PDA

View Full Version : Best Sheepskin Mitt Vendor?

Pages : [1] 2 3

thinksnow
03-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Excuse the whining:

I`m going broke from sheepskin wash mitt purchases. I really don`t have the time/patience to properly hand wash my mitts, nor do I trust myself to properly remove all contaminants by hand. Therefore, I throw them in the washing machine (gentle/warm) and air dry. Unfortunately, they seem to spontaneously combust after 4-5 washes. $9-$10 apiece adds up, especially on my current Ramen and lift ticket budget.

The Costco 4-pack is a decent deal at $10/4, but they are one-sided and VERY short-lived.

Is there a good source for bulk mitts within reason? I could do 10-15 but not 100, as I don`t have time to part-time right now.

jayt991
03-03-2005, 09:12 PM
i like the ones from excel towel. they carry 3 different types.

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=30057

thinksnow
03-03-2005, 09:19 PM
I can`t believe Patrick`s prices are that low. Order will be placed, and thanks to you zim!

I miss ACK--you are lucky.

Originally posted by zimmerolls

i like the ones from excel towel. they carry 3 different types.

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=30057

*edit* Thanks a LOT:rolleyes: --inexpensive wash mitts turned into inexpensive wash mitts and numerous other things:D

jayt991
03-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by thinksnow

and thanks to you zim!

:xyxthumbs

i dont get over to nantucket too often, especially this time of year. during the summer can be a difficult too with all the tourists visiting.

MongooseGA
03-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Wal-Mart sells the Eurow mits for $4 a pop. I`ve machine washed mine on gentle numerous times and have only had one fall apart because it stayed wet and rotted.

Ramen and lift tickets, eh? You`re in college, so where`s the beer you have to budget for? :lol ;) :p

thinksnow
03-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Ramen and lift tickets, eh? You`re in college, so where`s the beer you have to budget for?

Grad school budgets are even tighter than undergrad budgets. I have to eat, and it`s winter, so sacrifices must be made. You could say that my demand is fairly inelastic for time on the slopes and fairly elastic for everything else.

Well, everything except for exceldetail...

stevet
03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Thinksnow, try drying your mitts in the dryer. I had the same problem you have until I started drying them in the dryer. I find air dying the mitts takes too long and causes them to rott and they fall apart after 4 or 5 washes. The two mitts I am currently using are in excellent shape and I have been using them twice a week since September.

imported_Burlyq
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
If you insist on machine washing maybe you should switch to MF. All you`ll need for a year is a good wash. You can pick up

wonder wasche with your order.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwmitt.html

My sheepskin Mitts last about 6 months or 50 washes by hand, so I would say unless you like wasting money, don`t machine wash them. If you like wasting money just cut out the middle man and put you cash straight in the hot dryer, lol. Grad school budget washing sheepskin by machine, you`re killing me.

jonw440
03-03-2005, 10:30 PM
I have one I STILL use at every wash and its going on 3 years old. Its a Viking from Autopia.

I just rinse it so ALL the soap is gone from the mitt. Then I hand wring it until I cant get anymore water from it. To dry, just place it over a coke bottle and stand it up. It is dry and keeps its form for next time. Mine has NEVER been in the washing machine or dryer.

thinksnow
03-03-2005, 10:31 PM
You know, that was one of my theories--the things do take FOREVER to air dry. I`ll use one of the mitts I just ordered as a "control" mitt and the others will be machine dried. Winner take all. Thanks:up

Originally posted by stevet

Thinksnow, try drying your mitts in the dryer. I had the same problem you have until I started drying them in the dryer. I find air dying the mitts takes too long and causes them to rott and they fall apart after 4 or 5 washes. The two mitts I am currently using are in excellent shape and I have been using them twice a week since September.

imported_Burlyq
03-03-2005, 10:34 PM
I second jonw440, I just wring out the water everytime. My Mitts say on the package do not machine dry. beta mitt, lol. Tell us how long it lasts, but also try hand washing and wringing out to be fair.

thinksnow
03-03-2005, 10:34 PM
The larger issue for me than time or laziness was the fear that I wasn`t going to be as thorough as a 30 minute warm water wash cycle with two rinses. I`d rather spend a tiny bit more and have guaranteed clean mitts than marr the paint that *one* time.

I don`t question the advice, I question my mitt-washing diligence:)

Postscript: I tried the MF mitt thing, but it just doesn`t seem "right," if that makes sense.

Originally posted by Burlyq

If you insist on machine washing maybe you should switch to MF.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwmitt.html

My sheepskin Mitts last about 6 months or 50 washes by hand, so I would say unless you like wasting money, don`t machine wash them. If you like wasting money just cut out the middle man and put you cash straight in the hot dryer, lol. Grad school budget washing sheepskin by machine, you`re killing me.

imported_Burlyq
03-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Gotcha, I prefer Sheepsking for sure. But poor and lazy don`t mix well so pick one, lol. Actually I use a good soap to clean the Mitt and have never marred a car. Also, the Mitt never touched anything except paint. However, I have started using QEW and stuff seams to be harder to wash out when using that product, so I may end up try the washing machine out myself when using QEW.

Bill D
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I have great luck with the softest $5 Wal Mart Eurow mitts. The tip that drying them in the dryer, I find especially inside out, does indeed seem to prolong their usabilty.

imported_uflraptor
03-04-2005, 09:36 AM
By no means are they cheap but Iâ€â„¢ve been very pleased with the sheep skin mitts from Griots. Iâ€â„¢ve tried a few of their products and this is by far my favorite.

Shawn