PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help with Zaino!

ShinyBlack
03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Heya guys

Just got delievery of my new black ride.

I have used Megs and Autoglym extensively on previous cars (not black), but am pretty new to Zaino. Decided to try something new. Hope u guys can help me here...

I have managed to get like 6 coats of Z2pro on within like a mth.

Surface prep was in accordance with Zaino`s guidelines, with dawn, z7, clay and Z1 then z2 with a few days btw coats.

In the process of driving daily and parking w.o shelter, i ve got some water marks baked into the car in my tropical weather.(where it can rain every other day and get really hot in the afternoons)

The reason why I have put on mulitple layers of Z2 within such a short period is so there is both durability and increased protection against water marks and dirt.

I wash my car a minimum of 3 times a week.

Now, ive realised that the Z2pro does not work as a cleaner to remove anything more than the slightest of scratches and watermarks.

I figure i have to use some sort of an abrasive polish or cleaner to remove the embedded marks and minor scratches

What do u guys recommend? Im not inclined to use Z5 because my peers have had little success with removing swirls/marks with them.

I have had previous experience with Megs Scratch X and Klasse AIO. Will these screw up the bonding process btw Z2 layers?

I have run some searches in the forum and it seems that the durablity of Z2 goes down with AIO?

Any1 cares to comment how much? What about scratch X with Z2 pro?

I intend to Z2pro once a mth at least subsequently. So as long as the Z2 can last a mth in tropical weather with AIO/Scratch X, its fine.

Lastly, If i apply AIO or scratch X, does that mean that my previous layers of Z2 go do the drain?

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated.

Im quite anal when it comes to grooming, pretty much like u guys are!

;)

SK2003TypeS
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Welcome to Autopia :wavey

Klasse AIO is a great base for Zaino. AIO will remove any Z2 you have on there now, so after AIO you`ll have to reapply Z2. Sounds like you keep your car really well, so the AIO will probably remove the water spots pretty easily.

I did a AIO with Z2 combo last fall and it`s still holding here in New York. We`ve had more than enough snow, salts and sands this winter.

ShinyBlack
03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the insights SK!

Im glad that the AIO can work well as a base with Z2pro.

Such a pity that it will remove all Z2 layers though. A case of $$$ and time gone down the drain...

That also means that each time i AIO, i remove exisitng layers of Z2 pro. I guess it will be more cost effective not to layer too many layers of Z2 pro? Since minor swirls and scratches are almost inevitable even with z2 pro, thus requiring more repeat AIO and then z2 application

I have more questions for everyone! ha!

1. Can any 1 confirm that Z2pro is essentially a sealant with almost no cleaning ability? What do u guys use as a cleaner with good results b4 z2 pro anyways?

2. Can i further layer pure carnuaba like S100 over my z2 pro w.o. once again screwing the bonding process and causing the durability of the z2 to go down?

3. Just to seek some opinions here, will S100 give better results than Z6 on Z2pro on a black car as a final detailer?

4. If im gonna use AIO or any other polish as a base for z2pro, when do i need to reapply my z1?

Thanks guys! U guys rock!

:xyxthumbs

SK2003TypeS
03-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I just started using AIO as a base for Zaino last year. A lot of great detailers whom I`ve learned from over the years were boasting about it so I gave it a shot and was pretty impressed with my results.

You might want to try to target a small section (where you have some water spots), and apply/remove some AIO by hand. See if it gets out your water spots. What I meant to say before, is that the fact that you keep your car so clean, I`m guessing that these spots are not really "deep" in there.

A lot of the long term Zaino users here will say that it`s not worth doing more than 2 or 3 layers of Zaino. I think the most I`ve done myself is around 6. These days I don`t do more than 2 because I really can`t see any difference. There are a lot of people out there that will do tons and tons of layers. The red NSX in my gallery had like 10 or 12 layers on it. Don`t get me wrong, it looked great, but I don`t think it was because of the 10 or 12 layers. 2 would`ve probably looked just as good. (I hope this doesn`t start some back and forth posting). :p

1. Z2pro is a sealant, yes.

2. S100 is a pretty popular topper for Zaino. Will not screw with the bonding.

3. Try 2 different sections (maybe split the hood in half) and see what you prefer.

Hope this helps

ShinyBlack
03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
really appreciate the speedy replies SK.

btw ive checked out yr pics.

they look mad shiny with depth! Awesome!

