PDA

View Full Version : Confusion Over Detailing Terms

Pages : [1] 2

Anthony O.
02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
I have seen alot of flame wars starting here on Autopia over how some people use certain phrases or words. One case in point is the use of "QD", which is short for "Quick Detailer".

There are alot of products out there now, and coming out soon, that have QD qualities or likeness but are not a true QD. QD`s were first introduced as products designed for pre-waxed finishes and their primary use was to remove dust, smudges, fingerprints, etc.

They then started coming out with wax based QD`s that were not intended for stand-alone protection but rather advertised to "boost" the wax finish already applied to the cars paint.

Now we have products with the look of traditional QD`s but they can be used as stand-alone toppers yet many people still label them as "QD`s". Many in fact add words like "Super QD" or "QD on steroids", a term I have used to describe some of these new products, but I do not believe it is the users intention to knowingly mislead the detailing community into believing that these new products are true QD`s. Many of these new products do not have the cleaning abilities of traditional QD`s, hence the problem.

My whole point here is that Autopia seems to be, of late, a place where arguing over idiotic petty crap, like above, is taking center stage. It`s getting to the point where mentioning a new or improved product is an open invitation to being bashed or flamed. What`s going on Autopia?

In the case of QD`s, perhaps we need to work together to create a new name for this new generation of products (key words: work together) and then there will nol onger be any confusion?

End of rant,

Anthony

Spilchy
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
On the flip side, life must be good for all of us if arguing over the definition of QD is of paramount concern. ;) :D

Sounds like we can come up with 2 more acronyms to describe a QD.

1) the original old school QD which will stay the same. Maybe we can site some examples for reference.

new 2) wax based QD like NXT boost. Again, maybe we can site some more examples for reference.

new 3) "Super QD" or "QD on steroids" as Anthony puts it. What are some examples?

Once we can categorize these prodcuts then maybe we can come up with a couple of acronyms.

I think the best way to start is to simply list every "QD" you can think of REGARDLESS of category. There aren`t so many out there that this will get out of hand.

Once we have agreed that we listed all of them REGARDLESS of category, THEN we can get into CLASSIFYING them in the right category with the right acronym.

OR, we can forget this and say how ridiculous it is, but then we wouldn`t be Autopians! :p

RedondoV6
I not sure I have noticed what you are referring to, but I hear you `calling out` on a problem and then not really offering a solution.

What do you suggest we call, QD`s, LSP boosters and spray on LSP`s?

Bill D
Amen Anthony!

I don`t get it either. Arguing over detailing products???? :eek: But I can see how the "open season" on new product discussions could be a by-product over hyper sensitivity to spammers and shills. There`s a very, very low tolerance for that here.

Your idea to clarify and redefine products as seen necessary is a good one. When discussing products sometimes it`s also good to describe their characteristics (i.e. sprays like a QD but protects just as a sealant does) as specifically as possible. The extra description can go a long way and help curb initial confusion or misinterpretation. :bigups

RedondoV6
02-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

......a by-product over hyper sensitivity to spammers and shills.

I`m not hyper sensitive over spammers and shills .... I just don`t like em! :lol

JeffM
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
How about SEP-

Spray- Enhance- Protectant.

Or QP

Quick Protectant.

Spilchy
02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Here is my list to start REGARDLESS of category. Did I forget any?

Eagle One Wax As You Dry

Eagle One Wet Wipe N` Shine

Four Star Spray Wax Carnauba Quick Wipe Kit

Four Star Spray Wax Plus

Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer

Meguiarâ€â„¢s NXT Generation Speed Detailer

Meguiar`s Final Detail (pink liquid)

Meguiar`s Final Inspection #34

Meguiar`s Last Touch Spray Detailer

Meguiar`s NXT Generation Spray Wax

Meguiar`s NXT Speed Detailer

Meguiar`s Quik Detailer (the maroon bottle "Mist & Wipe")

Meguiar`s X-Press Liquid Wax (listed as a "wipe on wipe off")

