PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Color Matching Company??

msmcdon
03-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey all...

I haven`t posted in a long time but I manage to lurk around here a couple times a week. I`ve tried a search but because I can`t remember this company`s name... all I get are topics on how to repair chips. I know how to repair the chips, I just need to get a bottle or two of the repair paint.

I need to find a company willing to match the unusual color of my Mustang. I`m looking for a business that can custom-make a paint sample for repairing chips and scratches. I know someone posted a link here a year or so ago... and I lost the info.

Does anyone remember this company and can you post their website for me again??

Thanks much!

:xyxthumbs

imported_iceberg
03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
PaintScratch (http://paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/log_affiliate.cgi?AFFIL=1049)

msmcdon
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Wow... such quick service! That`s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, iceberg.

the other pc
03-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Mail/internet order companies can only match to the nominal factory specification. If your paint is different (faded, custom, slightly odd factory batch, etc.) nobody will get a good match without seeing it in person and custom mixing.

Any automotive paint shop should be able to do some custom mixing but in most areas there are usually one or two who are better than the others.

The best custom color mixer in my neighborhood is a Sherwin-Williams (http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/company/store_locator.cfm) dealer.

PC.

msmcdon
03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, PC... I had it repainted in 1991 and it has been garaged 95% of the time since then... so there is very little fading. On top of that, there is a spot in the trunk where the "new" paint flaked off, revealing the original paint underneath. I can see hardly any difference between the two.

So...I do agree that I`m running the chance of a slight mis-match but since I`m only repairing very insignificant spots, I seriously doubt anyone will see any difference.

I purchased a 2 oz bottle from Paintscratch so tide me over. Later on, I`m having the underside of the hood repainted by a very reputable body shop. So when that is done, I`ll ask them for a little extra touchup bottle.

Thanks again!

imported_iceberg
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
HoneyGold65,

re: fast service, you`re welcome. I got all the goodies I learn here bookmarked. Now if I could just get some work done . . .

msmcdon
03-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Update: Received the paint in the mail yesterday. I put a swipe on a nice white piece of paper, let it dry and held it next to the Mustang. PERFECT MATCH!

I`m so excited to get these chips taken care of. I`ll try to post some pics of the before/after... but with a traditional film camera, it takes a bit of time.

Thanks again, everyone.