PDA

View Full Version : Just tried Mothers Synwax, comparison with NXT

GoodnClean
02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I poked aroud but didn`t see any huge SynWax threads so I decided to start another one. If any mods know of one I didn`t find, feel free to merge just shoot me a PM to let me know you did it ;)

Anyways I stopped by Advance Auto Parts yesterday and saw the new Mothers SynWax and thought I`d buy some. I got home a little early today and it was 50 or so, so I decided I`d do a nice wash and throw a coat of the SynWax on to see how it looks.

The obvious competitor for this product is NXT, you can see that in how its marketed and packaged. All in all I say not bad, and great for a consumer level product.

The main reason I tried it is that I read in places that some people felt that it had better swirl hiding properties than NXT. Now, NXT is probably the best LSP I`ve ever used at hiding swirls. I also firmly believe that with the right pad/buffer combo you can remove swirls with NXT. So I had high hopes for SynWax in this regard.

The test bed was my 2003 Lexus ES300 with some light to somewhat moderate swirls on the lower panels caused by non-Autopian winter washes, couple of trips through a carwash etc. It had 2 coats of EX-P and 2 coats of #16 on it before winter which was holding up well with WAUD boosters after washes. Basically the same condition it was in this time last year when I tried NXT on it. All I did was wash with WAUD (like I always do) then I used the SynWax with a polishing pad on speed 4 on the PC, just like I did NXT. I also did one half of a door with NXT and one half with SynWax. Unfortunately I don`t have any pics as I was fighting the sun the whole time.

I was actually quite impressed with SynWax but its very different than NXT. Much easier to work with, but not the same swirl hiding properties IMHO. NXT was noticably better in this regard. I`d say that SynWax was noticably easier to work with than NXT which I always had horrible smearing problems with. It struck me as similar to EX-P in looks although slickness wasn`t much improved over the washed and WAUD`d surface. Look was though. Like NXT it looks noticably better and feels slicker a couple hours after application.

All in all, nice product and probably the only arguably true sealant in the consumer marketplace.

termigator
02-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Good review. I`ve been thinking the same thing about the lack of threads for SynWax and just Mother`s products in general. How many coats did you put on? Would you use it instead of NXT?

How did you remove the swirls with NXT? I know NXT is supposed to have swirl-hiding capability, but it didn`t really do much for me. I couldn`t get rid of them until I used some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

GoodnClean
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I would definately use it instead of NXT, unless I was doing a one step swirl removal/hiding and protectant. The SynWax makes a better LSP.

As for removing swirls with NXT, you need to use a polishing or cutting pad with the PC.

Scottwax
02-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Good review. Do you have a vehicle you could do a durability test on? I`d be interested to see how it holds up vs. NXT.

GoodnClean
02-22-2005, 11:09 PM
My car should make a good durability testbed this time of year if I can refrain from using the WAUD ;)

Actually the best testbed would be our Prius that sits outside all the time. Maybe I`ll get it cleaned up and throw a coat of the Synwax on it.

Scottwax
02-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I know what you mean, Steve. My car is a terrible test bed for anything other than initial appearance. I just can`t leave my car alone long enough. ;)

GoodnClean
02-22-2005, 11:49 PM
LOL, I know!

Alfisti
02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Nice comparison, with some helpful observations. Thanks. :up

Originally posted by GoodnClean

All in all, nice product and probably the only arguably true sealant in the consumer marketplace.

Also, I think the new Reflections would qualify as a sealant...not the Top Coat, just the basic Reflections.

GoodnClean
02-23-2005, 01:57 PM
It looks better today in the light, and the swirls are better hidden too, interesting.

I`m about to head out and get some lunch, I`ll take my camera with me and see if I can get any shots.

JeffM
02-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Does it turn white on trim?

GoodnClean
02-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I don`t have any black trim on mine but it doesn`t seem to turn white in crevices or anything like that so my GUESS would be no.

I have a couple quick pics I took in a parking lot today because the light looked right that I`ll post.

GoodnClean
02-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Pics are up in the Click and Brag

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51169

termigator
02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

I would definately use it instead of NXT, unless I was doing a one step swirl removal/hiding and protectant. The SynWax makes a better LSP.

As for removing swirls with NXT, you need to use a polishing or cutting pad with the PC.

Hmmm..., NXT with a polishing pad. Gotta give that a try. Will use my mom`s car as the test mule.:D

Saw your car in the Brag section. Very nice. Is it garaged?

bcwang
04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
GoodnClean,

Any results on the durability of FX?

imported_BigTinVA
04-21-2005, 08:43 PM
What is the best way to apply SynWax by hand?