PDA

View Full Version : dumb question 101- ever pour oil off a product?

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
02-23-2005, 11:44 PM
anyone here ever pour oil off a seperated LSP? I poured some off my NXT-there seems to be a fair amount of oil type substance in NXT :nixweiss

qwik5o
02-23-2005, 11:46 PM
I`m not even close to knowing the answer to this, but removing a piece of a product doesn`t ever sound like a good idea....

Scottwax
02-24-2005, 12:01 AM
No, those oils are part of the product. They are there for a reason.

wannafbody
02-24-2005, 12:08 AM
sometimes my inquisitive side gets the better of me-got to experiment with stuff

C. Charles Hahn
02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
My NXT froze and I accidentally poured some off when I didn`t realize it had separated. I ended up getting a new bottle of it after that experience.

togwt
02-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Quote: dumb question ..."

The only dumb question is the one you don`t ask. (we are all here to learn...so just ask)

The oils are there to provide lubrication (without it you`ll scratch the paint ) when you are applying the product (it also doesn`t harm the paint system to add oil, paint contains 80% oil anyway)

Paint is manufactured from resins (oil) over time these oils leach out due to environmental conditions, rain and vehicle washing concentrates or detergents and need to be replenished for both lubricating the surface during the cleaning process and rejuvenating any dried-out paint.

So I`m saying the mfg. formulated the product with oil for a reason, its not a good idea to remove or add anything to it

JonM

Setec Astronomy
02-24-2005, 08:34 AM
TOGWT...you have brought this up before, and although paint may be made from petroleum products, I don`t think it`s accurate to say that a cured paint coat has any "oils" in it. While it may be true that finish care products containing "oils" may be able to infiltrate the paint, I don`t think they are "replacing" any "lost" oils.

Jesstzn
02-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

So I`m saying the mfg. formulated the product with oil for a reason, its not a good idea to remove or add anything to it

JonM

This is my thought line too when people use a QD or water to pre moisten an applicator pad .. to me its saying you just contaminated the first area that you applied the sealant to possibly lessening its effectiveness.

togwt
02-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Quote: TOGWT...you have brought this up before, and although paint may be made from petroleum products, I don`t think it`s accurate to say that a cured paint coat has any "oils" in it. While it may be true that finish care products containing "oils" may be able to infiltrate the paint, I don`t think they are "replacing" any "lost" oils

1.âہ“â€Â¦and although paint may be made from petroleum product. I agree with this statement, crude oil is processed in a distillation column to produce the distilled (purified) oils used in paint. In the outgass process its the solvents that evapourate not the oils.

a) Paint is formulated using the following components (% varies with manufacture)

Additives (silicone) 0 â€â€œ 05%

Solvent (carrier system) 30 - 80%

Resin (oils) 20 â€â€œ 60%

Pigmentation 02 â€â€œ 40%

2. If the oils is a paint system are allowed to dry out the surface will oxidize, thatâ€â„¢s why polishes contain oils, to provide lubrication for polish application and to replace the necessary oils in the paint system lost to environmental pollutants

b) Oxidation (reduction or drying) is caused by environmental pollutants (acid rain, ozone, industrial pollutants, hydrocarbons, etc) the suns heat (which also causes paint colour fading from UV radiation) inclement weather or the use of harsh detergents. Commercial car washes using strong detergents will leach out the oils in the paint and dull the paint film surface even faster

JonM

Setec Astronomy
02-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry, but I don`t know when resins became oils. Resins are solids. Here is the Merriam-Webster Online definition:

Main Entry: 1res·in

Pronunciation: `re-z&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French resine, from Latin resina; akin to Greek rhEtinE pine resin

1 a : any of various solid or semisolid amorphous fusible flammable natural organic substances that are usually transparent or translucent and yellowish to brown, are formed especially in plant secretions, are soluble in organic solvents (as ether) but not in water, are electrical nonconductors, and are used chiefly in varnishes, printing inks, plastics, and sizes and in medicine b : ROSIN

Or, perhaps as better applies to auto finishes:

Main Entry: acrylic resin

Function: noun

: a glassy thermoplastic made by polymerizing acrylic or methacrylic acid or a derivative of either and used for cast and molded parts or as coatings and adhesives

Again, I`m not saying that finish care products with oils in them can`t get into the paint, or improve its appearance, but they aren`t replacing any oils "lost" from the paint.

wannafbody
02-24-2005, 06:21 PM
well reading another post the "oil" might be polishing oils for gloss

Ben Z.
02-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Mike-

Your logic/research will always be defeated by random, uncited quotations. :)

wannafbody
02-24-2005, 11:52 PM
i read a reply by Mike Phillips on MOL that the oils in Megs products help polymers and waxes bond to the paint-and not to wipe with a 50A/50W mixture-i wonder if this applies to all petroleum based polymers-and if water based polymers just bond differently (Zaino) ?

Setec Astronomy
02-25-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by wannafbody

...water based polymers just bond differently (Zaino) ?

Zaino is a water-based polymer? The Z2 Pro bottle says on it "Caution: Contains Aliphatic Hydrocarbons..." I guess going along with the "Chemical Engineering" nature of this post, Aliphatic Hydrocarbons must be the chemical name for water....:wall :sadwavey:

wannafbody
02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
i thought i read that Zaino was water based-i might be totally wrong tho