PDA

View Full Version : question about 3m hand glaze

opass
02-28-2005, 05:51 PM
My cars paint are in new/like new condition with smooth finish. Can I apply 3M hand glaze first and top with LSP, Klasse SG? Can they work together? Thanks!

Accumulator
02-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Nah, that combo wouldn`t work too well. The KSG relies on an oil-free surface (for its bonding) and the IHG leaves exactly the opposite.

Just top your IHG with a carnauba-based LSP instead and you should be fine. The carnauba will bond to the IHG and will "lock it in".

opass
02-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

The KSG relies on an oil-free surface (for its bonding) and the IHG leaves exactly the opposite.

What about using Sonus SFX 1, 2 & 3 polish and LSP with KSG?

SVR
03-01-2005, 04:13 AM
3M IHG I can`t stand anymore. VM is so much better and so is Farecla Black Top.

tinman
03-01-2005, 09:28 AM
how about KSG, IHG, S100. Are there still bonding isues?

Accumulator
03-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by opass

What about using Sonus SFX 1, 2 & 3 polish and LSP with KSG?

Sorry, I dunno from Sonus` stuff :o

Originally posted by tinman

how about KSG, IHG, S100. Are there still bonding isues?

I`d expect the solvents in IHG to degrade the KSG.

tinman
03-01-2005, 10:13 PM
ok thanks. one more thing, I used to top my KSG with #26 paste. I`ve read that #26 has no cleaners then how come my pad is getting dirty?

Accumulator
03-02-2005, 12:17 PM
tinman- You must`ve got some contamination on/in the KSG. Most *anything* that contains solvents (including the solvent known as "water" :D ) will effect some cleaning, and that`s all you`re seeing. It`s a quantum leap from removing dirt from the KSG and removing the KSG from the paint, so don`t worry.

This is why I *gently* clay any time I`m gonna add any LSP. If that dirt stayed on there, you`d seal it in, which isn`t the greatest thing for your vehicles` appearance. Might even cause marring if it`s *abrasive* dirt, and most dirt is.

tinman
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
oh im sorry bout my last post. I was referring to #26`s pad getting dirty when I`m using it in not so perfect vehicles. I`ve got no problems when using it as a topper on freshly detailed rides.

Accumulator
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
tinman- That`s OK, I`d still say the same thing. If you`re gonna put a LSP on something that`s been driven since the last detail, I`d always do some degree of claying.

Is sorta :eek: how the mild solvents in something like #26 still do a little cleaning though, huh?

opass
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Just top your IHG with a carnauba-based LSP instead and you should be fine. The carnauba will bond to the IHG and will "lock it in".

Does IHG require any cure time before the carnauba wax such as Souveran, Natty or P21s?

Accumulator
03-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by opass

Does IHG require any cure time before the carnauba wax such as Souveran, Natty or P21s?

Not that I ever noticed. As best I can tell, once the solvents "flash off" it`s as stable as it`s gonna get. FWIW I just used IHG on a repainted area the other day and was reminded how much I prefer Meg`s #5 for this...

wannafbody
03-07-2005, 12:08 PM
i`d have to agree that any product with water or oil will clean to some extent-even wiping a cloth on a surface can have a cleaning affect-why some people make such an issue about incidental cleaning ability is beyond me-its the same people who think 30 coats of X super polymer makes their ride look so much better :rolleyes: