sticks, like in a tube similar to grease. If you go that route, buff it till it sqweels.

gav'spurplez
03-06-2005, 12:49 AM
i am going to have to try some of that heavy metal polish for my headers :xyxthumbs :bounce

imported_Sullybob
03-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Blazer00b I think that the polish you used was jewlers rouge.

stevet
03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by zaius

darn it. i can`t find any of these products locally here in Toronto. Seems like everything has to be shipped up here.

Eagle Nevr-Dull won`t penetrate through this will it? That tip is really bad.

Heyzaius,

I`m from Canada and I have found Wenol at Home Hardware. They also sell Flitz Metal Polish. Check out some motorcycle shops for metal polishes to.

dc5
03-06-2005, 12:00 PM
great! Will Flitz be powerful enough?