Mothers FX Engineered Spray Wax

Mothers Reflections Advanced Spray Wax

Mothersâ„¢ California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer

Poorboyâ€â„¢s Spray & Gloss

Poorboy`s QD+ Quick Detailer

Sonüs Acrylic Glanz

Sonüs Carnauba Spritz

Sonus High Gloss Acrylic Spritz

Wurth Showroom Detailer

Wurth Zebra Finish

1z Lackfinish

3M Perfect-It Gloss Enhancer

Adams Detail Spray

BLACKFIRE Deep Gloss Spray

Clearkote Quickshine

Detailers Pride Spray Wax with Carnauba

Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl Instant Detail Spray

Griot`s Speed Shine

Luster Detailer

Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield

One Grand Show Off Quick Detailer

Pinnacle Crystal Mist Quick Detailer

Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz

Zaino Z6

Edit:

added Griot`s per Accumulator

added Adams Detail Spray per C-Man

added ZJ JIM 96`s suggestions

added Zaino per LarryM

added 1z Lackfinish per L33

Detailr75
02-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Jeez, no need to shout about it, Anthony!

KIDDING!

I totally agree this is a worthy goal. In fact I think the terminology problem is one of the biggest things holding back this activity and the industry that supports it. Even the very name "detailing" is sort of meaningless if not misleading. Not to mention the whole wax/sealant/topper/LSP concept, also called "polish" and "glaze" by some products and practitioners.

I think what`s needed is a summit conference (maybe in sunny Hawaii or San Diego!) The problem is, there are some sales-types who think a confused customer spends more money. But I think that`s a short-sighted and counter-productive attitude.

White95Max
02-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JBM

Or QP

Quick Protectant.

Good one! I like that.

Accumulator
02-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Spilchy- Add Griot`s Speed Shine to the list. Still a "traditional QD" but has a pretty high wax content.

Spilchy
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Spilchy- Add Griot`s Speed Shine to the list. Still a "traditional QD" but has a pretty high wax content.

A-ha! Griot`s! How did I guess you would chime in with Griot`s! ;) :up

Anyone have more suggestions on new categories so we can start to sort them out?

Or, is this going to go the way of the "level of abrasiveness scale" we attempted a billion times! This seems easier.

We`ll end up the European Union here. Multiple opinions with zero action. :p

C-Man
02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
How about adding Adams Detail Spray

wash-girl
02-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Meguiar`s has a few more for the list:

*Last Touch Spray Detailer

*Quik Detailer (the maroon bottle "Mist & Wipe")

*X-Press Liquid Wax (listed as a "wipe on wipe off" product, presumably fit for this category)

*NXT Speed Detailer (which appears to be a different product than the booster wax)

*And I think I`ve seen people refer to a product named "Final Detail," but I don`t see it on Meg`s site.

LarryM
02-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I don`t believe Zaino Z6 is on their for QD

Also lets not forget the Z8 (I think that`ll be the name) as a Quick Protectant or QP

benpocock
02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Anyone have more suggestions on new categories so we can start to sort them out?

Or, is this going to go the way of the "level of abrasiveness scale" we attempted a billion times! This seems easier.

What about (and feel free to shoot me down in flames for being a lame-o!)

QD - used to describe "traditional" quick detailing products. i.e. ones that remove dust and light soiling but don`t really add any protection/shine to the finish (Meguiars Quik Detailer comes to mind).

SGE - Shine/Gloss Enhancer. Used to describe those products that can be used either to remove dust and light soiling, or used after washing that add a boost to the shine/gloss (funnily enough) whilst doing so. (I`d class both Poorboy`s QD+ and Spray and Gloss as these).

LSPB - Last Step Product Booster - used to describe a product that needs to be used on a clean car to add an intermediate layer of protection between full details. Products such as NXT spray wax.

Just a suggestion. You don`t want to create too many categories as that just leads to even more confusion, however some product labelling doesn`t help either. For instance, PB QD+ finds itself in the SGE category even though it has QD on the label!

What do people think?!

Ben