PDA

View Full Version : eliot ness/ pc 7336 counterweights

bigsled
02-28-2005, 08:11 AM
hello, you responded to my question about pc pads on friday, the excel plate/ pad kit comes with a 5 " backing plate ( the link you gave me) but the pc 6" 7336 at lowes, comes with a 6" counterweight. dont i need 6" plates and pads for this machine?

same size plate and pad as the machine?? thank you

Eliot Ness
02-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by bigsled

........dont i need 6" plates and pads for this machine?

same size plate and pad as the machine?? thank you

No, the counterweight doesn`t make that much difference. Most people use these with a 6" counterweight w/o any problems:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3330

If you want to experiment and order a 5" counterweight they are pretty cheap, Excel sells them for $2.00:

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37933

stevet
02-28-2005, 08:29 AM
I`m not Elliot but no you don`t need a 6 inch plate with the PC 7336. A five inch plate and 6 - 6.5 inch pads work great with the 6 inch counter weight that comes with the PC 7336. It`s the set up I use and like the best.

RedondoV6
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Same here .. I have both weights and I just use the 6" weight all the time, with whatever pads and backing plates I am using.

bigsled
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
i am just starting detailing so please excuse my stupidity but, shouldnt the backing plate support the pad by being the same size, if you have a smaller plate than the pad it just seems like the pad on the outer edges wouldnt be effective ??

Eliot Ness
02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Not a stupid question unless you don`t ask it. You don`t want the backing plate the same size as the pad for a couple of reasons. If the backing plate extends past the Velcro backing on the pad it will cut into it over time. Also you usually want some pad to extend beyond the edge of backing plate to lessen the chance of the plate coming into contact with your finish. The pads are designed so contact on the outer edges is not really a problem.

Most of the 6-7" pads are designed for a 5" backing plate, while some of the larger ones can use a 6` plate. If in doubt check with the vendor where you`re buying the pads. The Excel (Propel) pads are designed for a 5" plate.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Normal situations should require a 5 BP match up with a 5" CW. Likewise with a 6+6. There has to be compensation when using larger pads, therefore the advent of the 6" CW. Anything above 7" and I wouldnt hesitate to go with a 6" CW and BP. Also heaviers pads or wetsanding may find the 6" CW advantageous, theres many situations you COULD encounter, where a 6" CW would be better, its there for the offering.