PDA

View Full Version : Cable or Directv

Pages : [1] 2

twopu
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I`m looking to possible make the switch from cable to satellite. The Comcast cable bill in South Jersey is just ridiculous. Directv seems like the best bang for the buck for digital and HD service. Any thoughts? Also, do you have to pay an additional $4.99 for every additonal tv you have in your house?

Thanks

smfrycruzr
02-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Direct Tv is a joke compared to Dish Network...paying a service for each TV is rediculous in this day and age!!!

audio1der
02-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Being a cable guy (from Canada though) I could go on and on about it`s dependability, the ability to add high-speed internet and now digital phone together with the cable for a great bundle, and how service is included in the price (1 trip to the roof will show the merit of this) without even going into the downfalls of wireless programming.

But I`m biased;)

imported_mburnickas
02-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I have direct tv and have 6 receivers and pay about $100 for everything.

jonw440
02-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I tied the local cable for their HD package. (I had it for ONE day and cancelled it.

The ONLY cable service I have is the Broadband.

I have been a Direct TV customer for 5 years. I have HD on my Mits 46805 and local channels, one extra reciever and my bill is $54.00.

I NEVER have a picture loss problem. (Cable goes out at least once a month), The regular direct tv signal(non HD) is better than Cables picture on my other RPTV 65" mits.

Switch you will love it.

denali-d
02-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I personally have Comcast and love it. Everyone I know with DirectTV has problems. And forget about service calls, plan on playing the middleman between thier CSR`s and an installer who doesn`t want to take time out of his day when he could be making $$ on activations for weeks at a time. Satellite may have cheaper programming but when you have to buy your own equipment, replace it if it breaks, or upgrade it to take advantage of new features it`s not worth it to me. Not to mention being locked into a contract with an Early Term fee attached (BTW there is usually a fee from the service provider AND the installer because they`re losing their activation commission.) With cable there`s no worries, every time they come out with a new box all you have to do is trade in your old one, and now with the advent of ON DEMAND programming, I can`t see satellite sticking around much longer.

Wasatch
02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
If you are into sports, DTV is the only way to go.

topnotchtouch
02-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Most of the people who moan about DirecTV are people who don`t even have it. Where I live DirecTV is the ONLY option for TV and Internet acess as there is no cable or DSL anywhere near us. I have had it for 3 years and I can definitely say the failure rate is on par with cable. The affect weather has on Satellite is greatly exagerated.

NXT4now
02-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

If you are into sports, DTV is the only way to go.

Our local TV just did a comparison. Basically it breaks down to if you are a sports fan, get Direct TV. If not, get cable.

MongooseGA
02-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by mburnickas

I have direct tv and have 6 receivers and pay about $100 for everything.

You have 6 receivers?!? As in 6 big as* dishes all around the outside of your house?

AutoNova
02-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I have Comcast been good so far, I don`t know but the guys I see in my neighborhood doing the installs for Direct TV look pretty shady??? They drive some beat up white van with no markings and leave their boxes sitting in the front yard. Since I have Comcast modem it only makes sense to have their cale, never gone out.

topnotchtouch
02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

You have 6 receivers?!? As in 6 big as* dishes all around the outside of your house?

That isn`t how satellite works. I have 4 receivers, 1 dish. The dish isn`t that big either. I do have a second, larger dish for satellite internet access but, they do make a single dish that will do TV and Internet.

ScubaStevo
02-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

No. We have Bell (canada) and I run 9 tvs off of 2 dishes :)

imported_mburnickas
02-24-2005, 07:37 AM
MongooseGA--Receivers are not dishes. Receivers are the "box" you to input your projecting device.

imported_mburnickas
02-24-2005, 07:39 AM
AutoNova- I have direct tv for "TV" and Concast. oops Comcast for broadband (on routers [lan] and on wireless routers.). I installed my Direct TV myself.