PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Topper for FMJ?

FlyingDog
02-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Looking for your thoughts --- I currently have AIO plus FMJ x2 on my `05 metalic silver vette. Wondering if topping the FMJ with a carnauba would add anything to the look ...

While doing some reading I re-read the following passage from "The Perfect Shine": (sorry for the length, but I`ll quote in it`s entirety)

"The key ingredients are Klasse All-In-One and Pinnacle (or P21S) Carnauba wax. The reason these two products work together, where others do not, is actually pretty simple. Klasse is an acrylic resin coating. It`s not a petroleum- or water-based product. It`s an acrylic. When it dries, it dries hard. Most synthetic sealants are polymers based on the element silicone.

To my knowledge, all polymer sealants are based on an emulsion system containing petroleum distillates. As a result, even the mildest petroleum distillates remove polymer sealants. Most, if not all polymer sealants remove previous coats with each new coat applied.

Likewise, carnauba waxes contain petroleum distillates. In waxes, petroleum distillates are used to soften the carnauba, which is rock hard in its raw form, so it can be blended into a paste or cream. The Pinnacle and P21S Carnauba wax formula uses a highly refined petroleum distillate, much the same as that used in the manufacture of cosmetics (i.e., lipstick wax). The solvent content in Pinnacle and P21S Carnauba wax does not affect the cured Klasse sealant. By conducting side-by-side durability tests, I have proven Klasse remains solidly intact."

Since FMJ is "an advanced, water-based, polymer paint protectant incorporating the latest in German super-polymer technology", will FMJ (being water-based) not work as well as AIO alone or AIO + SG when topped with a carnauba?

The carnaubas I currently have available are p21s, #16 and paste glaz ...

What do ya think? I`d love to hear some thoughts & again, sorry for the length.

:help:

Ed Hartman
02-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Here is a quote from properautocare.com

Note to perfectionists: Being a fanatic, I couldn`t resist the temptation to guild the Lily by putting a coat of carnauba wax over FMJ. I tried both Pinnacle Souveran and P21S Pure Carnauba Paste Wax. Both dulled the shine. Since FMJ can be layered (it will bond to itself), my advice is not to put any other wax or protectant on top of it. If you feel the need for improvement, apply another "jacket" of FMJ.

FlyingDog
02-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Ed: I did see that comment on CMA`s site, but I was wondering whether anyone else has topped their FMJ (with any luck). The FMJ by itself looks pretty good & is very slick, but you know how it is --- always looking for that additional something.

Thanks.

l33
02-26-2005, 07:51 PM
I`ve tried with several products and they haven`t improved the look, only dulled it slightly.

Usually i put 3 coats of FMJ on for the best look on my cars.

termigator
02-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Ed Hartman

Here is a quote from properautocare.com

Note to perfectionists: Being a fanatic, I couldn`t resist the temptation to guild the Lily by putting a coat of carnauba wax over FMJ. I tried both Pinnacle Souveran and P21S Pure Carnauba Paste Wax. Both dulled the shine. Since FMJ can be layered (it will bond to itself), my advice is not to put any other wax or protectant on top of it. If you feel the need for improvement, apply another "jacket" of FMJ.

I`ve heard FMJ is super shiny, but I was wondering, does it have the same so-called "sterile" shine like other polymer sealants? Also, does FMJ add depth like carnaubas?

FlyingDog
02-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by termigator

I`ve heard FMJ is super shiny, but I was wondering, does it have the same so-called "sterile" shine like other polymer sealants? Also, does FMJ add depth like carnaubas?

i currently have aio + sg x2 on my off-white lx470 and aio + fmj x2 on my silver vette with both qd`ed with sonus spritz ... the sg looks more shiny than the fmj while the surface of the fmj is noticably slicker. regarding a sterile look or relatively deeper look, i personally don`t think either looks sterile.

regarding application --- certainly the fmj goes on & buffs off very easy ... as easy as anything i`ve used including p21s.

DrSauekraut
02-26-2005, 09:57 PM
FMJ x 2 is best . . . no carnauba needed :xyxthumbs

03COBRA
02-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Don`t carnauba FMJ, I tried it today with no success. I did one fender with it and was dissapointed. FMJ is good enough for me!!