PDA

View Full Version : My Creeper Broke and I Fell! (ow)

crobinso
02-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Alas, my creeper stool failed while I was cleaning my car a couple of Fridays ago. I purchased the stool, a cheap metal frame with 5 wheels, from Pep Boys in 2003. It cost $59.

When I backed up, I heard a crunch. The wheel nut had broken. At the same time I heard the crunch, I began to tilt backwards. Down I went onto my garage floor with a bang. I landed on my lower back. Owww.

The lower frame of the stool (which holds the 5 wheels) bent. Here`s a link to a pic of the old stool:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cwrob...a0e.jpg&.src=ph

The stool ended up upside down, with the seat on the floor, and the remaining 4 wheels in the air.

As I quietly lay on my back for the next 10 - 15 minutes, wondering how I was going to get up, my wife calls me (I keep my cell phone in my shirt pocket) to tell me I don`t have to pick up the grandkids from daycare. "Oh, good!" I said, and ended the call This turn of events allowed me more time to consider my options: call 911, or wait for my wife to get home several hours from now. Luckily, the temperature was warm that day...

I decided to roll over onto my stomach. Then, I used my hands as pushrods and lifted myself into a kneeling position. That is not easy to do when you weigh 500 pounds! Finally, I used my car`s tire as a support, and lifted myself into a standing position. I did it! I did it!

The back pain, although severe, wasn`t so bad that I couldn`t walk. I hobbled over to my desk and sat down in a real chair. Then I waited for my wife to come home. I was served dinner in my garage that night. After another few hours, I hobbled inside to go to bed. I didn`t get out of bed until Monday.

So now I was left with the problem of what kind of creeper to buy. I Googled for all sorts of heavy-duty creepers, but they just don`t make such things as labeled. By accident, I ran across a site that sells physicians` stools, which look just like auto creeper stools. After more Googling, I found a company that had just the right stool for me: (it`s the second stool from the top)

http://www.sourcemedicalequipment.com/medical-equipment/pneumatic-stools.asp

I ordered the second stool from the top, Item G-100. It has a 375-lb. capacity, which is good enough. The old stool prolly had a 200-lb capacity. The stool I ordered has better casters, a wider base for the casters, and thicker metal overall. It also seats taller, so I won`t be as squat when I detail my car. My knees will be pleased.

S/H for this item was $20. I should get it in 5-7 days if it is in stock, or in 2-3 weeks directly from the manufacturer if it is not.

I feel much better now that a week has passed. In fact, a chronic back pain that I`d suffered for 5 years is now gone. Imagine that?

Charles

C. Charles Hahn
02-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Man, that sucks. I`ve got a similar problem with a wheel nut that doesn`t want to stay tightened down on the creeper. Every time I go over a crack in the driveway or garage I`ve got to really watch the wheel -- I`ve learned to reach down and hold it in place while I roll with my feet.

But $59 for that stool is NOT cheap.... I got mine for $15 :p

RedondoV6
02-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Good to hear that you are OK after your fall Charles, let us know how that new chair works out for you.

Like I said in that other thread, the average automotive creeper seat does not impress me at all and I`ve been using the bottom seats off old office chairs for a couple of years instead. I`ll be interested to hear how that Doctors chair works out for you.

sQuashed
02-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Sorry to hear that Charles. I hope the Plastic looking wheels on the new(pictured) one are much more sturdy.

medic159
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

...I`ve got a similar problem with a wheel nut that doesn`t want to stay tightened down on the creeper...

Me too!! Must be some sort of creeper stool disease. :nixweiss

03COBRA
02-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!:D

Here is the creeper I`m supposed to get today, It`s also a 5 gallon wash bucket with Grit Guard, and a dolly to roll around when washing or polishing! Seemed like a great deal! At $50 it`s a little bit expensive, but is very versatile!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/images/site_images/BucketPlusweb2.jpg

Accumulator
02-22-2005, 11:58 AM
crobinso- Glad you`re OK! Hope the new one works out better. Also hope the chronic back pain stays away. IMO *no* cost savings is worth the risk of injury.

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr

I`ve got a similar problem with a wheel nut that doesn`t want to stay tightened down on the creeper...

Might oughta Lock-Tite that before you have an accident.