PDA

View Full Version : NEWB does detail

genes
02-25-2005, 10:55 PM
I ran some MEGS down one side of my very oxidized 85 truck. #82 followed by #16 just to see the effect. This was done to get a feel for my pc and using the new sponge style pads. I found it is quite easy and I was somewhat satisfied with the finish.

Perhaps being a machinist, and somewhat a perfectionist, I am not too satisfied with the finish because it doesn`t match the high gloss finish people post here on autopia.

None the less it drives me to a few questions;

1) I have seen some posts where people buff until a dry haze, some are still wet, before they stop-any preference?

2) what do you look for when using a product like #83, how about #80? Do you run the pc on 6 when you buff the Lsp?

3) I need a recommendation for tires (not the slick look please)

4) any recommendations for truck shells? thanks

dcswd
02-25-2005, 11:07 PM
1) I have seen some posts where people buff until a dry haze, some are still wet, before they stop-any preference?

With Meguiar`s polishes you want to stop BEFORE they become dry. You will get a better hang of it with experience, but buff untill there is very little product remaining. It is easier to remove when it is still a little wet as well. I hope I explained that well enough :D

2) what do you look for when using a product like #83, how about #80? Do you run the pc on 6 when you buff the Lsp?

What do you mean by what your looking for? After using something like #83, I would look to make sure there is no "hazing" on the paint, and that the swirls and oxidation are completely gone. If not, use the product on the same area again. Hazing can also be removed by "stepping down" to a less abrasive polish. Is this what you were asking?

I like to use the PC at 5+ for polishing and at 4 or under for the lsp. You are only going for a nice even coat with the lsp with no need for heavy work.

3) I need a recommendation for tires (not the slick look please)

One product that might be worth looking into is Adams V.R.T.

Hope this helps :D

Eliot Ness
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Everything dscwd said, plus here is a thread with pics on using DACP:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49110&highlight=dacp

And here is a thread on tire dressings that may give you some more ideas (my personal favorites are Poorboyâ€â„¢s BnB and Wolfgang Tire Gel):

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49386

genes
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
thanks fellas I appreciate it