PDA

View Full Version : pre-wax necessary on a new car?

Pages : [1] 2

Quant
03-01-2005, 04:29 PM
OK, I`m a newbie to detailing, and have read through the documents on this website, as well as lurking around in the forums.

I will be taking a new car delivery mid-April, and have asked the dealer not to polish/wax the car. I plan on claying, and then using Klasse All-In-One, along with a couple of coats of the Sealant.

My question is, do I need to use a pre-wax polish or cleaner after claying the car? If the car is new, wouldn`t the clear-coat be in a good enough shape to not require a mildly-abrasive polish? Thanks.

seracis
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I would probably use a cleaner just to rid of anything that might be in the way, as well as clay the car. As for the polish, you should not need any abrasives, but you should look the car over really closely upon delivery and inspect for surface marring from the transportation and factory prep. FWIW, just because you tell the dealer NOT to polish or wax doesn`t mean that`s what they`ll do (or not do).

BTW, what`s the car?

imported_liam
03-01-2005, 04:38 PM
i think you`ll find that the AIO is a `type` of pre wax cleaner anyhow. and as long as theres no dealer inflicter swirls, you`ll be fine with that process.

Dalton
03-01-2005, 04:38 PM
I would clay and polish. I prefer a chemical cleaner on a new car. The clay will remove contaminants and rail dust. You wont be sorry

Quant
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
The new "car" is a 2005 Black Lexus GX-470 truck. The dealer wanted to wash the car, and I`m probably ok with that.

I`m only 5`6", so any suggestions on how to work (wax) the roof of this tall vehicle?

imported_liam
03-01-2005, 04:55 PM
you could use a little step ladder, just be VERY careful around your paint, or just open a door and stand on the sill.

sQuashed
03-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I would clay and polish also. The visible inspection of the paint will tell you what kind(abrasiveness) of polish is needed. But nonetheless, polish that new car. VM works wonders on new Black Paint :xyxthumbs

Edit: I wouldnt let the dealer touch it, Especially wash and dry.

colche
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
You will find that AIO will do an excellent job at cleaning the surface and leave an acrylic base for your LSP.

You are correct, you do not require an abrasive polish as your new car should arrive with the clearcoat in immaculate condition and swirl free. Whilst AIO is ever so slightly abrasive, you would be using it more for its cleaning/base preperation abilities. AIO is more a chemical cleaner than an abrasive polish, something like Meguiars #83 DACP or PB SSR2.5 is more typical of an abrasive polish that removes swirls from the clearcoat. This would not be needed on a new car.

I did a brand new car last week, and my process was...

Wash

Clay

Wash

AIO via PC

LSP -- (in this case, Zaino)

Yours i`d imagine would be similiar. Hope you enjoy the car!

Accumulator
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Quant- Welcome to Autopia!

Most new vehicles I`ve allowed the dealer to wash (FWIW, that`s been dozens of cars) got marred in the process. Very few people are able to wash a car without marring the finish and those who can usually don`t work at dealerships :(

Look at the cars in their showroom, using a small flashlight to *really* illuminate your inspection (don`t trust their lighting), you`ll see what I mean ;)

So I`d plan on having to polish it. Oh, and specify that they *not* "polish" or "wax" it, have it written in the sales contract and let them know that you`ll refuse delivery if they *do* polish/wax it or if it somehow gets scratched up. You`re paying enough for that GX that you deserve something undamaged.

Since you`re gonna have to wash it on a regular basis (never mind other detailing chores!), you`ll need something like the work platforms that I use to wash our minivan. I got mine from The Tool Crib (www.amazon.com/toolcrib or (800) 635-5140): Bauer Fold-N-Carry Work Platform, pn #20900 $139.99 Much better than the usual items of this nature. Get two of them, one for each side of the vehicle. Yeah, I know that`ll cost a little bit, but it`s nothing compared to the investment you`re already making in that vehicle. Ten years from now you won`t remember how much they cost but you`ll still be using them for all sorts of jobs.

Spilchy
03-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Accum, you can get the knockoff Bauer 20900 Fold-N-Carry Work Platform at Home Dept for @ $25.00.

It`s made by Gorilla, has the simiar dimensions and locking legs for added stability. It doesn`t have the slip coating, but it is an EXCELLENT alternative.

I have two, one for each side :up If you are on a budget, it is a viable alternative.

You can view it HERE (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=163538&cm_mmc=1hd.com2msn-_-product_feed-_-D22X-_-163538) . Model WP-20-06 - down at the bottom of the page. I got mine for a tad less.

Accumulator
03-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Spilchy- Recognizing that I`m rather, uhm, self-indulgent when it comes to this stuff, the differences between the two are worth the extra $100 *to me*. To somebody else the Gorilla one might be a much better choice so :xyxthumbs for posting it.

Main difference besides the non-slip surface is the size, the Bauer is 60"x21" and I still have to reposition it at least once per side. Anything smaller would drive me nuts, and that extra 6" of width is priceless to me from a safety standpoint. But again, that`s just me.

Spilchy
03-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Spilchy- Recognizing that I`m rather, uhm, self-indulgent when it comes to this stuff, the differences between the two are worth the extra $100 *to me*. To somebody else the Gorilla one might be a much better choice so :xyxthumbs for posting it.

Main difference besides the non-slip surface is the size, the Bauer is 60"x21" and I still have to reposition it at least once per side. Anything smaller would drive me nuts, and that extra 6" of width is priceless to me from a safety standpoint. But again, that`s just me.

I completely understand your point AND agree with it :up It`s like me with my vintage watches. I can buy a 1930`s 14k gold filled Bulova or spend the extra $$ and buy the solid 18k Omega :D

I`m just looking out for the budget-minded folk. As far as safety, I toss that to the wind, for someone with my speed, looks, agility and youth scoffs at danger :p

Accumulator
03-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Spilchy- Yeah, we`re on the same page with a lot of this stuff (which should probably worry you :D ).

And LOL about your still being young and immortal.

Heh heh, if Quant is a normal person we`re probably gonna scare him away with all this, uhm, witty banter :o

Spilchy
03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
oops! Sorry Quant :o Didn`t mean to hijack your thread!

Looks like you got some solid answers (sorry I couldn`t help)

Welcome to Autopia :wavey

Ok, I`m done. Time to go away :hide:

JeffM
03-01-2005, 08:32 PM
A new car is my pride and joy for a little while. I would do a full out detail on it, i might even get Victoria`s wax and do it by hand :)