PDA

View Full Version : what type of lighting is used at gas stations?

andrew300
03-03-2005, 01:18 AM
i thought my car was swirl free until i saw it today under gas station lights. what lights are those? halogen or flouresent? what would be some good recomendations that i could for my garage? you cant see any paint defect under my garage lighting but man was i sad when i was filling up the tank.

Setec Astronomy
03-03-2005, 01:21 AM
I knew there was a good reason for getting gas during the day...

imported_dpeezy415
03-03-2005, 01:34 AM
I would guess fluorescent but not sure...

Funny, I just got back from the gas station a couple of hours ago just to use the lights to inspect my work tonight.

Wash/Spot Clay/SG/UGE

AA on tires (gotta use it up...)

I AIO/SG`ed this past weekend and slowly working her back to form...

AIO + 2xSG + 4*UGE = :xyxthumbs

andrew300
03-03-2005, 01:37 AM
ok well i have to be more specific here. i dont want to run any lighting, i just want some good light to spot defects that is portable. portable is the key right now. i dont need anything special but just a good light source too see most of the defects. after im done ill take it down to the gas station

TEGBOY
03-03-2005, 01:49 AM
They are usually gas discharge bulbs. Same ones that in gym`s and school statums

benpocock
03-03-2005, 04:12 AM
I had a quick Google and came up with the following. It would appear that garage forecourt lights are either sodium (orange glow), mercury, or metal halide. Quite fancy a few of the really bright white ones in my garage!

http://www.vandalite.com/vandal/Dat-Octane.pdf

Ben

jimmybuffit
03-03-2005, 05:53 AM
Metal Halide.

Jim

dc5
03-03-2005, 06:06 AM
trying looking into holophane lighting.

togwt
03-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by manawar

ok well i have to be more specific here. i dont want to run any lighting, i just want some good light to spot defects that is portable. portable is the key right now. i dont need anything special but just a good light source too see most of the defects. after im done ill take it down to the gas station

Inspection Lighting (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51416)

JonM

wannafbody
03-03-2005, 09:38 AM
the lights at mall parking lots reveal a lot of paint imperfections-mine has acid rain pits and etching

andrew300
03-03-2005, 10:35 AM
wow, lots of different answers. could someone give me a link to where i could get some?

Accumulator
03-03-2005, 11:28 AM
manawar- Griot`s sells metal halides, IIRC. But I`d contact a local electrical contractor. Probably be cheaper and they could recommend somebody to install them. These are the sort of lights that generally require professional hardwiring.

FWIW, I don`t think you *really* need them. Between halogens and high-wattage incandescents I can spot even the finest micromarring, even on silver. Just gassed up the S8 and the minivan the other night, no surprises under the gas station lights.

STBear
03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Pep Boys has a Twin-Head Halogen Light with stand on sale for $14.99 after $5.00 mail in rebate.