PDA

View Full Version : QEW and Viking Cotton Terry Towel

toml
03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
A question for you veteran QEW users ...

After reading up on QEW, I`m going to give it a serious try. I know that some like to use a cotton terry cloth towel for an initial drying pass and follow up with a MF (GSRstilez, Scottwax) while others use MF for the entire process. That`s fine. I also know the reason given for using the cotton terry cloth towel is because it has a much thicker nap to hold dirt away from the surface. That seems quite reasonable, so I think that`s the way I`d like to go. BTW, my car is a 2005 graphite pearl Honda Accord.

For those who use the cotton terry cloth towel, is the Viking Cotton Terry towel a good one to use? I ask because it seems rather thin. If it`s not a good towel to use, what do you recommend?

I plan on using a WW for the final drying. For those of you who use 2 MFs to dry, what do you use?

Thanks!

Scottwax
03-02-2005, 12:32 AM
I get my towels through my Meguiars distributor. I don`t know the brand but they are pretty thick.

The Viking towel is fine, I fold both the terry cloth and MF into 4ths and refold as needed.

toml
03-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback ... very much appreciated! Any others?

liquidtiger720
03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
What are these viking towels you are referring to?

Viking as in the cookware viking? lol

toml
03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
No, Viking towels as can be found at Autozone. They`re also listed on Viking`s website, www.vikingcarcare.com.

Bobsealant
03-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Make sure you use something with a thick knap to trap the dirt.

You`ll need it with QEW.

toml
03-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Make sure you use something with a thick knap to trap the dirt.

What do you use?

Bobsealant
03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Chenille wash mitts are nice and soft. They also have long fibres to trap dirt.

But honestly, when I tried QEW I did not have a great experience with it. I ran my car through the touchless wash and QEW`d when I came home. There was very little dirt on the surface. Despite that, the QEW had a tough time cleaning whatever dirt was there. The mitt became saturated with crud after two panels. I don`t understand how other people can wash a totally dirty car with one gallon of water and one capfull. Heck, the directions on the back of the QEW bottle actually say to use 1 capfull per quart of water.

toml
03-03-2005, 10:31 PM
I just got my QEW from Protect-All (2 16 oz. bottles for $10 plus $5 shipping), and the directions say 1 capful per 2 quarts of water. It works out to 2 capfuls per gallon.

I will be using a chenille covered foam pad for the washing. And I`ve read extensively about the 1 bucket or 2 bucket method, using QD in the mix, an initial application with a spray bottle mixture if the car`s really dirty (and mine is covered in Boston road salt), etc. I`m sure it`ll take a little bit of experimentation and time to see if QEW is really for me. I definitely like the idea.

When you used QEW, did you rinse your mitt out frequently? The fact that it collected crud shows that it was working.

What did you use for drying towels?

toml
03-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Just to close up this thread ...

After getting some new Megs Gold Class Ultra Plush Super Terry towels, the Viking terry cloth towels are going to be relegated to wheel, glass, engine, and interior duty. They`re just too thin and rough for paint use. They also don`t pass the CD test.

The new Megs towels are very nice! Deep, plush, thick cotton pile, roughly 16" x 23" in size, and they`re almost as soft as Pakshak`s ultra-fine MF. They pass the CD test, no scratching (even the polyester satin edging). And you`re told to take the tag off before using!

gbackus
03-10-2005, 09:33 PM
The 2 capfuls measurement is for the gallon size cap, the 16 oz cap measures out to 1/4 oz instead of the 1/2 each for the gallon caps.