Any1 else cares to share wat cleaners they use with z2 pro for good effect and a topper for z2?

imported_memnuts
03-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Welocme to Autopia! :bounce

Black daily driver in the tropics! :shocked

I have 3 black cars but only one is a daily driver (wife`s). I understand your pleasure and pains. :D

Zaino polishes are not really polishes but sealants. They are of no value for corrective procedures. The Z1 is a chemical cleaner but will not eliminated waterspots.

At the present time AIO or VM (Clearkote Vanilla Moose) are 2 popular and easy to work with products to prep surface for minor defects. I would suggest after either product to wipe down with Z6 prior, in your case, application of Z1 and than the Z2-PRO.

With Z2-PRO I rarely apply more than 2-3 coats which can be accomplished in one session with the use of ZFX. Really a time saver. 1 wash, 1 dry, 1 surface prep session and than 3 coats of Z2-PRO/ZFX. All in one afternoon.

I do not top my Zaino. From past experiences and an anal prep emphasizing natural depth, gloss, wetness of the paint, I have found little visual advantage by topping with a carnuaba. The biggest disadvantage is that one must remove the carnuaba prior to adding another layer of Zaino polish.

Since you are going to apply Z2-PRO once a month and you do get a personally better appearance with a topper. Go ahead. A good Z7 wash will remove any carnuaba still left on surface considering the environment (tropical) it will be exposed to.

Hope this helps.

togwt
03-02-2005, 06:34 PM
You might consider a Carnauba wax on top of Z2Pro /Klasse AIO g to act as sacrificial protection against airborne contaminants like ultra violet (UV) and infrared (IR) radiation, oxidation, acid rain, industrial fallout, pollution, bird and insect excrement; this barrier can be reapplied when the wax has eroded. (Carnauba wax contains a natural UV blocker but the amount of protection that a microscopically thin layer can provide is limited) By renewing the sacrificial wax regularly, your paint will be protected and you should suffer no major UV damage over the normal course of the life of the car. Where are you located, and what type of environment / weather do you have there?

JonM

Jon

ShinyBlack
03-03-2005, 12:23 AM
thanks guys...

really helpful insights.

Im located in Singapore, tropical weather with rain almost every other day, temperature here is mostly above 90f on all afternoons! (Which makes water droplets dry up really quickly, possibly etching into the paint bearing in mind the car is non garaged 24/7 Ouch!!!)

Im curious why no 1 has made mention of 3M SMR, or Meguairs Scratch X. Do these 2 pdts not go well with z2?

I was thking of spot polishing my watermarks and minor swirls/scratches with the above, instead of AIOing the whole car and removing my previous layers of z2.

Wat do u guys thk will yield better results ? AIO all over as a base with a couple of Z2pro coats and repeat the process every 1-2 mths,

OR

Spot polish as and when i get marks/swirls/scratches with Megs Scratch X or 3M SMR, then top with z2 as needed.

About the topper thingy,

I have tried s100 on a small portion of the hood after z2, n have managed to get the surface a lil more slick then before, but the added advantage pretty much ends there.

Im just curious if any1 has used Megs final inspection QD as a topper for z2 with good results?

There s a crazy offer of Megs FI in my area with free clay to go now!

Else, i guess il just stay with z6

SK2003TypeS
03-03-2005, 09:19 AM
3M SMR and Meg`s Scratch X are great products. People do use them during their prep stage, but then it`s recommended to do a wash after to ensure proper bonding. I think products like AIO and Menzerna polishes are popular for Zaino prep because they don`t require a wash prior to Zaino (not to mention they`re great at what they do).

