PDA

View Full Version : Having a comp. problem

imported_SouthernZ71
02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
and want to do a clean install. After many roommates and tons of downloading (god knows what), I want to get back to square one and do a clean install of windows XP.

So how do I delete/format the old partition for a clean install?

Tried google, but can`t seem to find what I need as I don`t know the correct terms?

Thanks for the help

imported_perry
02-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Download whatever drivers you need and put em on a CD. Would also be a good idea to download Windows XP SP 2 and put it on a CD. Link to SP 2 download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en). An unpatched Windows machine directly connected to the Internet can become infected with viruses in a matter of seconds!

Unplug the network cable.

Put the XP disc in, boot off it, let it format the drive as part of the setup process. The CD allows you to delete, create, and format partitions.

Install drivers and SP 2. Create a restricted user for the roommates to use, maybe a power user for you to use. Not a good idea to use an administrator account all the time.

Plug in network cable.

Spilchy
02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by perry

Plug in network cable.

Then load your virus protection program and run a "Live Update"

Reboot and run it again just to be sure you got it all.

Finish by running "Windows Update" and downloading every critical update. Reboot and run again to be sure you got it all.

imported_SouthernZ71
02-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Great, Thanks a lot for the help!

Everything is back to normal, except I can`t conect to the internet?

Using a Motorola Surfboard, Netgear router and netgear card. Everything is installed and lights are lit up for service, but anytime I try to conect to my service it won`t and says there are other services in range. (assume it`s neighbors)

When I try to conect to my connection it says "error connectin, it is not possible to conect @ this time no network detected, you may need to plug in network cable to complete the connection"

What gives?

Thanks for the help

Spilchy
02-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Obnviously make sure all cables are plugged in!

The driver for your netgear card may not be recognized. You may have to install it. However, XP should pick it up.

Try unplugging your router and modem. Plug back in your modem and plug back in your router a minute later.

I don`t use wireless, but if you interfere with your neighbor, you might have to change what "channel" you are on (if channel is the right word).

Type 192.168.0.1 in your browser window and enter into your router configuration with the proper username and password. You can change the settings there.

Or you may not be pulling a proper IP address. After you reboot your modem and router.

Click Start > Run > type "cmd" with out the quotes

Once you get that black screen type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes but be sure to type the "/"

Then type "ipconfig /renew" without the quotes but be sure to type the "/"

You`ll pull a new IP address.

Reboot and try again.

This what I can think of without being there. I`m much better at troubleshooting in person.

imported_SouthernZ71
02-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Spilchy -

All cables are attached modem/router have been unplugged numerous times, per your instructions.

I was able to connect to the internet through my "neighbors" line or whoever it is, but can`t type the above 192.... addy in to adjust my settings. (can get on here and whatever site I want to, but not that addy)

typed in the above for a new IP addy and will reboot when I finish this...

Will check back in a min, thanks for the help

max_man_94_01
02-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Now that you have a pristine machine, you might want to create an image of the machine. If you have Norton Systemworks Pro, get a Ghost Image of your machine...just my two cents...

imported_SouthernZ71
02-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the great help from everyone.

A buddy came over and asked "did you reset the router" "Duh, what do you mean RESET?" Didn`t realize that I needed to reset the router, now everything is fine...

Now to catch up on the past 4 days of work...

Thanks again....

Spilchy
02-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SouthernZ71

Thanks for all the great help from everyone.

A buddy came over and asked "did you reset the router" "Duh, what do you mean RESET?"

Isn`t that what unplugging, waiting and then plugging it back in does?? :nixweiss

imported_SouthernZ71
02-25-2005, 09:12 PM
It would make sense, but no. On my model netgear (maybe others) there is a little button on the back that needs a paper clip to press. Press and hold for 10 seconds, release, unplug, wait a minute and plug in.

Learn something new everyday.... thanks again