PDA

View Full Version : wolfgang and silicone

buttashine
11-24-2004, 09:06 PM
I got this off autogeek, seams like wolfgang has silicone in it does this suprise any of you, I know a lot of you like this stuff?

Going where no wax could possibly go in terms of longevity, durability and protection, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant replicates the finer qualities of the best carnauba waxes without the drawbacks. Just a few drops will produce a show-stealing shine that withstands the elements, ultraviolet rays, infrared radiation, salt water, and environmental pollutants and armors your paint for months. It is much quicker and easier to apply than a carnauba wax and the shine is remarkably close. The surface is left super-slick. It is no exaggeration to say that our Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is an exceptional value.

The difference lies in the paint-friendly, water-based formula. Rather than rely on the usual synthetic solvents found in most sealants, we’ve built Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on an oil-in-water emulsion with high-tech “super polymers.” This technologically advanced solution is the perfect balance of silicon polymers, each designated to perform a different task—some have high surface bonding characteristics, some offer superior gloss, some are extremely water-repellant, some are resistant to extreme temperatures. The crystal-like structure yields an incredible, vivid shine, not a sterile, surface shine. The crystals refract light much like high-quality diamonds. Not only are the super polymers specialized for surface enhancement, but they make application a breeze.

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

I`ve had a problem repainting a car that used silicones for paint protection. It was a 69 chevy and granted the primers they used back then aren`t what they are today. But I still told myself I`d never use silicones on any of my personal cars. Does anyone know if Klasse has this stuff, I sure hope not?

The Fuzz
11-24-2004, 09:11 PM
buttashine, Klasse claims to be wax and silicone free.

Silicone is widely used and is in virtually every car care protection product out there. Some companies claim "No HARMFUL silicones" but that doesn`t mean that the products aren`t chock full of good silicones.

Silicone polymers are very durable and easy to use. If the metal is properly prepped, waxes, polymers and silicones are REMOVED from the body BEFORE painting, you shouldn`t have any problems with fish eyes.

Tyrell

buttashine
11-24-2004, 09:46 PM
If the metal is properly prepped, waxes, polymers and silicones are REMOVED from the body BEFORE painting, you shouldn`t have any problems with fish eyes.

Tyrell

Yeah, I grinded the heck out of before priming and only had minor bubbles on two panels But it added a lot of time to the job. I don`t know what this dude used but I think it had a lot of free silicones in it. It had a really deep wet finish but with no shine, like other silicone type products. I`ve never had any issues with other polymer or wax type products. Anyhow, I`m glad klasse doesn`t have them, so either way no worries to me.

The Fuzz
11-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Do you use a product like Prepsol to help ensure the surface is silicone and wax free?

BTW, did you know that my middle name is Wolfgang?

kimwallace
11-24-2004, 10:01 PM
A vehicle`s paint needs to be completely degreased, dewaxed, desiliconed, etc. Prior to ever touching it with sandpaper or a grinder. Otherwise, you are just rubbing everything deeper into the saning marks. It is a good idea to avoid silicone based tire or trim dressing prior to a repaint. somtimes it is tough to get the silicone out of the cracks, which end up on the paint when blowing the dust off the car.

buttashine
11-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Yes we use a proline of cleaners after grinding but nobody cleans prior to grinding that I know about. Silicones can get into the metal long before you grind it. And nope Fuzz didn`t know you where part wolf but it doesn`t suprise me. Maybe there`s a non issue with that product, I was just suprised when I read it. That company should clarify if those silicones are "free" or not.