PDA

View Full Version : New to Zaino and its steps....

Pages : [1] 2

MercuryMarauder
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Hello all Iâ€â„¢m new here and this site is GREAT. Iâ€â„¢m just your

typical "Drive way detailer" and I have a few questions, I have a

2003 Mercury Marauder (black). These cars don`t have the best

paint from the factory (Ford go figure :o ) I love this car to

death and have tried every wax/polish available at the stores even

the "5 Star Polish" finally I said time for the Zaino kit. Now

Iâ€â„¢ve read allot of post and I learned allot about prep. I think

I have always lacked this. I wanted to ask what steps should

I proceed with first? This Is what I was planning on doing.

1.Wash car with Zaino car wash.

2. Zaino Clay Bar

3. Z2 x2

4. Z5 x2

Would this be the right approach? Thank you guys for any input

it would be helpful.

-Mike

TGates
02-28-2005, 06:52 PM
The first thing for you to do is evaulate the condition of your car`s paint. Are there swirl marks that you want to get rid of? Does the paint feel smooth, or can you feel imperfections as you run your hand across it? You might want to consider an abrasive polish prior to application of any of the Zaino products. Something such as a Poorboys SSR polish or Menzerna would be good for this application. Also, before you do anything, make sure you clay that thing.

As far as the order of the Zaino...

I`d skip the Z5 if you use a nice polish as mentioned above.

(Klasse AIO would be excellent after polishing, before Zaino)

Start with either Z1 or ZFX

Z2 X as many as you`d like.

Maintain shine with the Zaino Gloss Enhancer spray, and voila.

You should always end with Z2 rather than Z5, as Z2 has greater reflective properties than Z5.

If you were feelin real frisky, you could top it all off with some Souveran, but leaving it with the Z2 would be just fine as well.

Use microfiber pads and buffing towels.

By the way, welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

imported_memnuts
02-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Welcome to Autopia. :wavey

I can diagnosis your problem just by viewing your plan of using Zaino.

Lack of Prep. :(

Download DavidB`s ebook, read and learn the necessary steps on preparation of your finish. This is especially important on all black vehicles. This is also important for any LSP.

If you do not emphasis prep and achieve the look you want before finishing with a protectant, you will never discover the real beauty in that paint you have even Ford ;).

There are no shortcuts in bottles, cans or jars.

With that stated and you finish the paint rejuveniation with the Zaino, you will be overwhelmed with the depth, wetness, gloss, reflectivity that your black paint has to offer.

It will look like it just came out the paint booth. :xyxthumbs

MercuryMarauder
02-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Thank you very much SunShine, paint is smooth with no

swirls thank god...... thanks again for the detailed steps...

LarryM
02-28-2005, 07:15 PM
My plan of attack once the warm weather comes around is

1) Wash

2) Clay

3) PBs SSR line of polishes (2.5 and 1)

4) 50/50 alky water to clean off any residue

5) Klasse AIO

6) Z2 pro with ZFX

7) Z6

8) another coat of Z2 pro with zfx

9) Z6

10) sit back and enjoy the shine

MercuryMarauder
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Sitting is the only thing you will be able to do

after all that :) Nice tips thanks.....

LarryM
02-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MercuryMarauder

Sitting is the only thing you will be able to do

after all that :) Nice tips thanks.....

:) after the weather we have been having, I am feeling real bad for my baby and I can`t wait to do it

MercuryMarauder
02-28-2005, 07:45 PM
No arguments there man.......

TGates
02-28-2005, 07:50 PM

No arguments there man.......

Nice car, by the way. I always thought the Marauder was kinda cool. Make sure you post pics when you`re done.

Scottwax
02-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Once the paint is properly prepped (definitely clay any Ford product if you`ve never done so), you can put down a base of Klasse AIO then Z2 or Z5.

You may want to experiment with a carnauba topper with black paint.

MercuryMarauder
02-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the car, ya need

the supercharger to wake her up :D As for a "topper/prep"

you would want to Clay, then throw on a turtle wax carnuba

for example. Followed by zaino steps?

LarryM
02-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I don`t believe too many people are fond of turtle wax....but I believe Scott meant that instead of Zaino you could try different carnubas since its a black car

Mochamanz1
02-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by LarryM

4) 50/50 alky water to clean off any residue

Just my 2 cents.... I usually use the IAS 50/50 solution to allow drying polish a little extra break-down, thereby increasing the smoothness of the finish a bit. Just spritz the drying pad/work area a bit and you are getting the most out of your polish,IMO.:xyxthumbs

TGates
02-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the car, ya need

the supercharger to wake her up :D As for a "topper/prep"

you would want to Clay, then throw on a turtle wax carnuba

for example. Followed by zaino steps?

The pure carnauba topper would be applied as the very last step as an LSP (or last step product) after you had the desired level of shine and layers of Z2 on your car. Some feel the Z2 leaves the car looking a bit artificial, with an unnatural, "plasticky" sheen. If you like the look, then leave it. If not, adding a coat of pure carnauba wax (P21S, Natty`s, Souveran, S100, etc) would give the paint a much deeper, wet look. Of course, once you went with the carnauba topper, you wouldn`t be able to go back to the Z2 without stripping the carnauba off first.

Jinba ittai
02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I`ve been using Zaino religiously on my 2001 Miata since it was new. www.zainobros.com is chock full of info if you haven`t checked it out already.

For the Miata I clayed the car, washed with Dawn, applied Z1 (or ZFX) and then alternating coats of Z2 and Z5. Usually I just use Z2. IMO it`s important to spray on some Z6 before and after. Keeps the surface clean and you`ll find that it helps keep dust off the car as well. The Z6 application is important for after the final coat.

I loved the way it made my Miata`s red paint shine. People are always saying "What a shiny red car you have!". Nice thing is too is that after a fresh coat of Zaino bugs were easy to clean off.

Once you get the initial coat on Zaino is easy to maintain. I single thin coat is all you need and it`s very easy to put on and take off. The trick (very important!) is not to use too much!. If you put on too much it won`t come off easily and streak. Less is more with Zaino.:xyxthumbs

Good luck and have fun. :)