PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner wax question

jfox03cobra
02-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Hello, I`m new to this site and just had a question about "cleaner" wax. What exactly is a cleaner wax and when should it be used compared to other waxes, like pure carnuba or polymer waxes?

I`m new to detailing and just recently bought a PC (from lowes), edge pads, and some ssr 2.5, 1, and clearkote VM and carnuba. Sorry if this has been explained somewhere, I searched but didn`t find a good answer.

White95Max
02-27-2005, 12:04 AM
A cleaner wax is basically two products in one: A paint cleaner, and a wax.

You use a cleaner wax when you prefer a one-step product to get both jobs done at once.

Sealants and pure waxes can be layered, while a cleaner wax cannot. It will clean off previous layers. So anything applied after the first layer of products must be a product with no cleaning abilities, if multiple layers are desired.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Some cleaner waxes, like Zymol, have a light abrasive in it, while others like Megs, are chemical. Paul is correct in his analysis about them being an "all in one" type product, not to be confused with Klasse AIO.

Sealants like Blackfire, UPP, and SG, as well as other polymer/acrylic products have the ability to lay on top of each other, and bond to previous product applications. Its my opinion waxes are not as capable of doing this, and end up actually "floating" on top of previously applied applications. Wax products deteriorate much faster than polymers.

Sorry Paul, I have to disagree with you slightly on this ONE THING!

The beauty of Autopia is there are so many opinions and such little consensus!!

White95Max
02-27-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Sealants like Blackfire, UPP, and SG, as well as other polymer/acrylic products have the ability to lay on top of each other, and bond to previous product applications. Its my opinion waxes are not as capable of doing this, and end up actually "floating" on top of previously applied applications. Wax products deteriorate much faster than polymers.

Sorry Paul, I have to disagree with you slightly on this ONE THING!

The beauty of Autopia is there are so many opinions and such little consensus!!

So...the subsequent wax LAYERS will "float" on top on one another. ;) :wavey

JustinR32
02-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Cleaner waxes definitely have their place in the pantheon of products, even at an Autopian level. Some of the most respected products here have cleaning ability.

What you will learn is that once you have the paint the way it is supposed to be, the work turns from correcting the finish to maintaining the finish. Your work turns to preventing swirls and spiderwebs, and keeping your paint and finish mar-free.

The most common use for a cleaner wax is to maintain appearance throughout the season without multiple steps. It will remove minor contaminants but not address paint defects, while putting down a layer of protection.

Cleaner waxes are not a substitute for the PC, 5 steps, and elbow grease, but they will help you extend the time between those sessions.

Don`t confuse them with waxes that have some cleaning ability, noticeably much of the Meguiar`s line; Gold Class, NXT, Medallion, #20... this is part of a corporate belief that a little cleaning ability improves the results. It is a perfectly good philosophy that works for some users and not for others; both beliefs work quite well when implemented properly. A true cleaner wax is labelled "Cleaner Wax". Waxes with cleaning ability only work well on prepared surfaces, they don`t clean enough to remove average oxidation and surface contaminants.

Many of us prefer 100% non-cleaning waxes and sealants. I try to use them myself as much as possible on my vanity car, which is garage kept, washed every other day, and waxed frequently. For my other cars, a once a year 5 step with monthly cleaner wax is the way I go.

My favorite cleaner wax is ColorX, followed by the regular Meg`s Cleaner wax, Mother`s Cal Gold, and Meg`s #6.

Tom

jfox03cobra
02-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Ok, gotcha:up . That makes sense. How difficult are polymer products/sealants to apply. Waxes are pretty east. I see why everyone says this site makes them spend money!!

I was planning on using clearkote VM and then their carnuba wax. If I put more than 1 layer on I won`t drive fast so my wax won`t fly off my car haha j/k. Thanks for all the info! :2thumbs:

White95Max
02-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Polymer sealants are just as easy as waxes to apply and remove. 4* UPP is very easy, and so is Wolfgang sealant.

And you can definitely count on spending a good deal of money on detailing stuff now that you`ve joined Autopia! :)

lbls1
02-27-2005, 01:46 AM
"Real" Zymol waxes do not contain cleaners. Their waxes contain one of the highest (if not the highest) content of carnauba available on the market. Zymol that is sold in retail stores, however, will say that they are cleaner waxes, and usually will be contained in light blue bottles, and can retail between 12 to 20 dollars. Those cheap Zymol labelled products will also mention that they are products of Turtle Wax. The authentic Zymols, which typically are not available over the counter, still references the original company, which is based in Connecticut (didn`t know this state was that tough to spell).

Back to the topic: I used to hold cleaner waxes in contempt, because they have limited capabilities in producing an optimal finish. I have found though, that they are good as a go between product before adding a pure wax. Cleaner waxes also do an admirable job in performing light cleaning to your paint. It is great as a handy product for light cleaning of spots, or if you are in a pinch for a polish, and want to do a clean and smoothening before adding wax. IMO Mother`s cleaner wax is an ideal product for a one step clean-wax (its more of a polish though) application.

JustinR32
02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by lbls1

Back to the topic: I used to hold cleaner waxes in contempt, because they have limited capabilities in producing an optimal finish. I have found though, that they are good as a go between product before adding a pure wax. Cleaner waxes also do an admirable job in performing light cleaning to your paint. It is great as a handy product for light cleaning of spots, or if you are in a pinch for a polish, and want to do a clean and smoothening before adding wax. IMO Mother`s cleaner wax is an ideal product for a one step clean-wax (its more of a polish though) application.

Agreed, I followed much the same path. I think it depends a lot on how optimal a finish you are looking for. Sometimes it`s not practical nor desired to go show car with the grocery getter.

Tom

togwt
02-27-2005, 11:34 AM
"So...the subsequent wax LAYERS will "float" on top on one another."

That the technical term (floats) in laymans terms;)surface tension is what initially helps wax (and polymers) bond to a paint surface :LOLOL

JonM

Accumulator
02-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by jfox03cobra

I was planning on using clearkote VM and then their carnuba wax.

Welcome to Autopia!

FWIW, I consider VM to be a type of "cleaner wax", or at least that`s how I use it. But don`t let that put you off it, it`s very good stuff.