PDA

View Full Version : Could this be wrong (Change up in QEW method)?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MorBid
02-27-2005, 05:54 PM
K, I`ve been using QEW since last fall w/the two bucket method. One 2 gal w/QEW and the other a 5 Gal with just water as a toss bucket for the wash mitts.

Today I tried something different.

QEW and water in a two gallon sprayer and just a 2 gallon bucket for washing out the mitt.

So essentially I`m soaking a panel w/qew, then running a barley wet sheepskin mitt across it, and drying w/two mf towels.

ne1 see a probelm with this? I did it today in the garage under halogen lighting and did not notice and marring.

Scottwax
02-28-2005, 12:02 AM
If it works for you, go for it. All these new methods though are getting away from the `quick and easy` part.

MorBid
02-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Scottwax -- The Mac Daddy of QEW. Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I think it works better for me when soaking the panel with the sprayer.

I should`ve mention that I only did the Back end, doors, quarter panels, and fenders this way and mostly because of the heavy "salt dust" that builds up on these spots.

I really like to get that as much of that stuff off the car as possible before running anything accross it.

I had washed the car the day before (testing my new pressure washer) so there was not that much.

imported_fireberd350
02-28-2005, 08:57 AM
I think GRSSTilez will chime in here, he`s been using a chemical sprayer too.

I think I may go get myself a sprayer, seems like a great idea!

Bill D
02-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by MorBid

I should`ve mention that I only did the Back end, doors, quarter panels, and fenders this way and mostly because of the heavy "salt dust" that builds up on these spots.

I really like to get that as much of that stuff off the car as possible before running anything accross it.

For situations like this I think the sprayer and the regular bucket of QEW mix is safest: more lubrication than just one of these alone.

SK2003TypeS
02-28-2005, 09:13 AM
I use a garden sprayer to presoak heavier areas (especially with salts). I still use the two bucket method. I just feel more comfortable with the presoak.

Scottwax
02-28-2005, 07:46 PM
An ounce of QD added to the mix also helps.

stilez
02-28-2005, 07:59 PM
I add the ounce of QD to the mix and use the sprayer with a light dilution of QEW in the sprayer.

The main reason I do this is because CT has lot of salt/dirt/sand on the roads now being winter. Grime cakes easily and its pretty much a sure shot you will rub it across the surface.

Not having access to a hose, this method is key :).

MorBid
02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

Not having access to a hose, this method is key :).

I don`t add any QD but your right on track with what I`m talking about.

I don`t have access to a hose either at the Town Home where I live.

However I got sick of waiting in queue at the laser wash (even to just to use the bays) so I broke down and brought and Karcher Pressure washer.

General Lee
02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by MorBid

I don`t have access to a hose either at the Town Home where I live.

However I got sick of waiting in queue at the laser wash (even to just to use the bays) so I broke down and brought and Karcher Pressure washer.

If you don`t have a hose, how do you operate your pressure washer?

GrussGott
02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
... it worked for me too. This inspired me to compare it to Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, but nobody seems interested in the comparison. I was interested because QEW is MUCH cheaper than S&W so if it works the same then maybe S&W isn`t such a good value. :hide:

I exchanged a few emails with a Poorboy guy and, not surprisingly, he wasn`t too interested in making the comparison. On the one hand I can understand, but on the other I wonder if he`s afraid of the comparison.

I mean if you`re convinced your product is superior, why not say so and why? However most people just point out that QEW isn`t meant for that type of cleaning ... blah, blah, blah. :rolleyes:

I use lots of things for detailing that weren`t meant for detailing! :xyxthumbs

Woob
02-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Gruss I admit I`m a member @ DC, but as Steve said, they are different products. How can you compare a regular Florida Orange to a Blood orange (if that makes sense)? Either way find something that works well for you! If I had it my way (tons of cash lots of time to punch in orders laugh) I would grab gallons of either QEW or S&W :D

Bill D
03-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Here was an interesting comparison of the two used in a spray bottle. http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43764&highlight=qew+in+spray+bottle

MorBid
03-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by General Lee

If you don`t have a hose, how do you operate your pressure washer?

Two 5 gallon buckets of fresh water and cheapo transfer pump from Sears.

That`s enough to hose off the car (pre-rinse) then rinse everything down after washing. I pull the car back in the garage and dry w/a big blue MF afterwards.

Unattached/Unfinished garage is toasty warm with the 170,000 BTU Kerosene forced air heater I brought from Lowes for $238.00. In fact it gets too toasty. Glad it has a thermostat which I can set to cycle the thing on and off.

I`ve got two 12.5 gallon water tanks coming to replace the buckets so I can get the undercarriage in.

imported_robman
03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
GrussGott, It looks like Morbid is using the sprayer to presoak not as a replacement to S&W. I`m working on a comparison too on swirl free panel of my blue altima. But the early findings are that even at double strength, I dont feel the same lubricity that I do with S&W.

I primarily use S&W now. It works better for me to clean a well maintained surface. It gives me more time to work on windows and other things. As far as cost goes, I use b/w 2-4 ounes to do my entire xTerra including the wheels. If the car is really dirty (very rare but happened last week) I`ll bust out the QEW and use a 1 bucket "easy" method.

Aloha,

Robert