PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba or Sealant?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasonD
03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Here`s an interesting poll for you guys.

Do you prefer the richness, gloss, and depth of a carnauba, but at the expense of short lifespan and the *stickiness* a wax will bring (dust attraction), or do you prefer to stick with the longevity, slickness, and reflectiveness of a sealant?

Obviously, most people just do both by topping a sealant with carnauba, but that`s not the question here. If you had to pick only one, what would it be?

FYI, this is just for kicks. :xyxthumbs

Soarer V
03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Carnauba (PS) on Black single stage paint.:cool:

MongooseGA
03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
It depends on the season.

Do I get to trade in each one for the winter/summer? :lol

Overall, the carnuba. It`s not that much work to wax a car as long as you don`t screw up the finish.

imported_Sullybob
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Jason I picked Sealant becuase if I could only have "one" I would want durability and I think that a Sealant wins that hands down. Plus some of the Sealants are looking pretty darn good.

stevet
03-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Collinite Insulator Wax. The carnauba that lasts like a sealant:cool:

imported_memnuts
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Sealant. I just do not get the longevity of the "just detailed" appearance with a carnuaba. My sealant of choice presently, with a anal prep (required for all protectants for maximum appearance qualities) gives me the "just-out-of-the-paint-booth" appearance I am looking for. Day after day after day until I wash them again. There is nothing like driving thru a rainstorm and arriving with only the tires (rims are sealant protected also) looking waste for wear and the paint showing minimal signs of the trip. :xyxthumbs

Bill D
03-03-2005, 06:47 PM
I stopped using carnuaba for a long time but started up again after getting a new black car. I love the look and a regular re application regimen is a lot of fun for me. I call it "The Main Event" of detailing :xyxthumbs

cwcad
03-03-2005, 06:48 PM
i would have to go with the sealant if i had to choose just one. FMJ has produced great results on my black truck. klasse SG is also a great product that i currently have on my wife`s pewter olds bravada.

imported_Sullybob
03-03-2005, 06:52 PM
blkZ28Conv I do like the way rain water almost washes my car.

Bill I know what you mean. I find that after I wash the car I want to do more to it and about the only thing left on my small car is the under carraige. I`m not sure if I want to go there or not. I think at that point my wife will have me commited :) I topped my SGx4 with S100 last weekend. It was fun to do but I will have to use it some more before I decide if I want to go with a carnuba topper or just SG.

Bill D
03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Sullybob

Bill I know what you mean. I find that after I wash the car I want to do more to it and about the only thing left on my small car is the under carraige. I`m not sure if I want to go there or not. I think at that point my wife will have me commited :) I topped my SGx4 with S100 last weekend. It was fun to do but I will have to use it some more before I decide if I want to go with a carnuba topper or just SG.

Nah, just neighbors will look at you strange when they see a pair of legs sticking out from under the car :D :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
I will admit guys that I do miss using a carnuaba (over 40 years of using such products) but with many new sealants the application process is almost the same with the faster drying products that are available today.

imported_memnuts
03-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Nah, just neighbors will look at you strange when they see a pair of legs sticking out from under the car :D :xyxthumbs

.... and after a few episodes they will get used to it. Besides Sully, your wife will know where to find you. ;)

JasonD
03-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Since I started this poll I guess I should have been the first to answer.

My choice would be sealant since you get far greater durability and less maintenance. I love the look of a carnauba but not on a daily driver or any car that lives outside.

Besides, it seems that sealants are starting to take on more of a carnauba *look* every day so you really can`t beat them. My waxes are slowly being pushed to back of the detailing cabinet and my sealants are all starting to be grouped right in the front. :D

1 Clean WS6
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I`m a carnauba kinda guy...especially the high end ones from companies like Pinnacle. Why??? I love the look and I like waxing my cars any chance I get!!! :dance

imported_dpeezy415
03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
How `bout EX sealant w/ carnauba?

Seriously I think technology is blurring the line between the two (as far as looks go) and sealants have surpassed carnaubas considering durability issues.

But there`s something about the PROCESS of applying a paste wax that I love so much.