PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first (paid) detail, do I have the right stuff?

jimmy
02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey guys!

I`ve been checking out this site for a while now and have learnt quite alot from the knowledgable people here. It reminds me of my favourite site TDIclub.com.

Anyways, I am doing my first paid detail for a friend that owns a 2000 Jetta. This guy knows nothing about car cleaning. Lets just say that he washes his car with over 20,000$ into it with a brush bought at canadian tire. This car is pretty much scratched up but i figured i wanted to try out my PC before he got it repainted.

Since I am new to this but have been cleaning my own car for years Id like to know what to do and if i have the right stuff. :nixweiss

Here`s my list of stuff:

Meguiars

Vinyl and rubber protectant

#2 fine cut cleaner

Gold Class endurance tire gel

speed glaze

Quick Detailer

#40 vinyl and rubber cleaner/ conditioner

DACY #83

Mothers:

Lether condition

Carnauba cleaner wax

metal polish

scratch remover

Turtlewax

Spray bug and tare remover

powerout carpet cleaner

powerout upholstery cleaner

superhard shell car wax

wet n black professional tire dressing

3m

handglaze 39007

smr for dark cars 39009

Others

nu finish

goo gone cleaner

simoniz ultra protectant

MISC

bottles of alcohol/h20, woolite/h20, vinegar/ h20

PC 7336 with 6" counterweight/backing plate

LC 6" yellow, black, white varible contact pads

2 washmits

lots of mf towels

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am a newbie still trying to use a PC :D. Any product recommendations that won`t hurt the bankbook? I am up in Canada!

Cheers,

Jake

:xyxthumbs :wavey :bow

My car freshly detailed (140k km, was badly swirled when we bought it)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jakestcroix/CIMG0497.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/jakestcroix/CIMG0499.jpg

The car I am going to detail

http://www.teamevolutionconcepts.com/Images/dkn04/104_0443.jpg

jimmy
02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
2 yellow , 1 black 1 white pad

Fury
02-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Im not a big guru or god or nething but to my knowledge i think you should get some serious products like klasse, menzerna(since u have a pc) and pb`s. AIO will definitely be a good base for any wax man. Just my .2 cents

the other pc
02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
You didn`t mention a wash shampoo. (I usually use Meg`s Gold Class)

#2 Fine Cut Cleaner isn`t meant to be used with the PC. Stick with the #83.

You mention "lots of towels". Is that "lots of microfiber towels"?

Some foam applicator pads would be useful.

PC.

Jesstzn
02-24-2005, 10:55 PM
With that being black start with the least agressive polish and see how it goes .. You don`t want to be going at it with DACP and a yellow pad only to find out your going to have to work your butt off getting out the DACP haze. Speaking from experience. Ude the DACP selectively on the scratches.

Black is a lot harder to deal with than the medium blue. If your going to use the 3M SMR just remember it has fillers and a cleaner wax may remove them.

Scottwax
02-24-2005, 11:45 PM
This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Don`t forget to dress the fenderwells.

2. You really need a `pure` wax option. You should be able to pick up Meguiars #26 locally or order Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba. Both look terrific on black.

3. Don`t rush through the polishing steps.

hftw Audi 6
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
NICE DETAIL!! I think you forgot the wells though :D

jimmy
02-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I did my buddys hood last night just to practice. I used dacp with the alcohol, smr, glaze, and wax. The results weren`t as good as i had expected. I tried different techiniques like going long fast throws, going slowly, and going fast throws but short distance and nothing worked. I used the product until you could barely see if on the hood (i worked it in for like 2 minutes) What am i doing wrong?

I have lots of MF towels. How do i do the wheel wells? Thats for telling me that! Anyhelp is greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on what products really work well. What about a larger pad? I believe i have the 6" pad with a 5" backing plate. I really appreciate yours guys help :bow

Take Care,

Jake

jimmy
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh, about the car wash shampoo. I used to use that Zip Wax stuff by turtlewax but I wanted to try something different so i am now on this simioniz stuff with canabaua beads thats suppose to foam good but it doesnt. I used to use the Meg crystal clear wash but wanted something with more foaming action.

Jake

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

With that being black start with the least agressive polish and see how it goes ..

Very good advice from a smart detailer!