PDA

View Full Version : how thoroughly do you buff tire gel?

ktlimq
02-23-2005, 03:14 PM
How thoroughly do you buff tire gel?

I cleaned my tires with Mothers Car Wash and a brush. Then I applied tire gel for the first time in my life. I used Meguiars Endurance High Gloss.

The temperature during application was a little above freezing. Because I was not familiar with gel, it took about 20 minutes to dress 4 tires. Then I found I was late for an appointment. So I quickly wiped the tires with terry towel and drove to the nearby appointment location.

While I was parking, I touched a pile of old snow on the side of the road. So my front right tire got sand and dirt.

The next day, it rained a lot. However, the sand remained on the tireâ€â„¢s side wall: the gel acted as strong dust magnet.

MongooseGA
02-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it`s just a property of a thick gel such as Meg`s Endurance.

Normally, I don`t even buff my tires. As long as I got a nice smooth, consistent layer on the tire, they hold up great.

If you are looking to try something else, I highly reccomend the Sonus Total Eclipse protectnt availiable in the Autopia store. It gives the tire a dark, matte finish. The kind you`d find on a brand new, undressed tire.

benpocock
02-23-2005, 03:24 PM
I use Megs Endurance High Gloss and use a foam applicator to apply it. I tend to use enough product to cover the whole wall of the tyre and then run the pad round three or four more to take away any excess. Takes me about 5 minutes to do 4 tyres.

Ben

TW85 HHI
02-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Endurance is a PITA to use because it is so thick and I do not find it to spread very well. It is fairly durable though and gives a nice look. As for how much I buff, until I cannot see any excess product clinging to the tires.