PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Pages : [1] 2

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-02-2005, 01:42 AM
Hello All, :wavey

I`m brand new to the forum, and now I don`t know how I could`ve missed it for so long?? I love it already, I`ve been waxing and polishing since what seems to be a very long time ago. I started out with my mother`s `92 ford taurus back in the day, her Volkswagen Passat, and even her `00 Grand Am (still do on mothers day :D ), I would even wax all the cars my old man would bring home from his dealerships, and I`ve had quite a few cars through the years from GM to foreign so I worked my way up on a lot of different finishes. Sadly I still was in the terry cloth is the best stage, and i use a leather chamois to dry my cars with. Recently after buying my Acura (Nighthawk Black) I realized that the terry cloth must not be so good, because all I find is swirls all over. I read all of the beginners stuff, about microfiber cloth, and that terry really isnt good. I still can`t seem to get the swirls out, but it is winter and too cold to get into a serious detail. I`m hoping come summer I will have picked up enough know how to make it look 100x`s better than when it left the factory. I currently have quite a collection of cleaning, polishing, compounds, leather cleaners, etc... But I`m not sure they are all that great. I`ve been stuck on megs is the best for a while now, I use nothing but their paint care products, though now I`m not sure I was using the right ones for the job. I`m also using a ryobi random orbit buffer, will this still get the job done? Enough of my rambling, I`m going to get to searching. Nice to be here, and I look forward to learning alot.

EnduroExpertFSR
03-02-2005, 02:32 AM
i would think the random orbit should do you fine

also megs products are awesome they are all i have used up to now but im starting to look into other brands too due to availabilty issues with local stores

welcome aboard and say good bye to your wallet because this site eats it with the detailing addiction :) i detail cars for money to buy more detailing products its a bad cycle I LOVE IT!!

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-02-2005, 02:42 AM
The only reason I thought the random orbit would be a problem is it might not do as well against swirls? I could be wrong you know. You don`t see much on my other cars other than the Acura because they are fairly bright colors, as a matter of fact I haven`t even applied my first wax to the Benz yet because rumor has it your supposed to wait a while before using any paint care products on new finishes?? :nixweiss Washed it a few times with megs gold class shampoo, but it isn`t my daily driver anyways.

EnduroExpertFSR
03-02-2005, 02:56 AM
well obviously u have some money in your toys :)

but the random orbit is safer for beginners because there is less risk in marring and burning the finish

the best and quickest way would be a rotary polisher but you need to know what your doing with one of them

SK2003TypeS
03-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Welcome to Autopia :wavey

I`m not familiar with Ryobi`s random orbital. The most common orbital people use here is the Porter Cable 7424. The thread in the hall of fame forum made my head spin the first time I read it. I`ve had great success getting rid of swirls with my PC, a polishing pad and Meg`s #9 Swirl Mark Remover. Depends on the level of swirls too.

It`s fine to wax your Benz. The paint has had plenty of time to cure since the factory. Concerns are usually raised when people get cars back from a body shop, but then you should always ask the body shop what they would recommend, etc.

White95Max
03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow those are some awesome cars you have there!

You only need to wait to wax the car when it`s been repainted. It`s perfectly OK to wax your Benz now.

The PC 7424 is a very useful tool for removing swirls. As long as you have the proper pads and polishes/compounds, you can get rid of some pretty nasty swirls/scratches.

Where are you in IL? We`re having an IL / WI meet in April. You could learn a lot there. If you`re interested, here`s the thread...

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48526

Feel free to send me a Private Message (PM) if you have any questions on anything.

Hope to see you there!

:wavey

stilez
03-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

My neighbor just got an 05 SL65 and it truly is a badass car.

As far as detailing, don`t think I`m being short, but a TRULY great site for info is www.bettercarcare.com . I think all of us here can say we have taken a lot from that site.

Good Luck!

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far, and for the compliments on my car. I know it`s a sweet machine, and I`ve fallen in love. :o I`m already in search of more power, so I`m looking to Renntech. This summer I`m going to order their ECU upgrade, that should put it at 670hp up from 604hp. :eek: My Girlfriend is literally jealous whenever I spend time on the cars, she screams about it everytime I want to wax or wash or clean anything on them. :rolleyes: :sosad I need a girl that will come out and get in a skinny bakini and wash and wax it with me. But I guess after working in a skimpy little outfit at work all day (hooters) I can understand why she wouldn`t, well not really, but I`m just trying to make excuses why I should stay with her. ;) I`m in the Orland Park area, and I would most certainly be interested in attending, depending on the day and time. Let me know.

EnduroExpertFSR
03-02-2005, 02:17 PM
i know exactly how that girlfriend stuff goes but i left mine cause of it i loved my car long before i loved my g/f :)

the other pc
03-02-2005, 05:41 PM
:welcome to Autopia BadSL65AMG!

Originally posted by BadSL65AMG

The only reason I thought the random orbit would be a problem is it might not do as well against swirls? ...I assume your Ryobi is one of their 10" orbitals?

If you search around the site you`ll find discussions about using similar machines. If you`re only using them to apply products that don`t need to be "worked" into the finish they`re OK. If you need to use products for cutting or leveling it won`t be up to the job. If your swirls are very, very fine you might be able to improve them with it but probably not. Personally, I find that a 10" pad is too large for working on cars anyway but your mileage may vary.

My main concern would be finding good bonnets for it. As you`ve found there are differing grades of terry cloth. In general it`s more difficult to find high quality terry and microfiber bonnets for a 10" machine. They`re out there but are much less common. Getting top quality pads and bonnets for 4" and 6.5" machines is easy.

No need to worry about being stuck on Meg`s. They do make excellent products. They just aren`t they only ones who do. Hanging around here you`ll get lots of ideas about others you may like to try.

As for the relationship stuff, well I`m not one to be trusted for any advice. I can say that I have at least one friend whose wife gave him the ultimatum, "It`s either me or the car!" Hey, he had the car before they met, what did she expect? Anyway, his second wife loves the car.

PC.

Pats300zx
03-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Welcome to Autopia...:welcome :welcome

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

:welcome to Autopia BadSL65AMG!

I assume your Ryobi is one of their 10" orbitals?

PC.

Nope, 6" orbital.. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0750464953.1109804739@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdgadddmkijigdcgelceffdfgidgln.0&MID=9876

togwt
03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
:welcome to Autopia BadSL65AMG

I`m the last one to give advice on relationships, lets just leave it at `you can love a vehicle but you can`t make love to them`

JonM

imported_BadSL65AMG
03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Sorry, the link on homedepot.com apparently doesn`t lead directly to it. It`s a 6" non adjustable speed (which sucks) RO buffer/polisher. 4,000opm. :nixweiss Not sure why there isn`t any info available on the web when I search for the model #. Maybe it`s a HD exclusive product, because it`s not on the Ryobi site either.

imported_liam
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by BadSL65AMG

Nope, 6" orbital.. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0750464953.1109804739@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdgadddmkijigdcgelceffdfgidgln.0&MID=9876

Welcome! BAD SL65AMG

i`m sure you`ll fall in love with this place as many others have! (myself inculded) :xyxthumbs

interesting link in the above, seems to have lead me to a site about wood doors...

:nixweiss

well all i have to say about your car choice is :woot:

but more power? i don`t know about american stats, but in Aus, 450kw and 1000nm of torque is CRAZY!!!!!!!!! its already doing 12.6sec passes!!!! more power is truely tyre DESTROYING!! i love it.... looking forward to some piccys! :bounce

p.s. 100 posts! yay