If I were to use 3M SMR or Scrach X, I`d spot polish (like you mentioned) and then go over it with AIO. I`ve done Meg`s #9 SMR, AIO and then Zaino and really liked the results. The AIO seemed to add some depth for me. So for now, AIO is my base for Zaino....I`m going to try some new combo in the spring (TBD).

You won`t have to do the AIO and Z2 process every 1-2 months....those two together will last longer than that, provided you just wash your car regularly. If you take Jon`s recommendation and do the S100 as the sacrificial, that would be something you`d want to apply every 1-2 months.

I use Meg`s FI on Z2 with good results. Between FI and Mother`s Showtime (really liking that lately), they`re great QDs for Zaino IMO. Not to mention they`re a lot cheaper than Z6. The only time I use Z6 is when I`m doing Zaino itself.

Oh and thx for the compliments :)

imported_RIC
03-03-2005, 09:35 AM
ShinyBlack

Before using AIO or something else to remove the waterspots try the Z1. Sometimes it is able to remove them but it depends on how baked on they are.

You have nothing to lose by trying that first and if it works you could just apply another coat of Z2Pro if you want to.

ShinyBlack
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
SK,

thanks for the tips on the scratch X! I thk il use it for spot polishing where there are problem areas. AIO does not remove all tuffer marks, IMHO.

So il go yr way, with the Megs, AIO, then the Z2. I really crave deep + shiny, akin to looking tru a pool of water. Wonder if il ever reach there...hah!

BTW I just applied s100 all over to my now 6 layers of z2.

Really feels slick and does darken the black a tad, as compared to Z2 on its own.

And yes i totally agree that Z6 is really expensive compared to other QDs, in my area at least.

Sal does recommend mixing Z6 with distillled water on a 1:1.

Any1 here does that? And how often do u guys QD anyways?

ShinyBlack
03-03-2005, 10:03 PM
thanks RIC,

Il try the Z1 method out.

Ive tried rubbing really hard with z2 on a applicator to no avail.

I really doubt the water marks have eaten into the clear coat, but the z2 just wont get em off.

Keep u guys updated with the results man.

SK2003TypeS
03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
The general rule of thumb is to use the least abrasive product and then gradually get more abrassive. AIO may not work in some cases where Scratch X might.

If you have 6 layers of Z2 and s100 over that, I`d leave it for now (for the majority of the car) and just focus on problem areas (water spots).

People do dilute Z6. I usually use it straight up. I use Meg`s FI and Mother`s Showtime so much more because they`re cheaper and effective.

I QD after each wash. I have tried David`s method of wiping down the car each day with some QD, water, towels, etc. but I admit this is usually just a week or two after I`ve pulled a Zaino weekend. Then I just go back to weekly washing.

The idea is pretty straightforward, spend about 5 or 10 minutes a day just QDing the car and that amount of time eventually adds up to the time it takes to do a weekly wash. (any one have a link to that article, haven`t read that one in a while). :o

The big plus I find is that you`re pretty much driving a freshly detailed car every day. The downside is that I run the risk of scatching/marring my paint because I`m passing something over it each day.

Rubbing really hard with Z2 to remove water marks will not remove them. Z2 is a sealant, where Z1 is more of a "prep" product (I think that`s where RIC was heading with that). If anything, the Z2 will just "lock in" those water spots even more.

Keep us posted :)

ShinyBlack
03-05-2005, 07:07 AM
sure thing SK, i get m hands on the scratch X and keep u guys updated.

just curious, do u use any carnu waxes as an LSP over yr z2 other then the QDs u mentioned? Any diff in finish?

I read an interesting post in a local forum that #16 is more plasticky and better for light colored cars, whilst

s100 and trade secret better for dark colored cars.

Alas, I have difficulty getting #16 and trade secret locally anyways!

SK2003TypeS
03-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I usually don`t put carnuba over Zaino. For me, Zanio on it`s own gives me what I`m looking for.

I haven`t read #16 being more plasticky. I think we`ve all scene or heard Zaino being more plasticky. #16 should bring out some warmth and depth on it`s own.