PDA

View Full Version : Need Help In Proper Prepping Of My Truck

gassvcman
02-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Hello, I am a newbie to detailing and am wondering about the proper prepping of my vehicle, and what products I will need to purchase either at a local shop or online.

I have a 01 Toyota Turndra SR5 4x4 pickup Truck. It is a daily driver, but sits outside all the time. I use a company vehicle that I drive back and forth from work.

The paint condition is is still very good I believe. The color is a dark burgundy color. the toyota name for the paint is called red pearl. very dark and rich color.

I have spent alot of money within the last year or so on product. I have purchased Zaino, and have a PC 7424 Polisher.

I just recently purchased the Sonus Das Polishing Kit from Autopia. When I bought the Zaino last year, I don`t think I did the proper prep work, and wasn`t very satisified with the results.

That is why I am asking for your opinion as far as what to use for a complete detail. I was spending alot of money getting my cars detailed, and for the most part wasn`t very happy with that.

I have real alot on these forums, but seem to get lost in all the different array of products mentioned, and etc. I have reviewed David B`s C.D. that came with the Sonus Pad Kit.

So without further ado here is the list of items I would like help with a complete detail for a Newbie. Their is just too much product out their that I am not familiar with.

I want to do all the work myself

I`ll tell you what, I just spent over $150.00 online this week in just wheel cleaners. Bought from eastwood and heavy metal, and now I come across Adams website, was tempted to buy from them some product, that is why I am asking help, My wife is getting quite upset about all the money I am spending on this.

1. Paint Condition: Has some minor scratches, and also some chip marks. If I can`t get those out myself I will have a local body shop do it later on in the future. The door was hit with a egg that somebody through at it and damaged it. But all in all the paint is in good condition except in some spots.

To protect my paint and give it a great look what products would you reccommend and what would the best prep work be to achieve the results that I have seen in the gallery here. The truck does sit outside all the time, I have alot of trees around my house as well. So would like the best protectant.

2. I have Mickey Thompson Classic II Beadlock Wheels. They are aluminum, and they are wrapped around with Goodyear 35" MTR`s tires. What is the best way to keeps these tires and wheels looking their best. They stay on the truck at all time, and I live in winter conditions where they use salt and brine to treat the roads.

3. Engine Detail, I never really thought about an engine detail until I visited this site. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and what products to use,

4. My truck also has a 6" lift kit on it and would like to know what I can use to clean the undercarriage and what sort of spray I can use on the leaf springs, axles, pumpkins, to avoid the orangey type rust color. I haven`t been able to find anything on this site to tell me how to do that. I would like it to be black again.

5. Interior Cleaning. Shampoos And Dash protectants.

I hope this isn`t to much. Just trying to save money where I am not buying way to much different items.

ZaneO
02-27-2005, 02:56 PM
1. You need some good polishes to go with your PC. I use Menzerna and Poorboy`s. Zaino has the best durability, everything else is personal preference.

2. If they are bare aluminum, you can use a good metal polish like Flitz, Mother`s, etc. Keep the tires clean and use a good water-based dressing. I like Zaino Z16 and Meguiar`s Natural Shine.

3. Do a search...lots of information. Just use common sense around electrical parts.

4. Use a good cleaner like P21s Total Auto Wash with different brushes and mitts to get it cleaned up well. Then you might be interested in something like Griot`s Undercarriage Spray.

5. I like 303 Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, along with Zaino leather products. 303 also has a great rubber, vinyl, and plastic protectant.

Most all of those products can be found at www.premiumautocare.com

Ed Hartman
02-27-2005, 03:16 PM
You have to polish the truck out if you want the best look Zaino has to offer