PDA

View Full Version : Light Scratches in Hard Plastic

TW85 HHI
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
The search function is not working for me right now (keeps timing out) and I haven`t seen a discussion on this, so I apologize if it has been posted before.

The glove boxes in my car and my mom`s car have a few light scratches. While riding as passenger in my mom`s car, I was wondering if using the PC with a light polish (SSR2?) would remove the scratches or at least reduce them without damaging the surrounding plastic. I have tried plastic polishes without any luck. Any thoughts on this or suggestions on how to remove/reduce the scratches?

4Runner`s glove box:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/DashScratch4Runner.jpg

Solara`s glove box (very light scratch, almost like a scuff):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/TW85/DashScratch.jpg

forrest@mothers
02-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Since they are textured plastic surfaces, using any sort of a polish will alter the texture, making it stand out more.

Would a new glove box door be cheaper and easier?

mtodde
02-26-2005, 06:43 PM
I assume you`ve tried your plastic polishes with no luck? You`ve got to have one or two of those, LOL.

I would try SSR 1 before SSR 2, maybe even Pro Polish before that but to be honest I think P21S metal polish may be the best thing I`ve tried on plastics. Try it in an inconspicuous place first - like the inside of your glove box. I`d send you some, but it is in a tube.

How`d you scratch the Solara glove box BTW? I think that must be its first blemish.

TW85 HHI
02-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I think it is from moving in August. I had a few lamps and heavy bronze mini statues riding on the passenger floor throughout the move.

I tried PlastX without luck. That product has never worked for me on any plastic, even on discoloration and oxidation.

forrest,

The scratches do not bother me enough to replace the glove box doors (especially on my mom`s car) but if I would like to find a way to reduce the scratches.

SVR
02-28-2005, 06:03 AM
I was going to suggest Poorboys Pro Polish but got beaten to it

Ever thought Clearkote chocolate moose and or p21 finish restorer

Choc moose is brilliant for getting the near impossible scratches out

SSR 1 may be another angle to take but leave that until trying the above products

Once the scratch is removed or well hidden, coat with your favourite vinyl protectant, 303, Optimum, vinylex etc

Jinba ittai
02-28-2005, 04:30 PM
My Miata`s black interior scratches if you breath too hard on it. I`m in the process now of searching for some sort of touch up paint. I have the interior paint code so I`ll probably have to get it custom mixed.

What I`ve done for minor scratches in a black interior is use shoe polish. It works rather well. You use multiple coats and then coat lightly with 303. Perhaps you could find some shoe polish that would match?

I`ve tried touching up with a magic marker but unfortunately it`s a different shade of black. Might work for you though. You touch up and then rub it in before it dries completely. Try with water-based marker first in case it doesn`t work.

wannafbody
02-28-2005, 05:44 PM
i wonder if NXT tech wax would fill in the scratches? works on paint

Jinba ittai
02-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I just bought some NXT to use on my Element so I don`t know about it, but usually wax and plastic doesn`t mix too well.

Shoe polish fills in the scratches nicely but it`s covering things up so has to be reapplied from time to time.

I got a nasty scratch once on top of my windshield where the visor scratched it. I bought some Pep Boys vinyl paint and touched it up, rubbed it in carefully and then put 303 on. Looked great. It helped that the plastic was textured so it blended in. Black is easy to work with. If you have tan, grey or blue it can get dicey.

mdsmithers
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I`ve got these on the back of my Sienna, some soft plastics in the Toyota products. Also got some when I moved the second row seat from side to center on the floor, day one. :(

splattj
03-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I`ve used a butane mini-blowtorch to gingerly smooth out scratches in hard-textured plastic in my wife`s lancer. It can`t repair the texture but it makes the scratch MUCH less noticeable. I use it from as far away as I can and only until the raised section melts and curls back into the scratch. I smooth down any spots that remain raised with my finger and that`s usually all it takes. Obviously this is dangerous as you can melt too large a section of the plastic or even set it on fire if you are not careful. I`ll try to get a pic of the results Thursday when my wife isn`t on the opposite work schedule from me.