PDA

View Full Version : Which is more aggressive?

Pages : [1] 2

termigator
02-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Which is more aggressive? 3M Medium Cut Rubbing Compound, or Menzerna Intensive Polish? I have some water spot etchings on my car and I already tried the 3M with an Orange pad. Didn`t seem to do anything. I have since purchased a yellow pad to try to get rid of the etchings. Wondering if the IP will be any better.

SK2003TypeS
02-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I think the 3M is more agressive than IP.

If you do a search on "abrasive" or "agressive", there are a few threads on the different levels. I don`t think a list was finalized, but they give you a good base ground to start with.

Eliot Ness
02-25-2005, 10:54 AM
For future reference, this thread has the most accurate list going so far:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36208

stevet
02-25-2005, 02:14 PM
3M Medium Cut is much more aggressive than IP. In fact 3M has several polishes more aggressive than IP that are less aggressive than Medium Cut. They rank like this

3M Medium Cut

3M Perfect It II Fine Cut RC

3M Perfect It III Rubbing Compound

3M Finesse It II Finishing Material Machine Polish

Menzerna IP

IP isn`t much more abrasive than Perfect it III Machine Glaze.

If you can`t correct your problem with Medium Cut than IP isn`t going to do it either.

termigator
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
IP isn`t much more abrasive than Perfect it III Machine Glaze.

If you can`t correct your problem with Medium Cut than IP isn`t going to do it either. [/B][/QUOTE]

I asked the same question at CMA and they suggest I make three passes at the etchings with the orange pad & IP. Should I go straight to the yellow pad & 3M?

imported_Axe
02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

For future reference, this thread has the most accurate list going so far:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36208

Not wantinng to highjack this thread but I noticed 1z Extra Paint Cleaner is not in this list, anyone care to suggest where it should be on the abrasive thread ?

stevet
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by termigator

I asked the same question at CMA and they suggest I make three passes at the etchings with the orange pad & IP. Should I go straight to the yellow pad & 3M? [/B]

3M Medium Cut on an orange pad is much more abrasive than IP and an orange pad. 3M Medium Cut on an orange pad is pretty aggressive. The next step up is a yellow cutting pad but Medium Cut and a cutting pad is more than I would use with a PC. Your etching probably needs a rotary to correct and even that might not do it. Sometimes you just have to live with it to preserve your clear coat.

Eliot Ness
02-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Axe

Not wantinng to highjack this thread but I noticed 1z Extra Paint Cleaner is not in this list, anyone care to suggest where it should be on the abrasive thread ?

They changed the name of 1Z Ultra PP to Extra PP, and it`s listed as a 7 on that chart (under the old name of 1Z Ultra PP).

Web Docta
02-25-2005, 04:25 PM
3M is discontinuing it`s Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound.... it is now being sold as Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound to comply with VOC regulations. The reason I know is that I bought some a couple of days ago. You may still find some old product on the shelves though.

termigator
02-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Sometimes you just have to live with it to preserve your clear coat. [/B][/QUOTE]

That`s exactly what I was hoping not to hear!:p

Accumulator
02-25-2005, 08:14 PM
termigator- Yeah, I sympathize with you. But when you consider that you can often clearly see how deep the etching is, but you *can`t* really see something like the .0003" that you can safely remove (over the *life* of your clearcoat), well, etching often *is* something you just have to live with.

One of the rare instances where a manufacturer actually discusses the safety of their product (clearcoat-wise) is AutoInt with their Paint Correction Creme. IIRC, it will remove most etching, but once you`ve used it for something like that you really don`t have much clear left to work with any more; I forget just how much clear it cuts off, but it`s a lot. And stuff like that is always rotary-only.

Bill D
02-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I`ve come across that product here and there over time. Another, probably even more severe one, is 3m Super Duty RC--that stuff is literally liquid sandpaper :nervous: You can see the abrasives in it. I don`t see too much clear left using something like this via rotary also.

jmsc
02-25-2005, 08:35 PM
on my 2002 Honda, I did 3 passes with my PC + Yellow Pad + Menzerna PG and it did not touch the spots. So I gave up. Like previously said, I will live with them until I trade my car in for a new 2006. But it certainly was worth the try.

wannafbody
02-25-2005, 10:34 PM
a body shop guy and painter i know told me that it isn`t worth the risk to remove water etching-smooth and fill would be a safer scenario

lbls1
02-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Any opinion on Sonus`s SFX system, in particular #2 and #3? I am venturing on them this year and a heads up would be good.