PDA

View Full Version : Wax VS Sealer? What do I use?

imported_Mighty HD
02-26-2005, 12:35 PM
I`ve got a beautiful truck I bought last year. I just broke 7000 miles finally :eek: . It`s basically a weekend toy. I usually wash it 2 days a week, sometimes each time that I drive it if bugs get on the paint.

When I first bought the truck I immediately clayed it, used Meguiars Professional Glaze, then I waxed it with Meguiars Professional Yellow Wax. I keep forgetting the #`s of these things. I usually wax the vehicles every other month--both the truck and my black car with the Yellow wax. I have thought about buying a Porter Cable buffer after I have read lots and lots of positive stuff about it.

I have also read that some people use a sealer, etc. What is the point of a sealer? Does it offer more protection than wax? Should I seal the paint and then wax with the Pro. Yellow wax?

Bottom line I want what`s best for the paint. I plan to drive the wheels off this truck and the car.

Also, can I apply wax with the PC buffer? Should I get a Makita buffer instead? Point me in the right direction. :xyxthumbs

lbls1
02-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I am an advocate for wax. It is a proven lsp for obtaining the best finish possible (given the right preparation). Sealants will last longer than a typical carnauba in lighter coatings. A sealant is especially useful if your car is exposed to the elements on a daily basis, as it will stand up to weather and frequent washes, on average, better than a typical wax.

With that said, you would be quite surprised at the durability of some other carnaubas. IMO p21s/s100, when applied correctly, will offer excellent results and durability. My daily driver still has its p21s waxed finish from late november-early December, and so far its been through 4 snow storms (it helps to keep the car clean).

You should compare notes, and most important, try out different products yourself in order to find the ideal lsp for you.

imported_Mighty HD
02-26-2005, 12:59 PM
The truck stays in the carport, It gets dusty, only is really exposed to the eastern exposure of the sun for maybe 3-5 hours a day. When it rains it gets a bit misted on--It`s a carport.

I use Turtle Wax Zip wax/wash stuff car wash from walmart. I`ve used this for years. I use the .97$ sponges as well. I buy them by the case. I use a new sponge each time I wash, and a new one for each vehicle. I start on the hood, roof and deck lid, then work my way down. That`s how I wash basically. LOTS of water too.

I`ll search and see what I can find on the p21s/s100 stuff....

Thanks again.

Ed Hartman
02-26-2005, 01:03 PM
I`m married, I work, have 3 kids, basketball games, volleyball, take out the trash and on and on. So I go sealant because my time is limited and just do not have time to wax as often as I would like

togwt
â€Â¢ Polymer Sealant- (provides durable protection)-A non-organic based wax formulated from polymer paints used to seal paint with a thin hard barrier. They are very durable and provide a very bright, but flat silvery shine. This type of product is a compromise as it does provide durability but lacks the properties of a Carnauba wax lacking both colour and depth, and because of a polymer`s inherent molecular structure it cannot mimic the properties of a Carnauba wax

â€Â¢ Carnauba Wax- (provides a sacrificial but renewable protection, but lacks durability)-A natural wax repellent, it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird droppings, it also provides Colour, Depth and Clarity that is without equal.

You don`t say where you are based so temp may / may not be an issue for you

â€Â¢ Melting Point (Fracture/evaporation temperatures): Polymers 350oF, Silicone oil 350oF, Mineral oils 200oF, Synthetic blends (Carnauba wax / polymers) 200oF, Carnauba wax 180oF, and Beeâ€â„¢s wax 130oF, in actual practice the high temperatures frequently encountered by vehicles from the radiation causes wax compounds to melt, for example, a painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 85oF in direct sunlight, will obtain a temperature of 195 degrees or more. It should be noted that there is a range of temperatures at which melting begins and that the `melting point` is the end point of that range

JonM

lbls1
It all depends on what you are expecting and how much you want your paint to improve. In theory, you could use anything you want, but of course, "you get what you pay for and put in."

You are in a prime position right now to explore the many options available in obtaining the best result from your paint. Take your time, ask questions, and most importantly, experiment.

imported_Mighty HD
02-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Well I`m in Central Florida - Tampa/Orlando area. It gets hotter than balls here in the summer. Very high humidity, lots of rain in the spring/summer.

Bottom line, I want the best protection from the elements, with the best shine, and something that lasts. So far the #26 yellow wax has done all the above. Ive read that I can get the same results, but with better shine. I think the shine is amazing on my truck after I used the #7 Glaze, and the #26 wax. #7 is easy to put on, a ***** to get off. #26 goes on decent if you keep the applicator damp, and comes off fairly easy with a MF towel.

There`s always that `what if` I can get something better.

I`m not too much into experimenting with the paint jobs....I`d hate to screw it up..lol

Mochamanz1
02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Mighty HD

I usually wash it 2 days a week, sometimes each time that I drive it if bugs get on the paint.

:xyxthumbs

It sounds like the durability of a sealant is not an issue with your washing habits, So a good wax should be perfect for you IMO. But I am partial to sealants which can be incredibly reflective, slick and almost carnauba-like in appearance. Since you wash so frequently, given the nature of Carnauba Wax, you must also wax frequently....(devils advocate) When you get your PC, maybe you might Polish your truck, and try some Z2pro,or FMJ, or AIO-SG and see how you like the look. You can always apply Wax over the sealant, and you still have the extra protection of the Sealant.:2thumbs:

Scottwax
02-26-2005, 02:56 PM
I prefer the appearance of carnaubas but the durability of sealants is also nice. A good compromise is Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba. The look is similar to Meguiars #26 High Tech Yellow wax but is more durable.

JeffM
02-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Im on the east coast of florida.

I have some humble suggestions:

1: Stop using a sponge to wash your vehicles, search for the 2 bucket method. Using cheapo wash soap could remove the wax you put on. Sometihng about the PH, its beyond me, i just buy what people say is good. Either NXT or Gold Class soap is excellent.

2: Clay your vehicle, auto stores have either Mothers clay or Blue Magic, easy as pie to do. I would do this about 1 or 2 times a year.

3: After clay, you may want to remove the swirls the sponge left, PC from Lowes is where to start. Then a pad kit from an online vendor.

If you are happy with the condition of the paint, you could either get megs 1st step paint cleaner "Deep Crystal" or go internet and sometihng like AIO, ect.

Here in Florida i would really advise you to put on a sealant. NXT is really excellent for over the counter. Internet, the list is endless. Then you could throw a wax ontop of it for fun, and to experiment with looks. (Although i find NXT to be great all by itself.)

If you go with an internet sealant, skip the #7.

Ed Hartman
02-26-2005, 03:41 PM
If you look at the top of the board, click on "Reviews" and then click "sealants". There you can get an idea of what people like/dislike. Same with waxes. Then you can also use the "search" function at the top to investigate particular products. The only way to know for sure if a sealant works for you is to find one, buy it and test for yourself. Unless you are very skilled and experienced with a rotary, forget the Makita and go Porter Cable. Yes, you can apply wax with a PC.

imported_Mighty HD
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I have clayed it several times in the past year that I`ve owned the truck. I usually do both vehicles at the same time.

The truck has very minimal swirls using the sponges and terry towels to dry. I`ll take the advice from what I`ve searched and use the two bucket deal. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the help men. I`ll have to get some pics up so you don`t have to link to see them.

imported_Mighty HD
02-26-2005, 10:08 PM
I also forgot to ask how do I clean the wool wash mitt after I use it? Throw it in the washing machine through a load by itself?

I always heard of small dirt particles getting trapped in mitt`s and sponges, so thats why I use a new sponge each time I wash..